love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75700 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1040 on: July 04, 2021, 05:29:36 PM »
Card optimization is always part of the discovery of deck builders. I think teaching you the combos would ruin the joy of discovering new strategies.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1041 on: July 04, 2021, 06:21:05 PM »
The combos I can put together through trial and error or card descriptions, the issue I have is knowing how to spot which cards are excessive in the loose idea I have of a deck I’m constructing.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1042 on: July 04, 2021, 07:20:53 PM »
Less is usually more in my experience. One or two good combos beat a few great combos that are hard to draw consistently.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1043 on: July 04, 2021, 07:39:31 PM »
Agreed, that definitely seems to be the case, I'm just not always sure how to take the steps to get to that position, so I wish they had some tutorializing with it. It also hits at my Clash Royale nerves since I CINECAST!ing hate low elixir cycle decks and actively try to beat them and never play them, so I need to switch off that part of my brain.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1044 on: July 12, 2021, 07:21:23 PM »
I guess I didn't share it here but I started replaying Dark Souls. I never beat the DLC so I dove into that this weekend and tonight I got the farthest I've ever gotten and boy was it thrilling. I'll probably just beat the DLC and call it quits. The back half of the game contains the weaker set of bosses and I just don't feel the desire to play through them all again. Plus, a couple of the areas and just annoying to traverse due to poor controls/weird physics and at this point I've played enough to know that while I still love Dark Souls, if it makes my final list it'll be a lot lower because boy did they make their games a lot more playable. Bloodborne and Sekiro just feel a lot more responsive and technically competent.

I got Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury for my birthday this weekend so I'm playing some of that. It's such a delight so far. I feel like it got overlooked on the WiiU because it wasn't as a flashy a Mario production as the "mainline" titles but boy is the level design just so clever and delightful in a way that makes me smile when I play it.

I'll probably jump into Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin sometime this week and just keep rolling on that train.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1045 on: July 22, 2021, 06:25:28 AM »
I finished the third and final character in Griftlands last night, so I guess I'm better at those games than I thought. Could do prestige runs and unlock the remaining cards, but I don't typically play deckbuilders in the way I play other rougelikes. Still a lot of fun, and the narrative integration was cool. All three characters play slightly differently, and there's enough run to run variation. Probably done with that game though, not sure what else I'd realistically want to do.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1046 on: July 26, 2021, 06:23:59 PM »
Well, I made the mistake of starting Dark Souls 2 before finishing the Dark Souls DLC. The performance and control improvements make it hard to go back. Shame that the general level design just isn't as good as Dark Souls and certain design decisions feel like they were trying to hard to cater to the "git gud" crowd by making the game artificially harder the more you die. Still, the core combat and general atmosphere is just a cut above similar games that I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #1047 on: August 03, 2021, 01:31:18 AM »
Is Elder Scrolls Online a subscription game like WoW?  It was always my understanding that it was but apparently it's not.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #1048 on: August 06, 2021, 08:57:15 PM »
Well, I made the mistake of starting Dark Souls 2 before finishing the Dark Souls DLC. The performance and control improvements make it hard to go back. Shame that the general level design just isn't as good as Dark Souls and certain design decisions feel like they were trying to hard to cater to the "git gud" crowd by making the game artificially harder the more you die. Still, the core combat and general atmosphere is just a cut above similar games that I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

Wait until you get to DS3, it's really good. I went from DS3 to DS1 and the controls are so much jankier in the original game. Haven't played DS2 yet though.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1049 on: August 06, 2021, 08:59:28 PM »
I've played DS3 before. This is my 4th time playing DS and my second time playing DSII. Looking foward to finally getting to DS3 but it might take me a while since I've got all the DLCs to work through as well.

love