love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75751 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #830 on: November 11, 2020, 02:57:04 PM »
Finished up Pikmin 3 including the side stories (but not mission mode). Once I worked into the strategy of it, and that it wasn't really day-limited to any great extent and thus set my per-day goals lower, it was more enjoyable even with the quick days. Not sure it's something I'll be returning back to so thinking I'll probably try to sell it while it is still pretty high resale. Guess it's back to Super Mario 64.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #831 on: November 11, 2020, 05:46:30 PM »
Finished up Pikmin 3 including the side stories (but not mission mode). Once I worked into the strategy of it, and that it wasn't really day-limited to any great extent and thus set my per-day goals lower, it was more enjoyable even with the quick days. Not sure it's something I'll be returning back to so thinking I'll probably try to sell it while it is still pretty high resale. Guess it's back to Super Mario 64.

I still haven't hit it up. Probably a winter break thing, as well as exploring the post-game in Mario Odyssey.

I play Splatoon 2 all the time, and just Turf War. I'm sure I've said it before, but I find it therapeutic, a great way to blow off steam. It's probably the lowest stakes competitive thing I've engaged in.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #832 on: November 11, 2020, 07:53:19 PM »
Loving my Series X so far, got it hooked up in the 2 free hours I had after work last night, told it which GamePass stuff to download overnight, it shut down after 1 hour of inactivity during that time so finished nothing, and has now spent most of the day downloading stuff, that I'll perhaps have ten minutes to play in what remains of my two hours after work. Sadly, couldn't figure out how to prioritize which games to download, so the ones I wanted to check out, upgraded Forza Horizon 4 and the console version of Gears Tactics are both the largest downloads and the ones the system is opting to save for last, so probs not.

Maybe tomorrow night after work...except I have to go pick up and then set up the PS5 and go through all of this over again except with that one, so probs not.

Going to hit Targets B2G1 on Friday night before the gym or Saturday afternoon after work/before the movies and hopefully get NBA 2K21, COD: Ronald Reagan, and either Assassin's Creed or Watching Dogs. Will likely do the Ubi (sadly, Demons Souls and Spider-Man don't qualify as part of the promo, so I'm just buying Miles standard with the system tomorrow) on Series X and COD on PS5, unsure about NBA. May switch the first two up, honestly not sure, probably prefer the Xbox controller for the FPS based on the different CODs I played last generation. The game I am most interested in for the promo is Yakuza: Like A Dragon, but since that's, as far as I can tell, just an Xbox One game with a patch to optimize it for the new machines, it only costs $60, which would mean I'm not maximizing the promotion since I'm definitely getting NBA and COD. Only case against NBA, as I want it to be a technical show case, is that it my not be completely built from the ground up for these machines.

First impression of the Series X is that I wish I had more room under my TV (the stand is dual layered, but not enough space on either layer), because it looks so much better standing vertically, while horizontal just makes it look like a big black box with the Xbox logo on its side rather than this beautiful 2001-esque obelisk. If this thing can't stand, there's not a chance in hell that the PS5 will work vertically based on what I hear, as that's supposed to be way bigger. Could move them to the table by the side, perhaps, but then I'll just have a bunch of space under the TV that should be handling the systems, so that may not look great either, though I also quite like the curves of the vertical PS5 in the reveal videos and wonder if you lose that going vertical. Tbh the logo thing on this Xbox pisses me off more than how bulky it looks. I know that baby wants to stand tall, and I'll just have to let it do that eventually, or hope I stop caring so much. Otherwise, it feels like the One X did, as the dashboard is exactly the same and the menus seem to be that way as well. Excited to give the games a try eventually, whenever that may be. The controller feels slightly different, which is in line with the rest of the machine from what I can tell, and falls in line with MS's philosophy of just having this be the be all end all machine for them/a point of unity for their marketplace in the way that I imagine I'd feel if I didn't wait the extra year and just went from the iPhone 11 to the 12 Pro Max or something. Which is fine, just less immediately exciting, though I think the lack of a big launch title might contribute to that more.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #833 on: November 11, 2020, 08:23:29 PM »
Glad you're enjoying it, FLY.

I might see if any PS5s are available tomorrow morning but I'm not going to spend much effort looking for one.

Still plugging away at Sekiro. I usually fight a miniboss/boss a night and then play more on the weekend. I did two tonight so I feel pretty good. Shaping up to be one of the best of these style of From Soft games.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #834 on: November 11, 2020, 08:35:16 PM »
I'd say if you're interested in PS5 the best bet might be midnight tonight (or 11pm, I think TX is an hour behind me) through Wal-Mart and Best Buy online. Sony has done some anti-COVID grandstanding about not having them out in stores at launch outside of what was already reserved, but GS has already said they'll have consoles in store on Black Friday, so who knows what stores are doing tomorrow anyway.

