love

Author Topic: The Top 100 Club: Knocked Out Loaded  (Read 13241 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: The Top 100 Club: Knocked Out Loaded
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2019, 09:15:58 PM »
Knocked Out Loaded, I'm going to watch:

House
Something from the Decalogue
The New Land (This will be a rewatch. I didn't get a chance to write about it the last time it was your month.)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2019, 09:42:04 PM »
Do I go bold (The Turin Horse) or do I got safe (Bridges of Madison County)?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2019, 09:49:02 PM »
The only way I see you watching Turin Horse is with a machine that puts money on the table every minute for as long as you watch. Even then, you'll see the stack and think, "that's plenty", collect your reward and get on with your life.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2019, 10:12:09 PM »
LOS OLVIDADOS looks really great and I've read about Luis Bunuel, but never seen anything he's directed.  I would also like to revisit THE HOURS. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2019, 12:15:42 AM »
Knocked Out Loaded, I'm going to watch:

House
Something from the Decalogue
The New Land (This will be a rewatch. I didn't get a chance to write about it the last time it was your month.)
In Sweden you can buy small bags of candy that contain a mix of sweet, sour and salty pieces. It seems like you picked such a bag this month! :)
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2019, 12:35:44 AM »
Both movies deal with pain, but what 1SO said could be right. He knows you better than I do. :)
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2019, 02:38:58 AM »
The only way I see you watching Turin Horse is with a machine that puts money on the table every minute for as long as you watch. Even then, you'll see the stack and think, "that's plenty", collect your reward and get on with your life.

Beautifully written  :D

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2019, 03:40:51 AM »
LOS OLVIDADOS looks really great and I've read about Luis Bunuel, but never seen anything he's directed.  I would also like to revisit THE HOURS.
Los Olvidados must be a good fit if we take your knick into account! I too could revisit The Hours, which somehow seems to get too little appreciation among us film buffs. Good luck! :)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2019, 04:29:09 AM »
Both movies deal with pain, but what 1SO said could be right. He knows you better than I do. :)

Haha, I'm under no illusions on this, I hated Werckmeister Harmonies. Turin Horse is just the easiest for me to access. Bridges is, naturally, available at the library. I didn't run the list of my unwatched ones through JustWatch to see if any are on streaming/rental places. I should probably just pay for Letterboxd Pro so I can let it tell me assuming their listings are reliable.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2019, 10:22:55 AM »
Broadway Danny Rose

I found another one I had ready access to...though I suppose this one has a cloud over it as well. A Bela Tarr film comes with preconceptions about style and how that will work for me. A Woody Allen comes with a conflicted feeling due to his personal being. It would be easier if his personal failings were not so clearly woven into his movies. Watching this I realized I was playing the game "how long until Allen does something creepy relating to a young girl." In this case, it was about 16 minutes in when he asks the 12-year-old daughter of one of his clients (Danny Rose being an agent) if she is married. Yes, just a playful joke of the sort that older people tell to young people, but given the context of Allen, it's one of those moments that pulls you out for a second.

There are two things with Allen that tend to be problems. My clear favorite of his films is Match Point, and I think a large part of that is the absence of Allen on screen. Even Whatever Works, which more clearly has a Allen stand-in played by Larry David, is a stronger entry for me. Allen is just a tiresome screen presence because of the sheer volume of words coming out of his mouth. At some point it just becomes noise and this film in particular feels noisy.

The second, and one that even Match Point ultimately has shadowing over it, is the treatment of women. A film like Match Point focuses on how women are a burden on men while in others women are the means for men to discover things about themselves. The significant chunk of story here involves Rose chasing after his client's mistress. So for starters we have Allen stalking a woman who has clearly told him no, until she relents. In spite ample screen time Tina (Mia Farrow) doesn't feel like a real character. Instead, she is a source of chaos and stress for all those men who cross her path, liable to cost them their success if not their life. The remarkable thing to me is the shell story, this is all a story being told between comics in a New York diner. I'd definitely make the person telling this story pay my check for wasting my time.