love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75635 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1090 on: November 16, 2021, 09:59:49 PM »
I'd say so. I prefer the first Fallout but it's not for everyone as that style of RPG has a high learning curve. New Vegas is a great modernization that is a lot easier to pick up and play today.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1091 on: November 25, 2021, 02:51:27 PM »
The fall sale is on for Steam. My pendulum has swung back hard to the PC, and I'm dusting off Hollow Knight to finally beat it. Fallout: New Vegas is $2.99(!!!). I have a huge backlog of PC games to play, but I'm OK with that. These sales are when I've bought probably 80% of the games I currently have.

Think my time with my Switch is winding down, and I don't even know if I find getting a PS5 essential. PlayStation has some great exclusives, but I think I need multiple new, good ones to drop before I take the dive. New God of War, Horizon, and Persona games will make it tough to stay away, but we'll see.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1092 on: December 02, 2021, 11:32:52 PM »
I've played DS3 before. This is my 4th time playing DS and my second time playing DSII. Looking foward to finally getting to DS3 but it might take me a while since I've got all the DLCs to work through as well.
Well, months later and I got bit again by the bug. Playing all three Souls games at once like a madman. One boss left for Dark Souls, the last two DLCs for Dark Souls II, and most of Dark Souls 3. It's cool to experience them all at once and compare them.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1093 on: December 22, 2021, 12:33:58 AM »
I'm trying a bit of an experiment in the coming year. I haven't always had a healthy relationship with games, but I would still like to play them. 2022 is going to be the year I try more intentional gaming. Indeed, "Intentional" is the word of the year.

This year, I played the following games fairly thoroughly to my standards (beat main game, do a few extra things along the way):
1. Celeste
2. Death Stranding
3. Pikmin 3 Deluxe
4. (Getting there, will be finished by the end of the year) Hollow Knight

Love all four.

I also played a lot of Splatoon 2 and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, though they have now been put to bed, and I have no interest in that kind of experience any longer.

In the coming year, I'm setting out to play one game per quarter of the year. After doing a lot of reading on different games and trying to figure out the experiences I want the most, I have the following agenda for gaming in 2022.
Quarter 1 - Tales of Arise
Quarter 2 - NiER Replicant ver 1.22474487139...
Quarter 3 - Factorio
Quarter 4 - Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

There maybe a few shorter games I fit in between the longer ones, but this is about right. Person 4: Golden could knock something else out.

There are coming PC releases that I'm interested in, and will track them for either my end of 2022 games, or potentially as 2023 plays. Kerbal Space Program 2, Hollow Knight: Silksong, and of course Starfield all look interesting. Park Beyond looks like it could be a fun management game, as well.

It's not set in stone, but I think taking my time with each game is important, as well as just not overdoing it on games. Anyway, just wanted to lay this all out and share. Kind of wondering:
What are the games you've enjoyed playing the most this past year?
What games are you anticipating playing in 2022?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1094 on: December 23, 2021, 03:47:45 PM »
Disco Elysium is one of the best games I have played in a long, long time.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1095 on: December 23, 2021, 06:38:12 PM »
Yup. Kim is BAE.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1096 on: January 02, 2022, 05:37:42 PM »
I haven't been sleeping as well this month so Souls fell by the wayside.

Been playing Homeworld which is fun but feels more about scouting and engaging with the right unit composition than the typical RTS which is fine except I'm not really sure what works best against what and the guides online suck.

Got Pikmin 3 and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker for Christmas so I'll be giving my Switch some much needed attention soon.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1097 on: January 16, 2022, 03:41:40 PM »
I finished - or am finished - with Hollow Knight, just got the basic ending. I decided to stop in my quest for essence and better/more advanced endings because I lost interest in struggling through boss after boss. I'm happy that I at least saw it through and got an ending, but I don't think this game was designed for people like me in mind. I spend 50+ hours on my day job per week and have other hobbies and lifestyle priorities that are more satisfying. At this point, I don't even know if I'll even start another game anytime soon. I left a review on Steam basically saying that I wouldn't recommend this game to gamers with my particular life scenario, but if you have more time, it's probably pretty rewarding and fun to get to 112%. (For me: 46 hours, 76%.) I stuck with it for the art style, great gameplay, and challenging-but-possible bosses that stand between you and the essential power-ups to uncover all areas of the map (minus the White Palace). Don't have a lot new to add to a game that's been out 4+ years now.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1098 on: January 18, 2022, 05:02:02 PM »
Played through Pikmin 3. It was delightful but a bit too on the easy side for me. Not sure if I enjoyed it enough to play any of the others but I get why people like these games now.

Working through Treasure Tracker. It's also fun but very easy. Don't want to sound like I'm some puzzle god, but I just want my brain stretched a bit more than these games provide.

Finally beat Sekiro. Glad to put that behind me with Elden Ring only about a month away. Just finally sat down over the weekend and kept running through the final boss until I was victorious.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1099 on: January 18, 2022, 08:24:07 PM »
Played through Pikmin 3. It was delightful but a bit too on the easy side for me. Not sure if I enjoyed it enough to play any of the others but I get why people like these games now.

Did you clear all the missions in mission mode at the Platinum level? I think that's the actual challenge in the game.  Even beating the main game on Ultra Spicy is not very hard. I didn't do it because I got tired of playing levels over and over (I think I made it through like 2/3's). Persistence is good, but I do start to wonder to exactly what ends I'm persisting. All this said, I like the character design, gameplay and overall aesthetic. Most games are not about challenge for me (though sometimes it does payoff, i.e. Celeste and, to an extent, Hollow Knight).

love