In reality, I probs should have held the xbox to capitalize on the short supply and holiday rush, and should do the same with the PS5 since I'm not pressed to play anything on either at launch, but I just like games too much and want to get my hands on each, so it's worth the little I'm paying for each after the gift cards and trades and stuff.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #835 on: November 14, 2020, 07:48:48 AM »
Here are my thoughts on Red Dead Redemption 2.

WHY WON'T YOU LET ME SPRINT YOU MOTHERCINECAST!ERS!

I haven't played RDR2 but this brings to mind a major gaming peeve of mine... and I'm trying to remember the game that is responsible for starting this atrocious trend. In the name of "realism and immersiveness" all games (especially FPS's) suddenly incorporated stamina into the gameplay and characters could only run for short durations. It's such a dumb and mundane game mechanic. It's like why don't they add in brushing your teeth, tying shoelaces and all the other boring realities of life while they're at it. Lets make a game that so real that it's not even an escape from reality, but just another version of tedium and responsibility.

It's also a stupid mechanic because in almost ever case they sprint duration is like 15 seconds. I'm playing as some super space marine or crazy medievil warrior who is capable of throwing a giant over a mountain but they can't sprint for more than 15 seconds at a time? Go away. Games with limited sprinting are automatic zeroes.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #836 on: November 14, 2020, 07:49:48 PM »
Here are my thoughts on Red Dead Redemption 2.

WHY WON'T YOU LET ME SPRINT YOU MOTHERCINECAST!ERS!

I haven't played RDR2 but this brings to mind a major gaming peeve of mine... and I'm trying to remember the game that is responsible for starting this atrocious trend. In the name of "realism and immersiveness" all games (especially FPS's) suddenly incorporated stamina into the gameplay and characters could only run for short durations. It's such a dumb and mundane game mechanic. It's like why don't they add in brushing your teeth, tying shoelaces and all the other boring realities of life while they're at it. Lets make a game that so real that it's not even an escape from reality, but just another version of tedium and responsibility.

It's also a stupid mechanic because in almost ever case they sprint duration is like 15 seconds. I'm playing as some super space marine or crazy medievil warrior who is capable of throwing a giant over a mountain but they can't sprint for more than 15 seconds at a time? Go away. Games with limited sprinting are automatic zeroes.

I'm with you. I hate it. Ghost Recon Breakpoint does it too and it just sucks. It doesn't feel good.

Adding a stamina bar with a stamina core to your character plus your horse in RDR2 blows.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #837 on: November 14, 2020, 08:45:02 PM »
I think it depends on the game. For a game where stamina management matters like the Souls game or say a first person brawler it keeps you from just spamming dodges over and over again.

For most open world third person action games I agree it's often just annoying to play characters who can do amazing feats but get winded after 10 seconds. RDR2 has stamina cores you can unlock but I remember them being behind dumb achievements that make no sense. You can drink some stamina potions to run for a longer time.

A positive example is the Morrowind style where multiple stats affect fatigue that can drain for many reasons but also regains at a reasonable rate.

So to sum it all up, I like it when it gives you meaningful choices or has some purpose but it is often is added on games where it ends up being a nuisance

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #838 on: November 16, 2020, 12:05:59 AM »
I finally got glasses (I'm nearsighted) and my enjoyment of video games tripled. I no longer play my Switch exclusively handheld. I guess I just thought everyone's eyes get this bad so I didn't see a problem.

I got back into FINAL FANTASY XII: THE ZODIAC AGE (5 hours in) and I absolutely love it. While I love the story of VII (the oft cited fan favorite), I consider VI the best and XII reminds me a lot of VI for some reason. Vaan may be the least interesting character in the ensemble, but he's not nearly as bad as most JRPG mains. I just love the look of the game's world. It's a bizarre mix of STAR WARS and GLADIATOR that shouldn't work at all and yet it does? I know the combat is divisive, but it's heavily reminiscent of the strategy games I played as a teen.

I gave THE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT a second try. I just can't get into it. I don't know what it is. I am playing it on the Switch (it's not a great port - some of the pop-in gives me GCN/PS2/XB flashbacks) so perhaps if I got it for the PS4, I would enjoy it more. While I am wearing glasses that allow me to see the teeny tiny text, I still strain even then to see the writing. I've never gotten further than an hour or two in but maybe it's the pace that just isn't grabbing me. The game also feels overbearingly dour and the lighting is generally dark. I doubt I will give it a third try.

Don't overlook SUPER MARIO BROS. 35. I nearly lost an hour to it. Super addictive.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #839 on: November 16, 2020, 07:19:28 PM »
FFXII is a very overlooked entry in the series, and is a lot of fun. I want to try the re-release, as I hear it lets you speed up some of the grind heavier portions.

love