love

Author Topic: A Star is Born  (Read 2511 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
A Star is Born
« on: October 08, 2018, 03:26:05 PM »
I am a big fan of the James Mason/Judy Garland version (I've never seen the original or the film these movies were based off of).  This is an interesting take and I wanted to post this here because I am really curious about the opening sequence, this is the spoiler edition movie talk area, but I will black it out just in case the meeting scene between Jackson
 and Ally, is that meant to be a sort-of Brokeback Mountain moment?  The scene is set in a drag queen event, and her makeup is meant to give her the appearance of a drag queen, if Ally had been a man would Jack have still felt the same? Especially given the machismo wrapped up in cowboy musicians and the hard drinking man's man Jackson seems to portray, I found it extraordinarily interesting in that moment (even taking into account Judy Garland's iconic ties to the LGBTQ scene).
It seems that it would be a different movie, or maybe not?

The film itself is fun to watch, though I felt there were lots of weird pauses where a song would start, we get a musical, then stop and no not a musical.  Musicals in general are long and I wonder if it was meant to tell this story and make it much shorter, but how much more fun would it have been if we let Lady Gaga sing to us for most of the film.

There were lots of moments in this film, but I am not sure that makes it a good movie and certainly there are problems with characters like Sam Elliott (who is great), but the relationship seems too cowboy-edgy to be realistic.  Dave Chappelle is also great, but the lets get married right now in my cousins church scene pushes the boundaries of believable, why not just let Dave be the preacher and do it in the backyard? It is a romantic film and it is really  nice to look at, the visuals and technical aspects are really well done. And our ending it is what it is, an alcoholic/addict will always break your heart, but I was hoping maybe there might be room for a more modern take on that...which of course could lead us into another topic of debate, was Jackson unbelievably selfish or was it true love?  And why can't there be room for both without going the route that character always goes?  Though the ending is probably the most realistic part of the film.

More songs imo, but very enjoyable.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
Re: A Star is Born
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 03:39:32 AM »
This made LA LA LAND look a masterpiece. What a dull, overlong, uninspired mess. Cooper's performance any MAYBE the performance of "Shallow" were the only highlights.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 05:45:07 AM »
Re: the drag bar question. I remember it as when they introduce Ally they make it clear she’s there to perform and isn’t like the other drag queens. Invited to perform as a guest/friend and not one of them.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 06:04:32 AM »
On that subject, the name "Ally" can't be a coincidence right ?
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 07:57:44 PM »
What Corndog mentioned, I never got the impression he was confused about who Ally was.

I have not seen any of the prior 3 versions so don't have anything to compare this to but thought it was quite good. I can't say it was enjoyable but thought it felt genuine without being eye-rolling sappy. Maybe too genuine at times as my wife was in tears which didn't help myself. Though, she questioned if it was the movie or due to the bottle of wine we were drinking during the film, which is probably a bit ironic.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 09:07:37 PM »
I must have missed the introduction or just not heard it, I guess I should have phrased my question in a way that excluded such "clear" explanation because while I think there was some inclusive aspects to Jackson's character (or Coopers attempt to be more inclusive directorally), is it  the same film if there is some ambiguity?  I like the idea of challenging the norms of conventional romanticism, which this film absolutely does not do, but it felt like it hinted at it. Anyway, must not be that interesting I just thought it funny that a star of his caliber would wander on into a bar like that given the hyper masculinity of country music male star in general. More likely it probably was just meant to demonstrate the gross nature of his alcoholism, doesn't matter where, when or with whom he is going to drink, a sign of a true alcoholic lol
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 09:52:00 PM »
More likely it probably was just meant to demonstrate the gross nature of his alcoholism, doesn't matter where, when or with whom he is going to drink, a sign of a true alcoholic lol

I think this is the best explanation, he clearly didn't know where he was until he was already sitting and I ordered a drink. But he also didn't seem to have any issue or felt uncomfortable being there either but I don't believe there was any ambiguity. Even if there was, it would have quickly fleeted when he met her so would seem an odd throwaway moment that never gets revisited.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 10:05:00 PM »
a sign of a true alcoholic lol

...until he was already sitting and I ordered a drink.

Freudian slip?  Hehe

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 10:50:21 PM »
a sign of a true alcoholic lol

...until he was already sitting and I ordered a drink.

Freudian slip?  Hehe

lol, well, I didn't order a drink but I did pull a bottle of wine out of my bag and poured a couple of classes.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 04:34:24 PM »
My biggest question:

Is A Star is Born part of the Mule-niverse?

The Mule trailer played before the movie. Clint Eastwood is an old farmer transporting drugs along with his pecans. In A Star is Born Cooper says his father was a pecan farmer...

So, the Bradley Cooper in The Mule must be some inter-dimensional-traveling Jackson Maine...

love