Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 36326 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1070 on: September 08, 2021, 11:50:15 PM »
My son has just turned 4 and I want to start introducing him to games and Iíd like to start with Mario. Whatís the easiest way to play Super Mario Bros these days?

That exact title? Or just get to get into the franchise? I have a friend who got her daughter into it, granted a few years older, when she was 6, and they did it through New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe on the Switch. Went from that to Odyssey, kind of a modern way to go from 2D to 3D. They had the Wii from before she was born, but I think they also broke that out for some Galaxy, which is sadly not available on the Switch anymore because...weird, weird marketing.

I used to assume that video games were just too hard for kids this young, but after seeing what some of my students' baby brothers and sisters were doing on tablets at ages 2 and 3, I just don't question it. This tech is hitting kids in a way that is just so intuitive, they learn to navigate their devices before they can string together sentences.

Maybe I can convince the wife to buy a switch in the name of our son. 😂

As a happily never-married man, I do understand from my married relatives that this is the route to go to procure toys for yourself after marriage.  ;)
Just because a person has never walked in my shoes, that doesnít mean they canít gravitate to the art. - Mach-Hommy

A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #1071 on: September 09, 2021, 05:39:11 PM »
Not exactly that title but something Mario related. I figured a side scroller would be the easiest for him to understand. I'm just gonna have to get a switch.  ;D

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1072 on: September 14, 2021, 11:48:21 PM »
Pikmin 3 Deluxe
I usually am OK with a game being easy if I like the gameplay and how the characters and worlds are designed. Pikmin 3 on Normal is still pretty darn easy, but fortunately there is Hard (which is like Normal in most games), and Ultra Spicy (which limits how many Pikmin you can have in the field helping you at a time and makes bosses a lot harder to kill). Just finished that Spicy run over the weekend, and was super locked in. One of the great things about video games is that they get you in a state of flow, and Pikmin succeeds at this big time, where you're prioritizing tasks, strategizing how to complete them, and tinkering with them over time to see what loses you the least Pikmin and gets you the most fruit in the least amount of time.

So there are the three levels to clear the main game, 14 side quests to complete with the original protagonist in the series, Olimar, and a bunch of missions that award medals for the efficiency with which you complete the missions. Those missions are all I haven't done so far. Knew I wanted to do a deep-dive with the game some time in the near future, glad I got to it.
Just because a person has never walked in my shoes, that doesnít mean they canít gravitate to the art. - Mach-Hommy

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1073 on: September 15, 2021, 06:27:50 AM »
Bought the new Life Is Strange, but havenít started it yet. Despite having no time to play, Iíll almost certainly pick up DeathLoop this weekend like a real dummy.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1074 on: October 17, 2021, 11:14:47 PM »
Well, I'm like a year behind you all, but I have (after so many years) finally caught the Animal Crossing bug. I had no idea all these infrastructure projects would become available, how fun. :) I've lost interest in my own home recently because I want to build all these bridges and ramps. How lame am I.  :) It's prevented me from starting Metroid Dread properly, but that's OK. Maybe next weekend.

I also bought Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania and WarioWare: Get It Together while hanging out with friends last weekend. Both invoke nostalgia. I've only played Super Monkey Ball alone so far, and I'm fairly addicted to the Monkey Target world record challenge. It's my favorite thing to do while winding down.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1075 on: October 18, 2021, 06:23:16 AM »
Ooh, didnít even know there was a new Super Monkey Ball game. I always fret about buying new games. I played the hell out of Animal Crossing for a year but when Pokťmon Snap came out I played it for two hours and basically have touched my Switch since.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1076 on: October 19, 2021, 12:33:05 AM »
Ooh, didnít even know there was a new Super Monkey Ball game. I always fret about buying new games. I played the hell out of Animal Crossing for a year but when Pokťmon Snap came out I played it for two hours and basically have touched my Switch since.

I don't know how "new" the Monkey Ball game is, I think it's kind of like a Mario Kart game, where a lot of the main player and mini games from previous renditions were pulled in to make this current game. It's truly a pick up and play for 15-30 minutes, then move on to something else. I like it for what it does well. It's a fun pick-up-play.

Will say, I'd like to buy more Switch games during sales, but it doesn't seem to happen as consistently as it does for Steam (where most of what's in my library can at a pretty high discount). Paying full value sucks, but sometimes I'm just like, screw it, it's just money. Not too often, though.

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #1077 on: October 19, 2021, 04:25:37 AM »
I just want to give a shout-out to Outer Wilds one of the best-designed games I've played in a really long time.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #1078 on: October 19, 2021, 07:40:31 AM »
I just want to give a shout-out to Outer Wilds one of the best-designed games I've played in a really long time.
I played it and knew by the time I was done it was now firmly in my top ten. Such a magnificent game.
"It's all research." -roujin

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1079 on: October 19, 2021, 11:38:43 AM »

A game sitting on my hard drive, rationí to go. Fairly short, right? Maybe between Metroid Dread and when Shin Megami Tensei V drops.

love