Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75646 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: What are you playing? NOW STREAMING 2019!
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2019, 08:37:54 PM »
I need to hook up my PSVR again at some point. And finish the last couple hours of Spider-Man. Hated those stealth sequences though, so I just stopped in the third act.

Finished RDR2 last night. It is, in fact, a great game. Would still be messing around with it now if I didn't need to update this new disc so I can step through swinging that big old keyblade around.

Want to get RE2 as well since I have only played 1, 3, and 4, but will probably wait for a sale.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2019, 07:21:00 AM »
3. God of War, developed by Santa Monica Studio, played on the PlayStation 4 Pro for approximately 50 hours. I've always actively disliked God of War games. I've been vocally against them on this very forum. So, suffice it to say, I was cautiously excited for a total reboot. Thankfully, this (albeit soft) reboot completely changes up the gameplay and narrative styles that I disliked, and adds a level of humanity to one of the most inhumane characters in video game history (Kratos). One could argue that The Last of Us has had a strong influence on this game (and you'd be right) and the story isn't wholly unique. However, it is polished, paced well, and filled with interesting characters and motivations. I felt like I had a lot of agency in the gameplay, versus just mashing a giant triangle button prompt on screen, and going HUD-less really helped with the immersion into this Norse-mythological-setting. The feeling of throwing and retrieving the Leviathan Axe never stops feeling satisfying. I'm not even invested in the previous entries/history of this franchise, but retrieving the Blades of Chaos was somehow still a really cool moment and made me feel super empowered as a player. The hub-like open world, the sense of scale, the variety of enemies, the "one-shot" presentation really helped to elevate this game to be something special. It even has the Arkham-Asylum-esque exploration that I love. I even liked Atreus for most of the game and his growth was fascinating to watch. This game really surprised me. I cared about every line of dialogue. I became emotionally invested in this story. My turn around on this franchise really speaks to the quality and passion that went into this game. Games have grown up, and I'm happy to see even the biggest previously-dumb blockbuster franchises are now embracing this growth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0u_kAWLJOA

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2019, 01:30:39 PM »
I felt like this was the biggest surprise of last year and as much as I wanted to get to it, I'm sorta putting it on the backburner for now until I see it on sale. I don't doubt it is good, just not the kind of game I tend to enjoy that much.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2019, 09:31:33 PM »
It will go on sale at some point, feel like this was stupid cheap around Black Friday.

Finally got to swing that keyblade around, even if my damn preorder code isn't CINECAST!ing working, and it has been fun. Though the very first world is the Hercules one, and it's not just coliseum/battle tower, so I'm afraid it's inevitably all downhill from here.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2019, 07:18:21 AM »
2. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, developed by Bluehole and PUBG Corporation, played on the Xbox One X for 614 hours. Out of all the games on my list, I struggled with the placement of this one the most. At times, this could have been my game of the year. At other times, it could have fit on my most disappointing list. I actually bought an Xbox One X just for this game. For the majority of the year, it was under the "Early Access" banner and it felt very early access. I struggled with frame rate issues, server disconnects, and just a multitude of hilarious albeit obnoxious in-game glitches. I had such a strong love/hate relationship with this game, but I can look back on my time with this game and say that the former definitely outweighed the latter. Fortunately, this game allows for some incredible moments--whether it being your first solo chicken dinner, or saving your squad-mate(s) from seemingly inevitable death. There were times where I legitimately "hooted" and "holler'd" when my team survived some sketchy scenario or won an intense final circle. The gameplay hits this perfect balance between hardcore simulation (Arma) and easier to understand mechanics borrowed from modern AAA shooters. With a controller, it's incredibly difficult to land your shots--especially firing at long ranges and the bullet physics are completely satisfying when you actually do land your shots. It took me awhile to become adequate at this game, but I made some new friends and started to get more "chicken dinners" (86 wins to date). I eventually graduated from third person perspective, to the more immersive first person perspective. Like any good multiplayer game, there are some high-highs in this game, coupled with some low-lows as well. The game is struggling right now (#FIXPUBG). The Vikendi patch has essentially broken the game for most people and rendering issues are still popping up (months after the official "launch" of the game). I'm a little burned out and probably won't play this game all that much in the future, but when I look back on it--PUBG delivered some of the funniest, most intense, exciting, and fun times I've with a game in quite some time. Mileage may vary, unfortunately, because a lot of that had to do with the people I played with and the scenarios I found myself in. Also, this game got me to quit playing Fortnite earlier in the year--so thanks PUBG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiSWfkx3SPc

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2019, 07:56:49 AM »
I was wondering what your #2 would be. For us PC folks, this was a 2017 release so I kinda forgot about it. I've had lots of fun watching people play this game but I don't think it's for me. Glad other people love it so much, though.

So, anyone want to guess what Solid Blake's #1 game of 2018 is? I have no idea...  ;D

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2019, 08:46:20 AM »
So, anyone want to guess what Solid Blake's #1 game of 2018 is? I have no idea...  ;D

Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2019, 10:02:28 AM »
614 hours? Yowza. I think the only game I ever put that much time into was EverQuest (which probably was over 1000 hours), and maybe the first Diablo.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2019, 09:55:51 PM »
I got into Fortnite this year. What makes PUBG the better option?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2019, 10:26:38 PM »
I've got 212 hrs on Stellaris, and I only downloaded it at the beginning of December! I've definitely never racked up that many hours on a game that quickly. By comparison, I've played Team Fortress 2 on and off since it came out like what 10 years ago? I've played that for what I thought was a long time, and I'm only at 283hrs.

My downloading Stellaris just happened to coincide with my wrapping up a project, so I've had an abundance of time. That said, it does kind of remind me of Civ 4 back when I used to play that, and you would constantly say to yourself "just one more turn". :)) Stellaris doesn't have turns, but it's the same kind of feeling. "I'll just keep playing until the Cruiser tech is done researching". Hours later you're still playing.

The game has a loooong learning curve... there are so many little nuances and quirks that you only really find out the hard way. My complaint about the game is that the pop-up tips and info when you mouse over stuff can be sorely lacking in the type of clear data you're looking for. And unlike Civ, I find that the online wiki's and forums searches often produce out of date information or none at all. I remember the CivFanatics forum what a damn goldmine, with spreadsheets and everything. Stellaris, from what I've found, simply lacks a good tutorial... but then for a tutorial to be "good" it would be like 8 hours long to tell you what you need to know. So really you just have to start playing and expect that the first several games you will just abandon because you'll see how you've messed up and want to start over. Even now I haven't ever "finished" a game... I just get tired of that particular empire (and I can see how the rest of the game is likely to play out) and I start a new one.

love