love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75323 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #410 on: March 21, 2020, 05:09:05 PM »
Sam...play the new Ori! It's included on GamePass!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #411 on: March 21, 2020, 05:31:49 PM »
First Ori was really bad. I've no interest in the second one.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #412 on: March 21, 2020, 07:18:16 PM »
I think they're pretty different in scope, even if they're still playformers with Metroidvania elements. If not for FLY, do it for Brad and Ben.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #413 on: March 21, 2020, 10:55:45 PM »
From what I gather, Sam is much better at games than I am. All of the above are at a mild-to-moderate difficulty level. Leveling up is just right to progress fairly smoothly through the game with not too many deaths. God of War has some really fun challenges that had me pulling my hair (what little I have) out, but were worth it. With that said, I see Sam recommending Bloodborne. If you like challenging, and I mean really challenging, go for it. I didn't finish it. I had it about a week - when I was buying physical games - then traded it back in at Game Stop toward something else.
I still don't think the Soulsborne games are as hard as much as as they require persistence and patience. I guess I consider myself an above average gamer but I also hang around many gamers that are much better than me, always play on hard, 100% games, or get highly ranked on competitive shooters. I'm middling in my group so I don't consider myself that great of a gamer.

Getting 100% is largely a matter of will for some games, will I've never had. I would 100% Horizon Zero Dawn before I'd even try to get halfway through on Bloodborne. But yeah, sounds like you run with a hardcore crew. I play games primarily for the story, but I like RPGs where you can develop your abilities and use cool, new methods of taking out your enemies (and doing JUSTICE!). I just googled whether Hollow Knight was hard, to see if I was trippin', and people either said Yes and sounded more like me, or said No that's just the the kind of game it is, have patience, like you. All based on your gamer profile. I think it's been rewarding if kind of frustrating and can definitely see why you co-sign it (and don't think it's that hard, considering your perspective). I think I'm sticking with it right now because I actually have time. If I didn't, might be another story.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #414 on: March 22, 2020, 05:31:39 AM »
Put Hollow Knight away, possibly forever. 13 hours, gave it a shot. I'm looking at Steam, and anything that is tagged difficult is going off the wishlist. Sam, how does Fez compare, difficulty-wise.

I'm doing Wandersong next to feel happy. Then, Into the Breach.

Looking forward to Death Stranding on the PC. Then, Cyberpunk 2077.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #415 on: March 22, 2020, 06:37:20 AM »
Which sorts of games do you like to play, and have you had an Xbox One, or this would be your first console this generation?

RPGs are my favs. Then puzzle games and platformers. Not a huge fan of competitive FPSs but I like single player ones.
This is my first console of this generation.

I played Monster Hunter World yesterday and once I got past the endless tutorials I was super into how expansive the world was and the cool monster designs as well.

Will probably get Persona 5 Royal and FF7 Remake when they come out.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:39:46 AM by Beavermoose »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #416 on: March 22, 2020, 08:35:22 AM »
Fez is more of a puzzle game. The platforming is not very hard. That being said, some of the puzzles are very hard. I love it and think it's worth playing.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #417 on: March 22, 2020, 03:03:32 PM »
The platforming in Fez is mostly pretty easy, though the puzzles can be rough until you figure them out. Not even like they are in something like The Witness, because at least with that you 'get' the mechanic and go from there. Fez has mechanics to get, but so much more beyond that. Make sure to have a notebook while playing! Fez is probably the best game of last gen, or right up there with RDR, and certainly in convo quality wise with Meatboy and Spelunky for best 'indie' game. All are definitely a top four in some capacity.

EDIT: Also finished a run in Slay The Spire today. Used The Silent or whatever that character is called, as it seems to easily be the best one. The nuts thing is that I unlocked her for my second ever run and, as it turns out, made it three rooms from the end on that second attempt. Took a while to get back there though.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 03:06:02 PM by FLYmeatwad »

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #418 on: March 23, 2020, 01:03:27 AM »
Picked back up Hollow Knight and got out of the jam...then got into another one, lol.

FLY I'm into a bit of a different gaming galaxy than you and Sam, I prefer AAA RPGs with open worlds, and am only open to mild-to-moderate frustration. Really got the PC to do management games like Cities Skylines plus just have a high-powered machine I can work on, and have looked at branching out a little bit during this time of lockdown, but am starting to feel like I'm losing valuable hours going in circles. Fez sounds like it'd get uninstalled.

Come to think of it, I still have Astral Chain loaded on the Switch and need to buy Animal Crossing. That's probably the direction I'm headed.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #419 on: March 23, 2020, 12:01:27 PM »
If you're looking more for management games, Frostpunk is excellent but also very depressing and challenging.

I got back into StarCraft II. It's had to have been about 6 years since I last launched it. Finally going to play the Protoss campaign. Amazing how quickly all the muscle memory came back to me. Little dusty on my micro, but my macro feels pretty good still. Playing missions on Hard and it feels just about perfect.