love

Author Topic: The Top 100 Club: Knocked Out Loaded  (Read 13222 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: The Top 100 Club: Knocked Out Loaded
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2019, 03:12:31 PM »
THE HOURS - This was a rewatch for me and a new reflection on a film that is really hard to pick a place to review from.  Initially, I wanted to be angry at the characters because on the surface it feels selfish and limited in perspective to those with significant means (the 1%ers of Maslow's triangle).  But that would be superficial and I would also be missing the point that happiness life is not measured in material things or meeting societal standards of married with kids, two cars, and two TVs.  "The problem with no name" is alive in these strong characters, who each are eventually relieved of their burdens by choice or happenstance.  I think I disagree with physical death bringing contrast, I believe death of the former life that imprisons is the more constructive and instructive contrast.  And though once upon a time I dwelled in such a prison, I do not presume to know the pain others feel and there is a bravery in facing the unknown.  The acting in this incredible, but I believe Julianne Moore steals the stage as does her young son played by Jack Rovello.  Rovello's face in the street when he chases after his mother is incredibly emotional without tears or words, powerful acting, like a silent film star.  The music by Phillip Glass is very well-done and keeps you frozen in the heaviness of feeling throughout, which I would guess most find to be too depressing to actually enjoy.  I also really enjoyed the continuity of the film that flowed between the time periods that made it seem as if they were each happening simultaneously.  A kind of film-quantum-entanglement where the events of the past directly impact the future. I do enjoy this, but as there have been major changes in my life that chapter has closed as does dwelling too long in those thoughts and past moments.  Still a very good film.

7/10
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2019, 09:33:57 PM »
A kind of film-quantum-entanglement

Nice. Like Cloud Atlas, but good.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2019, 08:46:27 PM »

LOL!  Awwww, but I liked CLOUD ATLAS a lot! 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2019, 01:17:22 AM »

LOL!  Awwww, but I liked CLOUD ATLAS a lot! 

That strangesome yarn? You sweet on Hanks' yibberin'? You are spesh smartsome to peep and scav the true true in that old curio. I double-peeped it and cogg'd no meaning. :)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2019, 01:23:03 AM »
LOLOL-that was really good

I don't think there were any particularly special meanings to it, but I like the idea of being linked through time and crossing paths in all kinds of alternate times/worlds, makes the idea of death is not the end seem more possible, otherwise it is all just a floating rock without purpose, hurrying to nothing and from nothing

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2019, 01:26:38 AM »
Well said. I am eager to think of, or hear of, other examples of stories that play with this "linked through time" quality. The Hours is one I gave full marks to after a first viewing. That was some time ago now and am still wanting to rewatch it. I should really just make that happen.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2019, 03:24:46 PM »
That strangesome yarn? You sweet on Hanks' yibberin'? You are spesh smartsome to peep and scav the true true in that old curio. I double-peeped it and cogg'd no meaning. :)

:))

what the?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2019, 08:48:06 PM »
It'll make more sense if you ever catch up with Cloud Atlas. :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2019, 09:27:37 PM »
It'll make more sense if you ever catch up with Cloud Atlas. :)

Looks like I'd need subtitles. :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2019, 12:56:06 AM »
House

You know what's really horrifying? Transporting back in time to this age group. Who knew there were so many skeletons in my own mind's mid-adolescence closet? A closet that had been shut and pushed way back to the furthest recesses, to be forgotten. But no, five minutes into the film, the skeletons come tumbling out. Skeletons of body image, socioeconomic standing and the worst, friend navigation. Teenage girls are a strange and frightening species, where loyalty is laden down with libel and nothing is as it seems. Friends or foes, or froes? Poor Mac, she's the butt of all the jokes and is forgotten as soon as she disappears. All the girls are inclined to be too preoccupied with self, to see that their numbers are dwindling. There is a moment of sisterhood power, but it comes too late in the game for it to matter much.

It's hard to see where anything matters much in the story as a whole, except for flaunting whiz-bang 70's era effects and showcasing irrational fears. The plot be hanged! Bring on the colored cartoon lights and smother us with pillows! Oh, and make sure Sandy opens that old closet of hers. That should be fun.

love