Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75644 times)

Solid Blake

• Godfather
Re: What are you playing? NOW STREAMING 2019!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 10:17:21 AM »
Oh cool, I made it onto that Kotaku Highlight Reel thingy:

https://youtu.be/hWEHNltoo7o

My clip is around the 2:50 mark.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 05:04:51 PM »
28: The Gardens Between, developed by The Voxel Agents, played on the Xbox One X for approximately 2 hours. This is yet another Game Pass discovery, with the twee art style grabbing my attention when I was in need of a palette cleanser between gritty shooters/monster slayers. The gameplay is overtly simple: you manipulate time (forward/reverse) as two childhood friends explore these memory vignettes in the shape of islands. It gets more and more complicated as you progress, but never really challenging. It’s just the perfect wind down after work game. This probably could have been a phone game (is it?), but it sure does look pretty on my 65” OLED as well. If you have an afternoon to burn and want an inoffensive puzzler to breeze through, this one’s for you.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 06:36:01 PM »
Oh cool, I made it onto that Kotaku Highlight Reel thingy:

My clip is around the 2:50 mark.
Nice!

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 08:38:12 AM »
27: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, developed by Treyarch, played on the Xbox One X for 73 hours. BLACKOUT! *loud music blaring* I have only played one third of this game. Zombies/hoard modes do not appeal to me, and the multiplayer suite is impenetrable at this point, but Blackout, CoD’s first attempt at Battle Royale, is a lot of fun. Though not as intricate/simulation-based as PUBG, and not as cartoony as Fortnite, Blackout was able to still form it’s own identity in the BR realm. The whole Blackout lore being intertwined in the map/collectibles does absolutely nothing for me, but I could see that being rad for those invested in this franchise. I had a hell of a time with this game, but it still sits lower on my end of the year list because the remaining 2/3rds of the game are very unappealing. Hopefully, they will break away from the $60 all-in-one package and sell each mode piecemeal, but that would be way too customer-friendly. Regardless, I’m somewhat interested in the next Call of Duty game, so that’s saying something.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 11:44:02 AM »
26: Florence, developed by Mountains, played on the iPhone XS Max for approximately 45 minutes. Stupid little dumb iPhone game that may or may not have made me reflect on broken relationships and accumulate some tears in my eyeball regions. Whatever.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 08:46:46 AM »
25: Shadow of the Tomb Raider, developed by Eidos Montréal, played on the Xbox One X for 21 hours. The first few hours of this game promised an equally evolved/entertaining sequel that Rise of the Tomb Raider was for the 2013 reboot. Unfortunately, the abysmal story and lack-luster-latter half of the game really detracted from these great early impressions. That said, I still had fun with She-Rambo just straight up murdering fools in the jungle. The attempt at bringing "character" to Lara, and even her wet noodle of a friend, Jonah, was a botched one; however, I still enjoyed the basic Arkham Asylum-esque exploration and the challenge tombs enough to keep me pushing through the slog. This game sat on my most disappointing list for a while, but I think I got so much out of the first 10 hours and the subsequent tombs to overcome said disappointment.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 10:04:26 AM »
Started playing Marvel's Spider-Man recently. What a quality video game. Swinging through NYC feels good and takes me back to those Spider-Man 2 days without some of the jank and obviously a much prettier looking city. It's one of those rare games where simply going around the world is so fun I find myself doing a lot of side-activities between missions.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »

HE'S A MENACE!!! It's a fun game. Pro-tip: If you plan on doing a lot of the side activities, definitely do them while you're going through the main story campaign (juxtaposed to mainlining the story and saving them for last). I platinum'd that bad boy, but going through all the side stuff right at the end can be pretty repetitive.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 05:21:57 AM »
24: Celeste, developed by Matt Thorson and Noel Berry, played on the Xbox One X for 10 hours. I didn't like Super Meat Boy. I don't like challenging platformers. But I like Celeste. A lot of that has to do with the atmosphere, from the nostalgic chip-tuney soundtrack, to the simplistic-yet-pleasing art style. It can be frustrating at times, especially when I'm trying for those pesky elusive strawberries, but I could always put the game down and usually achieve success after coming back to it with a new attitude/fresh perspective. I never really related/was moved by the story; however, I'm glad it's there and that people are getting a lot from a 2D platformer. BONUS! It's free on Xbox Games with Gold right now, so definitely give that ish a download.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 06:39:11 PM »
It'd be much higher on my list. In fact, it landed on my favorites of all time. I super related to the story as it mirrors a lot of my own mental health history.