love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75689 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: What are you playing? NOW STREAMING 2019!
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 07:46:30 PM »
I almost never play games a second time, but I get tempted every time I see Burnout Paradise in the PS Store.

Tbh that game seems like it goes on sale digitally for about $3 so many times that I think you should just get it to have if you want/somehow do find the free time to just squeeze in a few races after work or on a snowy/rainy Sunday. Obvi there's always family stuff to do, and I'm sure having a child makes any free time previous, but it's such a solid package and fun one to have that when it hits such a deep discount it's worth getting. Some places you can't even get a cup of tea for less than $3, and Burnout probably won't burn your tongue : /

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 10:38:38 AM »
20: Super Mario Party, developed by NDcube, played on the Nintendo Switch for approximately 4 hours. Alcohol. You need alcohol to play this game. That's a strong caveat, especially for those who don't drink. It's a nonsensical game where players get screwed over and the mini-games are gimmicky at the very best. That said, when you're drinking with friends/family and talking smack as you pass them for their prized stars--nothing beats a (Super) Mario Party. I also grew up playing these games. My sister still throws on her Nintendo 64 when she has us over to her lake cabin, so this series is tinged with nostalgia. I can say, out of all the games on the list, it’s probably the worst “video game,” but it is a digitized board game that is unapologetically cruel and hilarious. My major complaint is that it only supports Joycons, not my Pro controller nor even my NES joycons don’t work with the damn thing. That said, this game is a blast amongst friends and foes alike.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 03:55:38 PM »
That's my most recent acquisition as I stock up on a couple online games to try to justify my membership. It is...a Mario Party game. I'll be ready to play it with my nephews when I move back closer to family and I imagine that will be fun.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 04:44:55 PM »
The only joy I get out of Mario Party is watching the Giant Bomb people play them and just have the most miserably awful time.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 08:54:39 PM »
I need to catch up on the latest one!

EDIT: Has anyone tried the DoA 6 beta? I've been mulling over the past couple of weeks which system to get it on.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:56:26 PM by FLYmeatwad »

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2019, 09:35:00 AM »
19: holedown, developed by grapefrukt games, played on the iPhone XS Max for approximately 9 hours. This another great toilet game, but unlike Donut County--this one has some depth/skills to develop that feels super rewarding when you master them. Basically, you shoot balls and they bounce off rock formations, which have numbers on them, and you have to wear those numbers down and make sure none of the rocks hit the top of the screen as you progress down into the depths. There's also upgrades available that you unlock via collectible crystals and these help you bank more balls, or allows more shots per life, etc.. Unfortunately, I hit a big skill gap between the planetoid and planet levels, which required me to do some grinding for crystals to continue. I never had any problems after that. Regardless, bouncing these balls, making that perfect bank shot, and watching those numbers go down is just some weirdly satisfying stuff and it was also a perfect podcast game (I couldn't tell you what the music sounds like). I think it's like 3 bucks too, so if you like these Peggle-esque games, I highly recommend checking out holedown.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 07:11:55 AM »
18: Moss, developed by Polyarc, played on the PlayStation VR for approximately 5 hours. I was skeptical of virtual reality. I've never been to a pink-eye ridden kiosk where you can try it out, so when I jumped on those Black Friday PSVR deals I was able to really see that this is not a gimmick and the PSVR is a nice budget-level proof of concept for this future of gaming. Moss isn't the best puzzle/action-adventure game. If I played it on my 2D OLED, I'd probably just brush it off as yet another inoffensive/uninventive platformer/puzzler. But the virtual reality representation of each level, which feels like a tiny diorama and makes you feel like this giant spectator (which you are supposed to be), breathes new life into this genre. You are this big spirit, helping the adorable protagonist (Quill), whom you control, through these levels filled with puzzles, hidden scrolls, and enemies. Unfortunately, the combat doesn't feel great; conversely, the exploration, somewhat challenging puzzles and petting Quill for the millionth time will help you forget those downfalls. This is also a great family-friendly VR game to share with the young ones, which went over well with my niece and nephew.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 11:14:36 AM »
Heard lots of great things about Moss, but PSVR is just too rich for my blood. I've experienced VR a few times and really dug it. I'd love to play something like Obduction in VR.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 03:57:09 PM »
I was contemplating getting Oculus Go. Not sure if that one has good stuff or not.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 04:13:08 PM »
I was contemplating getting Oculus Go. Not sure if that one has good stuff or not.

From my understanding, the games are very “phone quality” and limited experiences on the Go due to limited computing power and the single hand controller. The GO has good optic quality for VR video, though. I suggest waiting for the Oculus Quest and see how that fares before pulling the trigger on any headset.

love