Author Topic: #704: Suspiria / Top 5 Uses of Color  (Read 1253 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
#704: Suspiria / Top 5 Uses of Color
« on: November 04, 2018, 10:24:58 PM »
This episode is sponsored by the color red.

For his remake of the Dario Argento cult horror classic SUSPIRIA, Luca Guadagnino ("Call Me By Your Name") keeps the '70s German dance academy setting, but adds a lot of real-world political upheaval to the original's bloody witches' brew. Adam and Josh debate the effectiveness of Guadagnino and company's intellectual approach to the story's giallo origins. Plus: there are color movies and then there are movies that have color. Giants of world cinema Kurosawa, Bergman and Hitchcock knew how to flaunt it, but so do an emerging class of young filmmakers who make savvy use of the cinematic palette.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:27:15 AM by Adam »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
Re: #704: Suspiria / Top 5 Uses of Color
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 10:27:43 PM »
I saw that this episode's top 5 was Uses of Colour and went into this episode waiting to hear talk about Greenaway's The Cook The Thief His Wife and Her Lover, but no. I just do not understand how it could not be left off the list. I have to assume it was a gross oversight.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:27:27 AM by Adam »

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:27:51 AM »
I saw that this episode's top 5 was Uses of Colour and went into this episode waiting to hear talk about Greenaway's The Cook The Thief His Wife and Her Lover, but no. I just do not understand how it could not be left off the list. I have to assume it was a gross oversight.
The honorable mention didn't work?
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 04:42:03 PM »
<Face palm> Missed the honourable mention, apologies. Still think it should have been on at least one of the top 5 though.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 05:20:35 PM »
I didn’t think of it but once I heard it mentioned I was disappointed it didn’t make either list. I also think 2046 is the superior WKW film in terms of color. Overall, it was one of my favorite lists because choices were perfectly balanced between being thought out intellectually and being personal to the hosts, proven by how much they had to say about each selection.