love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75685 times)

Solid Blake

• Godfather
Re: What are you playing? NOW STREAMING 2019!
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2019, 05:23:40 AM »
I bought an Oculus Quest because I’m dumb. I’ll hopefully have time to mess around with it tonight and share some initial impressions.  8)

Ok, maybe I'm not that dumb. This thing is pretty cool. The Rift-wands are really the stand outs, especially when compared to the PSVR Move controllers. The whole grip/pressure sensitive buttons/sticks really feel intuitive and awesome. Within seconds, I was picking up items and juggling them/tossing them at NPCs.

As for games, I downloaded Beat Saber (of course) and Vader Immortal. The processing power on this thing doesn't feel as powerful as the PSVR paired with a PS4 Pro; however, the pixel per eye increase really makes up for all of that. Beat Saber looks crisp and the 1-to-1 tracking is a step up over the spotty PS Camera tracking. Vader looked impressively real and intimidating, though I'm not sure how the "game" part is quite yet. I messed around with some Youtube VR stuff and it looked pretty damn crisp. Overall, I'm somewhat impressed with this thing. I don't think it's as comfortable as the PSVR, but it definitely feels better than the Oculus Go.

I'm probably going to double-dip with Super Hot VR, Moss, and some other stuff as well, as this will probably be my go-to-VR platform for the foreseeable future (until Iron Man comes out on PSVR).

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #181 on: May 26, 2019, 12:38:47 AM »
God i hope that's true! Splinter Cell is my favourite franchise and I'm dying for another one.

*after a couple hours sneaking around and dying* "CINECAST! it.... LEEEEROOOOOOOOY JEEEEEEEENKINS!!!!"

Every single time.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #182 on: May 27, 2019, 02:35:36 PM »
Rage 2 sucks. I deleted it. I just don't think I have or will like any games made by Avalanche Studios. 2019 is a big let down for a lot of triple A titles, this being yet another one.

In more positive news, I bought American Fugitive based off of Dan Ryckert's recommendation on the latest Beastcast (side note: I've stopped listening to the Bombcast, because Jeff and Ben were really getting to me--it was a smart move, because MAN is the Beastcast so much better). And guess what: I actually like this game. Yes, it's old-school GTA meets The Dukes of Hazzard, and that's quite alright in my book. The shooting reminds me more of isometric games like Dead Nation, and the home burglary mechanics are quite fun. I've only played a few hours thus far, but I'm pretty stoked to check out more.

In the interim, I'm also still enjoying the Oculus Quest--I think this might be the item that could blow open so many doors for VR, given it keeps gaining in popularity. I've had it mentioned to me by many non-gamer friends and family members. Here's hoping it becomes the next Wii and gets more developers interested in diving deeper into VR.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #183 on: May 28, 2019, 07:31:07 PM »
Blood & Truth for PSVR is a blast. It’s truly just some dumb pop-corn action; however, it also features some of the best use of VR/Move Controllers I’ve yet to see. I just DJ’d on a turntable/mixer set in the middle of a firefight, only to then chug a beer with one hand and throw a grenade with another. I just finished a walk through of a modern art museum that made me audibly gasp at how inventive the level design is in this game. Oh and the voice acting/motion capture is top-tier as well.

The real star here are the Move Controllers and their implementation. Actively reloading feels so intuitive and I instinctively held an SMG with two hands without any instructions required. Using your tool kit to pick locks and unscrew panels feels so natural, it’s amazing how they’re getting such great use out of old controllers never intended for use with VR. There’s so much variety thus far, with new things to do almost every 5 minutes or so. The only thing that rivals how good this feels might be the Oculus controls in Super Hot VR. Regardless, I’m impressed and want to play more but VR wears on me. I don’t get motion sick, but the headsets (Quest more-so than PSVR) really start to feel uncomfortable/sweaty after prolonged play sessions. But I’m always left wanting more—so that’s probably a good sign.

Is 2019 the beginning of the VR Renaissance?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:35:20 PM by Solid Blake »

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2019, 11:02:28 AM »
Death Stranding coming out on November 8th of this year? YES PLEASE.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piIgkJWDuQg
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 11:37:04 AM by Solid Blake »

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2019, 01:10:18 PM »
I’m cautiously optimistic about the Call of Duty Modern Warfare reboot announced today. They’re saying all the right things: They’re using a brand new engine. They’re focusing on realism. It’s not going to be a Michael Bay film, but more of a Zero Dark Thirty/Hurt Locker approach toward story telling.

All that being said, I have been let down by almost every iteration of this franchise since MW2... Who am I kidding? I’ll probably buy it.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2019, 01:48:42 PM »
Guess I'm keeping my PS4 for Death Stranding. Dammit, Kojima.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2019, 08:11:25 PM »
Think I missed the boat on the Collector's Edition. Weak.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #188 on: June 02, 2019, 09:57:14 PM »
Got the two Beastcast Recommends GamePass games. Haven't tried Outer Wilds, but enjoyed what I've played of Void Bastards thus far, which is through the first two mainline objectives.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #189 on: June 02, 2019, 11:05:16 PM »
Anyone got an opinion on Unruly Heroes? It's pretty cheap right now in the Playstation Store, and the wife and I were big fans of Rayman Legends so I'm thinking of taking the plunge.