love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75716 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #790 on: October 03, 2020, 07:14:44 PM »
I "beat" Hades this morning with the fists. I think the fists are my favorite because you have to get in there and then get out before the enemy can counter-attack. High risk, high reward. I got the hammer upgrade that gives you a bit of extra range which is what make build so good. The more I play, the more I think you have to get the hammer for certain weapons. For instance, the bow sucks unless you get the hammer upgrade that lets you fire instantly.

I'm gonna try to beat A Short Hike over the weekend since it's short (hence the title). It's lovely so far and the kind of chill exploration game I need right now after playing these reflex heavy games or mind-melting strategy games.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #791 on: October 03, 2020, 07:21:34 PM »
I also have easily played the bow the least, I think that weapon, at least as I have it now, is actively bad. The gun, at the very least, is useable because of the special on it and how quick the base attack fires, even if the ammo mechanic I don't like. Bow, however, feels straight trash as a base weapon, when it glows for extra darkness I do a run and just let the first enemies in the second world kill me because it's anti-fun to use that thing.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #792 on: October 03, 2020, 07:31:21 PM »
Got Portal on Thursday, a couple "levels" in (so like a couple dozen tests in) and it is enjoyable enough. So far not gotten stuck. Great game if your kink is humiliation.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #793 on: October 03, 2020, 11:03:41 PM »
Great game if your kink is humiliation.

:sweating tongue out emoji:

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #794 on: October 07, 2020, 07:09:12 PM »
And now I've finished Portal 2. The middle-ish section where the scope really widens up is either a strength or a weakness depending on your perspective. I kind of like the closed box nature of the standard tests where you can kind of work your way through the puzzle in your head. The bigger ones get to where it is more winging it, especially considering the graphic design often makes it tricky to know what can and cannot have a portal.

Anyway, the voice acting from Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons was a highlight. I don't know how long it ultimately took me to get through...10 hours? I think my ideal game is one that costs $10-15 for 10-15 hours of highly enjoyable gameplay and then wraps up.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #795 on: October 07, 2020, 08:04:07 PM »
I think those more open areas are really poorly developed and that they never did a good job of exploring the new mechanics. I'm a big puzzle gamer and I think Portal 2 was half baked and probably should have just introduced the jells and spent the whole game developing that.

I will say the coop campaign is excellent, though. If your can find someone who hasn't played it, I think it's better than the singleplayer campaign.

Still playing what might be my top 3 of the year: Crusader Kings III, Spelunky 2 and Hades.

Crusader Kings III remains a delight as I hit the 15 hour mark only having played the Irish and the Scots. I see how Paradox fans can dedicate themselves to just these games. I could see myself dumping 100 hours into this easily.

Did what I think is my forth clear of Hades and I'm starting to grasp what is good and what isn't in this game. Makes me have more of a strategy for my builds where I felt like the bulk of my play so far has been experimenting. I at least want to get to the true ending but I still have no idea how you do that.

Spelunky 2 is still proving difficult. Finally getting to the point where I can pretty reliably clear the first world. The 1-4 boss is a real pain if you don't position yourself correctly. Probably will be my GOTY even though I'm playing it the least of the three. Trying to savior it.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #796 on: October 08, 2020, 12:23:58 AM »
Got the Switch back out, now going to be pretty intentional with my gaming. Uninstalled some games that have been giving me trouble with that. I'm back on Mario Odyssey and also have the Mario anniversary set ready to go for whenever. Odyssey is pure joy, also perfect for 15 minute sessions or 1 hour+ sessions. In the long-run, like within the life span of the Switch, I may feel motivated to do a little research and get all 880 power moons...but we'll see. For now, just happy to get a few at a time.

Between Odyssey, the three Mario anniversary games, and Pikmin 3, I'll be a happy gamer for a good while. I also got Just Dance, because I need to dance more.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #797 on: October 08, 2020, 08:38:02 AM »
Need to figure out a good game for a plane on Switch, 3DS, or Vita.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #798 on: October 08, 2020, 09:37:12 AM »
Spelunky 1 on Vita.  8)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #799 on: October 08, 2020, 05:42:17 PM »
Lol, that and BoI were what I was leaning towards.