Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75662 times)

Solid Blake

• Godfather
What are you playing?
« on: January 01, 2019, 06:16:35 AM »
Happy New Year gang! 2018 was one helluva year for games. In the effort to recap the past 12 months, I attempted to narrow down my list to 10 titles—couldn’t do it. Then I tried 20–nope. 25? STILL TOO RESTRICTIVE. So, this year I’m going to be posting my 31 Favorite Games of 2018 once a day throughout the month of January. I’ll probably miss a day or two, but I’m gonna try this gosh-dernit. Ok, to the list!

31:  Sea of Thieves, developed by Rare, played on the Xbox One X for approximately 20 hours. This game is probably a disappointment for a lot of people, but I think that has a lot to do with expectations. This is a gorgeously crafted open world multiplayer loot-grabbing game, with about the amount of content/things to do you’d expect from games of the same ilk (Destiny). Yes, it can be repetitive. However, I’ve met so many nice people in this game (very little griefing percentage) and the organic player-made experiences were very fun/memorable. Also, that realistic water meets cartoon aesthetic is a treat for thine eyes. I got this via Game Pass, which was a great way to dip your toes into this game—though Rare should have went free-to-play and charged for cosmetics, but that’s just business Blake talking. In conclusion, it was a great pirate playground to fool around with, and manning a galleon with a coordinated pirate crew is a gaming memory that will stick with me for quite some time. YAAR!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:05:23 AM by Solid Blake »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you playing? NOW STREAMING 2019!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 11:18:27 AM »
A new year of gaming!

I didn't play a lot of 2018 games, still have a ton to catch up with, but I'll probably make a list of my favorites soon.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 09:43:53 PM »
I should probably also post this little list now, before I forget.

Top 10 Most Anticipated 2019 Games:

1. Death Stranding
2. Spelunky 2
3. In the Valley of the Gods
4. Days Gone
5. Metro: Exodus
6. Biomutant
7. Tom Clancy’s The Division 2
8. Resident Evil 2
9. Control
10. The Outer Worlds

... I’m also pretty sure this is the third time I’ve included Days Gone on one of these.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 03:26:49 PM »
30: Donut County, developed by Ben Esposito, played on the iPhone XS Max for approximately 2 hours. This is the perfect drop things down holes game to play while dropping things down holes [/toilethumor]. The “gameplay,” and I’m using the term lightly, is overtly simplistic:  you drop things into a hole and the hole gets bigger. The way this puzzle mechanic evolves is never really mind-blowing, but the charm, humor and quirky aesthetic helps carry your intention throughout the game. It’s never really challenging nor is it captivating, but it made me smile, and in 2018–I needed that. *quack quack* Have a garbage day!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 11:43:59 PM »
31:  Sea of Thieves, developed by Rare, played on the Xbox One X for approximately 20 hours. This game is probably a disappointment for a lot of people, but I think that has a lot to do with expectations. This is a gorgeously crafted open world multiplayer loot-grabbing game, with about the amount of content/things to do you’d expect from games of the same ilk (Destiny). Yes, it can be repetitive. However, I’ve met so many nice people in this game (very little griefing percentage) and the organic player-made experiences were very fun/memorable. Also, that realistic water meets cartoon aesthetic is a treat for thine eyes. I got this via Game Pass, which was a great way to dip your toes into this game—though Rare should have went free-to-play and charged for cosmetics, but that’s just business Blake talking. In conclusion, it was a great pirate playground to fool around with, and manning a galleon with a coordinated pirate crew is a gaming memory that will stick with me for quite some time. YAAR!!

Responsible for one of the greatest moments in gaming history. swearing warning, screaming warning...

I will never not enjoy watching this clip. :))

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 12:45:53 AM »
That was great. I love when people freak out over make-believe things.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 10:08:37 AM »
The transition from calm tranquility to “CAPTAIN!” gets me every time.  ;D

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 03:49:17 PM »
29: Below, developed by Capybara Games, played on the Xbox One X for approximately 7 hours. Below is cruel. It’s flipping CRUEL. I was hoping for a Zelda-rogue-like, instead it was a Dark-Souls-rogue-like. That should have pissed me off, and, initially, it did. I hated dying from hunger for the first time, I hated dying from a difficulty spike, or a literal spike-trap, etc.. Nevertheless, I kept pushing through and delving deeper into the cavernous abyss because of the stellar soundtrack and art design. The moment to moment—high stakes combat helped me to overlook the survival mechanics that I normally dislike. The interesting atmosphere and cleverly hidden secrets keep me wanting to craft more lanterns and chow down on bat morsels, so I can keep on going. On paper, I should dislike this game... but I don’t. I keep coming back to it, and I can see myself chipping away at it throughout the next few months. Oh, and PSA: it’s on Game Pass, so give it a poke. (I'm going to praising Game Pass a lot in this list, so GET USED TO IT.)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 07:33:37 PM »
Good to know it made it to Game Pass, I will check that out and hope it's not too much like Don't Starve.

Also, you really think Death Stranding hits this year?

Also, also, that avatar has got to go.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 07:54:38 PM »
Good to know it made it to Game Pass, I will check that out and hope it's not too much like Don't Starve.

Also, you really think Death Stranding hits this year?

Also, also, that avatar has got to go.

Yes, yes, NO!

love