Author Topic: What are you playing? NOW STREAMING 2019!  (Read 2632 times)

Solid Blake

• Elite Member
Re: What are you playing? NOW STREAMING 2019!
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 07:34:36 AM »
I came very close to ordering this pre-build last night:

But, honestly--I can't come up with any legitimate reason to dive back into PC gaming. HDR10 support is spotty right now amongst most games/monitors and the Xbox One X is able to achieve native 4K for most games, and I'm not a frames-per-second fiend (30FPS doesn't bother me, though 60FPS is nice). The majority of the best games I've played in the last decade have been console exclusives, and most indie PC games do make their way over to the consoles eventually. Unless I'm missing any crucial points, but why would anyone invest so much into PC gaming nowadays--when it seems to be the least supported portion of the medium? The idea of totally designing a PC desk/LED lighting setup sounds great, but having to figure out which monitor to go with (ultra wide, G-sync?) and sinking too much money into annual upgrades versus only paying $400-500$ every 5 years or so on a new console iteration really speaks to my wallet. I'm dumb though, and I like the shiniest, newest, latest, best things... so someone, please convince me that it's not worth it. Or is it?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 10:10:22 AM »
I'm not convincing you of anything. That being said, here are a few of my favorite things about PC gaming:

1-Diversity of games. There are some serious gems that never make it to consoles and some heady strategy titles that just wouldn't work. Sure, you get the likes of Hollow Knight and Celeste, but what about more experimental games like A Mortician's Tale or Passage that don't fit into the console gamespace.

2-Backwards compatibility. I can play just about every generation of gaming on my PC with just a bit of effort. GOG makes a lot of it painless for modern systems but even those that require some tweaking are not too bad. As much as I love my PS4, the fact it has extremely limited backwards compatibility is a huge bummer. And don't even get me started on Nintendo making people buy the same game for each new console. Maybe their online service will change that but I love having my PC collection being there basically as long as I can keep everything backed up. I've got gigs of old and new games on my external drive ensuring if the internet ever dies I'll have my own mini-library of games to play.

3-I already need a PC. I already use my PC for browsing the web, writing, image editing, etc., why not also just spend a bit more money to make it a gaming system? Every PC I've build is cheaper than the cheapest Macbook on the market and can do far more than those laptops can. If you can buy a Macbook every 4-5 years, you can easily build a budget gaming PC. You won't be playing with everything on high with the latest releases a few years down the line, but it'll still give you the biggest library gaming has to offer.

4-Games are cheap. Too cheap, some argue. I have bought so many games for a buck or two and still haven't gotten around to playing them. Bundles, frequent sales, insane price drops and more make for easily the most aggressive gaming market. Lots of digital vendors competing has made it easy to stretch your dollars. I once calculated how much money I spent on average per game and it was $5.88. That's absurd. It's one of many reasons why I feel like I've gotten my value out of PC gaming as my primary gaming platform.

Solid Blake

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 11:02:55 AM »
OK! You convinced me.  ;)

23: Onrush, developed by Codemasters Evo, played on the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X for approximately 20 hours. Sometimes, after a long day at work, you just want to come home to a dumb, mindless arcadey game where pretty things go boom. Onrush is that game for me. I picked this up on sale for PS4, and later got it for the Xbox when it came to Game Pass *Game Pass RuLeS* and I loved the whole racing-but-not-really-racing-game approach. The game modes basically encourage take downs, ŗ la Burnout, over skillfull driving and the playfully lame/carefree ďfeelĒ of the game feels like it was taken straight out of the late 90ís. It was a slight bummer that the game lacked any variation/ranked modes or incentives to play more seriously at launch; however, Iíve heard that support is continuing to improve. Itís just a shame that we will probably never see another one of these in the future, but Iím happy to have this big dumb wreck-fest to come home to every night.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 09:01:13 PM »
The only plus of console gaming for me is that it's couch gaming. And that's a big plus. :)

Solid Blake

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 07:15:30 AM »
22: Monster Hunter: World, developed by Capcom, played on the PlayStation 4 Pro for approximately 30 hours. I never thought I would get into a Monster Hunter game, but this one made most things accessible and opened the door to hunting them monsters. After figuring out the super convoluted cooperative multiplayer system, I did have some fun memories taking down the next big bad dinosaur/bat/dragon/etc.; however, I got burnt out on this one pretty quick compared to my PSN friends that still hop on for end-game challenges (probably because I was climbing all over remake Colossi at the same time). Once the "grind" became apparent, it really turned me off, but I still had so much fun shooting those poor creatures with my bow & arrow, that this game still leaves fond memories in my mouth. I'm not sure I'll ever jump into another one of these, but I am glad I was able to penetrate the franchise and see what all the fuss is about.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 09:46:22 AM »
Yea, the grind still looks like it would be a big turnoff to me but I'm glad some people seemed to connect with this one. I'm just pretty sure Monster Hunter is not for me.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 08:21:30 PM »
There's only one place you can play Obra Dinn. I want a gaming PC, have for a while, but still not in the cards for a high end prebuilt like this one, and don't have anywhere close to the confidence to build my own.

Solid Blake

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 05:14:21 AM »
21: Burnout Paradise Remastered, developed by Criterion Games, played on the Xbox One X for approximately 10 hours. I love this game because of the reasons why I loved Onrush so much, but the actual racing/driving is done a lot better. Paradise is the high point for arcade racing games and this remaster made me very nostalgic for when I played this back in 2008. It's a bummer that they took out the crash-cam reactions, where the console camera would capture the reaction of the player you took out. Sure, it was about 50% penises, but it was a quirky feature that helped humanize a silly wreck-orgy of sparks and metal. I'm pretty positive that this baby is available via the EA vault in their EA Access program, so definitely check this one out--especially if you missed it when it first came out. It also has pretty much every DLC item packaged in and, oh, and the music/radio DJ is so stupidly positive/nostalgic... I love it.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 08:51:33 AM »
Take me down to Paradise city
Where the grass is green
And the girls are pretty

Quality pick.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 09:51:22 AM »
I almost never play games a second time, but I get tempted every time I see Burnout Paradise in the PS Store.
Switchboard
Watched 2019

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Poor  |  Crap