Author Topic: Politics  (Read 249941 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
Re: Politics
« Reply #6940 on: January 10, 2021, 06:14:31 PM »
My brain has gone a lot of places in the past 5 days. I think what it comes down to is that if we don't start prosecuting these white supremacists as soon as possible while also seeking impeachment of Trump and other sanctions against enabling politicians this country will face similar terrorist attacks by white supremacist groups. Homeland Security and the FBI have said for decades that these violent groups were the most dangerous domestic group in our nation and if we don't demonstrate zero tolerance for this here at the beginning of violent action, it will continue. If the liberal powers that be try to do half-baked peacemaking here in order to "heal" the nation, we will just leave the rot of white supremacy to continue to take over more of the United States. It's time to cut off the rot.
"It's all research." -roujin

etdoesgood

• Elite Member
  • Edelweiss, edelweiss, every morning you greet me
« Reply #6941 on: January 10, 2021, 06:30:10 PM »
Yesss, I agree. I came to understand what the Michigan Militia was through the Oklahoma City Bombing, and since then I've never been able to understand why it's legal. It's not like it fits the old rules for being some state sanctioned fighting force to protect us from foreign invaders, it's anti-government and treasonist. Overwhelm them with the national guard or whoever you need to, and bring them in, try them, and put them away for life. Hate speech incites violence, we can see it plainly, so hate speech should be prosecuted. We just have to figure out the legal language that will separate hate speech from speech-in-protest. In all, time to start prosecuting the real criminals, while also setting free the people in prison for most drug crimes, or people serving onerous sentences that deserve another chance.
A desert person.

Simple Distinctions:
The Best  |  Exceptional  |  Favorable  |  Unfavorable  | Bad

Antares

• Elite Member
« Reply #6942 on: January 11, 2021, 04:40:41 AM »
My brain has gone a lot of places in the past 5 days. I think what it comes down to is that if we don't start prosecuting these white supremacists as soon as possible while also seeking impeachment of Trump and other sanctions against enabling politicians this country will face similar terrorist attacks by white supremacist groups. Homeland Security and the FBI have said for decades that these violent groups were the most dangerous domestic group in our nation and if we don't demonstrate zero tolerance for this here at the beginning of violent action, it will continue. If the liberal powers that be try to do half-baked peacemaking here in order to "heal" the nation, we will just leave the rot of white supremacy to continue to take over more of the United States. It's time to cut off the rot.

Agreed
Masterpiece | Classic | Entertaining | Mediocre | Cinemuck | Crap

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6943 on: Yesterday at 07:29:12 PM »
Me after looking at Twitter: Mistakes were made.

The left-leaning people currently yelling about Chuck Schumer agreeing to a power-sharing agreement with Mitch McConnell and basically using it as an example of Democratic betrayal are showing their whole ass. Democrats do not have a majority in the Senate. A majority is 50%+1, not 50%. While the Vice President has the ability to break ties, and thus can make Schumer "Majority" Leader, she can't break ties in committees, which by the nature of a 50/50 Senate will have equal members from each party. The kind of agreement Schumer and McConnell are doing is essentially a requirement in this situation. To criticize it and blame Democrats for failing is to show that they hate the Democrats more than they know what they are talking about. Winning the seats in Georgia was still vital in so many ways, but this arrangement was the best case scenario (unless they can tempt Romney or Murkowski into caucusing with them).

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #6944 on: Yesterday at 08:20:44 PM »
Do you think Mitch would have done the exact same thing were it a 50/50 split with a Republican VP?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

etdoesgood

• Elite Member
  • Edelweiss, edelweiss, every morning you greet me
« Reply #6945 on: Yesterday at 08:31:37 PM »
I'm tapping out of this thread. I'm just going to get involved in left wing causes locally and try to keep the dream alive for people who eventually tire of the oppressive relationships in our society, the undemocratic political system, and the poison of capitalism in its current form in America. Maybe I'll start an activism thread when I get going. This might mean going back on social media, though.

Arguing the center vs. the left is getting tiring and it just doesn't seem to go anywhere, but that's just me.
A desert person.

Simple Distinctions:
The Best  |  Exceptional  |  Favorable  |  Unfavorable  | Bad

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6946 on: Yesterday at 09:09:44 PM »
I'm planning to get more involved post-COVID...do some YIMBY activism by showing up at planning committee public hearings and saying they should probably approve whatever is being proposed.

Do you think Mitch would have done the exact same thing were it a 50/50 split with a Republican VP?

I mean, it wasn't Mitch but the Republicans literally did this in 2001. I'm not even sure what you are claiming the parliamentary alternative is.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #6947 on: Yesterday at 09:39:07 PM »
And absolutely nothing has changed since 2001! Not like Mitch has become the supreme obstructionist.

I don't know what the alternative is. I'm not a congressional parliamentarian. And you'll notice that I never actually blamed Chuck for doing this. But I also don't think it's absurd to suggest that Mitch would have found a way to be an asshole about it, and that Dems too often look to take the high road when doing that only nets you a little less power than they might have had they played by the same rules as their opposition.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6948 on: Yesterday at 10:05:13 PM »
People right now are just so worried there won't be consequences for the last four years (and before that in the Senate.) Democrats have been hurting for so long, and there are some real dangerous characters on the GOP side. There's a reflex panic because we have to turn this very large ship around and the less obstruction, the sooner we can start getting back on the right track of helping people instead of hurting them.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #6949 on: Today at 02:50:51 PM »
I know everyone is (rightfully) concerned with US politics right now, but here's something a little different. Heard of Alexey Navalny? He's been the main guy opposing Putin for five years or so, you probably remember him being poisoned and now being arrested upon his return to Russia. He had obviously foreseen this (not very difficult tbh) and released this piece of investigative journalism/agitprop today, exposing Putin's personal corruption. Obviously it's long, and it certainly does not hold much cinematic value, but it seems to me that this is a pretty important political development happening right now (it starts by calling for protests to take place all over the country over Navalny's arrest this Saturday), and if you have any interest in this subject matter, it's an interesting (and often amusing) exposé.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipAnwilMncI&feature=youtu.be
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

love