love

Author Topic: #709: If Beale Street Could Talk / Shoplifters  (Read 877 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
#709: If Beale Street Could Talk / Shoplifters
« on: December 14, 2018, 12:54:55 AM »
In the absurd rush to catch up with the best of the year before the end of the year, it's nice when a film forces you into its own patient rhythm. Even better when it looks and sounds as good as IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK, the latest from director Barry Jenkins. Along with that, Adam and Josh have a review of the Palme d'Or-winning SHOPLIFTERS from Japan's Hirokazu Kore-eda, and recommendations for Golden Brick-worthy films from directors Alice Rohrwacher ("Happy as Lazzaro"), Jennifer Fox ("The Tale"), Sandi Tan ("Shirkers") and Jim Cummings ("Thunder Road"). Plus, Massacre Theatre and Adam's thoughts on the new SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE.
Texan Down Under

Dman

Re: #709: If Beale Street Could Talk / Shoplifters
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 07:38:46 PM »
I haven't seen Beale Street yet because it hasn't opened in the Washington, DC area. Considering my absolute love for Moonlight and Barry Jenkins' artistry, it's certainly at the top of my list. I appreciate your review but I feel as though I have to point out that I don't recall any discussion regarding the very gifted 3-time Emmy winning actress Regina King as the mother of the main female character and speaking as a longtime fan of her work, I'm a little taken aback by that. It's my understanding that even though she's a supporting character, she gives the best performance in the film. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, she has won some critic awards already and considered by most Oscar prognosticators to be the front runner for Best Supporting Actress. Just saying.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
Re: #709: If Beale Street Could Talk / Shoplifters
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »
I haven't seen Beale Street yet because it hasn't opened in the Washington, DC area. Considering my absolute love for Moonlight and Barry Jenkins' artistry, it's certainly at the top of my list. I appreciate your review but I feel as though I have to point out that I don't recall any discussion regarding the very gifted 3-time Emmy winning actress Regina King as the mother of the main female character and speaking as a longtime fan of her work, I'm a little taken aback by that. It's my understanding that even though she's a supporting character, she gives the best performance in the film. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, she has won some critic awards already and considered by most Oscar prognosticators to be the front runner for Best Supporting Actress. Just saying.
I think she's wonderful. She was on my CFCA ballot. Chalk it up to what happens sometimes with reviews - I didn't have anything to say about her performance beyond how much I enjoyed it. For better or worse, and usually probably worse, I don't approach reviews as if there's a checklist of things I need to comment on, no matter how positive or negative. It's just where the conversation goes.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)