love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75324 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #600 on: May 15, 2020, 01:57:08 PM »
You know what is cooler than playing video games? Making video games!

https://youtu.be/gVmsIr6XHGs
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:49:36 PM by Sam the Cinema Snob »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #601 on: May 16, 2020, 08:53:46 AM »
Watched the whole thing. Congrats on completing something playable!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #602 on: May 25, 2020, 04:48:54 PM »
Another week, another game prototype:

https://youtu.be/WOfAOVBjT4Q

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #603 on: May 28, 2020, 06:26:52 AM »
Super cool. Would love to see what you could do with Dreams!

PS-What's been happening with these forums as of late? It's loading slow as molasses going uphill in January for me.

Speaking of slow, time is going by too slow. Can it be June 19th yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB2gOm2Hn2I&t=0s

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #604 on: May 28, 2020, 07:19:39 AM »
Need to update my PS4 so I'll be ready to get that, and also order it from Amazon or something. Guess GS could do curbside stuff too. Who knows, haven't watched the video yet, though loving that there's already a backlash building based on what I saw on Twitter that is unnerved by how violence is presented and the disconnect with empathizing with the characters, especially if we're forced in to killing actual people and not just zombie things. Wish people would go back and realize that's the massive problem with the first game (aside from actually controlling it, and the story itself being boring), where it pretends you have control and can be non-violent, but constantly pulls that away from you by gating specific portions behind actually killing people and culminating in a truly awful ending where the game literally forces you to take a specific action then gets high and mighty about it the authorial narrative control. So starved for something new though I'll give this a chance, at the very least it'll give me something to shit on, especially since I hit a wall in Doom when that shit got too hard with they start throwing more than just the boss green eyed enemy at you.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #605 on: May 28, 2020, 11:36:11 AM »
Need to update my PS4 so I'll be ready to get that, and also order it from Amazon or something. Guess GS could do curbside stuff too. Who knows, haven't watched the video yet, though loving that there's already a backlash building based on what I saw on Twitter that is unnerved by how violence is presented and the disconnect with empathizing with the characters, especially if we're forced in to killing actual people and not just zombie things. Wish people would go back and realize that's the massive problem with the first game (aside from actually controlling it, and the story itself being boring), where it pretends you have control and can be non-violent, but constantly pulls that away from you by gating specific portions behind actually killing people and culminating in a truly awful ending where the game literally forces you to take a specific action then gets high and mighty about it the authorial narrative control. So starved for something new though I'll give this a chance, at the very least it'll give me something to shit on, especially since I hit a wall in Doom when that shit got too hard with they start throwing more than just the boss green eyed enemy at you.

Fixed your post. THAR BE TROLLS IN THESE HILLS.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #606 on: May 28, 2020, 01:50:54 PM »
My friend who loves TLoU texted me about how off-putting he found the violence so I think that's a legit complaint even though I haven't watched it myself because I've no interest in the game. Lots of video games try to make you empathize with characters who kill tons of people, usually with little self-awareness. Naughty Dog certainly has that history with Uncharted being a shooting gallery with cute characters in the cutscenes. I dunno, I honestly get nostalgic for the days shooters had us killing demons, aliens and zombies. The older I get, the more shooting human beings rendered in super realistic and detailed graphics becomes off-putting to me.

I'd love to play with Dreams sometime but I sold my PS4 a while back when rumors came out that Dreams would probably make its way to PC. Sadly, this week I've been super out of it and done almost nothing in terms of making a game. It's my first week where I've not got much done since COVID landed in the States so I'm cutting myself some slack.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #607 on: May 28, 2020, 06:24:29 PM »
Mostly fine with humans being the enemies, but the way TLoU handles it (and Uncharted, arguably to a worse extent) mostly blows. The game shows you how to stealth, how to avoid conflict, but then has sections where it's impossible to progress without gunning people down. Then you put that with the final portion in the hospital (I'm not using spoilers for the original TLoU at this point) where they, once again, make you have Joel make a stupid decision but also frame it like you have actual control or impact over what will be done. Like at that point it makes more narrative sense to build the game in such a way that it plays like Max Payne 3, that way you don't run in to these jarring moments that render you as the player completely passive because Naughty Dog decides that It's Story Time and they are making High Art.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #608 on: May 28, 2020, 06:43:14 PM »
Good ole Clint Hocking talked about this when he coined the term ludonarrative dissonance. It's probably my biggest pet peeve in games and why I tend to not play the vast majority of well-regarded AAA titles.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #609 on: June 03, 2020, 06:17:53 AM »
You could take ludonarrative dissonance stance against the Uncharted series and I wouldn't argue against you. On paper, Drake is a mass murderer. However, I'm sure Indiana Jones could be convicted of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree crimes of the same kin.

Regardless, I would say that The Last of Us is the polar opposite of ludonarrative dissonance. Violence is a character in that story. The loss of innocence in Ellie throughout the first game is an integral through-line and, in my opinion, why that story is so impacting. Joel has 20 years of nothing but "kill or be killed" written into his DNA, and when presented with reigniting the father-daughter relationship he lost out on, he has to balance the person he is and the stark realities around him, while wanting to build on that same familial dream that was abruptly and prematurely taken away from him. The Last of Us is a masterpiece, again--in my opinion, due to this tightrope walk and intricate kinship between these two characters, and the fact that Joel makes the selfish and arguably wrong decision in the end and decides to lie about it to the one he loves, I'm even more curious how this plays out in the sequel.