4 (50%)
The Old Man & the Gun
0 (0%)
Green Knight
0 (0%)
Peter Pan & Wendy
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Lowery, David  (Read 1121 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Lowery, David
« on: September 29, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »
1. A Ghost Story
2. The Old Man and the Gun

3. Pete's Dragon
4. The Green Knight
5. Ain't Them Bodies Saints
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 10:49:55 PM by 1SO »

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
Re: Lowery, David
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 03:41:17 PM »
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
A Ghost Story
The Green Knight
The Old Man & the Gun

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 03:41:55 AM by goodguy »

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 09:05:19 PM »
The Old Man and the Gun 9/10
Ain't Them Bodies Saints 5/10
A Ghost Story 1/10

As you can see, all over the map with this one. I don't think he has much to say which makes him perfect for genre films (where the subtext lies dormant), but he strangely has an affinity for arthouse cliches. He also needs to stop casting Casey Affleck.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »
Ain't Them Bodies Saints (2013)
★ ★ ½
One can imagine an alternate universe where this is the debut of Terrence Malick. Having this early feature be the one I caught up with, I'm far more interested in the career ahead for Lowery, who's gone in a more narrative direction by comparison, merging the art house photography and editing of this film to stronger plots in his later work.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 05:44:37 PM »
Figured he'd have a thread but also not surprised by lack of discussion given how particularly underwhelming I found his work.

Pete's Dragon
The Green Knight

A Ghost Story

Here's a review:

The Green Knight (2021)

The trailer and the hype sold this as something I'm not sure it is. I don't find it nearly as cinematic or enrapturing as others have made it sound. What is here is a fine mood piece with an interesting visual style that doesn't always land. I admire the take as an inverse of the original poem in terms of the character's journey and I think it makes for a solid adaption, I just also find the actual style and direction of it sometimes lacking.

There are sequences and scenes where I think Lowery is a bit too precious with thinking he's come upon something profound where honestly his work comes across like a film school project. It's a well-produced film school project, but he lingers on moments that emphasizes the wrong thing, for instance he once again has to indulge in a character going on a monologue about what the movie means, which is antithetical to cinema.

I don't need a scene on why the green knight is green and what it symbolically means. It's reminiscent of a freshman English teacher asking you what the green light means because they're so caught up in how important symbolism is they miss that the writer simply liked the color green. It's so up its own ass you just feel a bit embarrassed by the scene, which is how I felt about most of A Ghost Story.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It has its cool moments, but I think honestly less would be more here and it is a bit overlong for what to amounts as not much of a story. The final 10 minutes are fantastic and condensed in such a way that makes me wish the rest of the movie could have been trimmed down the 80 minutes.