love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75738 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: What are you playing? NOW STREAMING 2019!
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2019, 12:39:03 PM »
Got a new 4k HDR TV for my b-day. I'm excited to check out some games.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2019, 01:00:59 PM »
Got a new 4k HDR TV for my b-day. I'm excited to check out some games.

Nice. If you're looking for HDR showcases, I'd recommend the following:

-Marvel's Spider Man
-Horizon: Zero Dawn
-Forza Horizon 4
-Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey
-Gran Turismo Sport

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2019, 02:35:17 PM »
Oh yeah, Forza is very pretty so far. Trying Ass Creed now.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2019, 06:48:05 AM »
6. Beat Saber, developed by Beat Games, played on the PlayStation VR for approximately 20 hours. It's been awhile since I've had Rock Band been a focal point at a friends/family get-together. The plastic instruments have all been donated to Salvation Army and gaming hasn't been a huge communal part of my life. Beat Saber has changed that. Instead of a group activity, only one person can actually play the game. However, it's so much fun watching a loved one flail about wildly, everyone is engaged when Beat Saber is going down. The idea is simple: you have two colored light sabers, and you have to hit boxes according to color/direction--all set to music. The feeling of the PS Move controllers vibrating upon each block swipe is continually satisfying and the game just feels so damn natural in VR. Having a sense of depth works and this just wouldn't convert well to a 2D screen. I often find myself doing blind movements based on physical memory and, most importantly, you FEEL SO BAD ASS while doing so. Mind you, you do look like an idiot in real life, but no one cares. This game is so much fun. It's also an exercise! After a challenging run, I often have to shower/sanitize my headset from the overt amount of sweat it would generate from my body. Health benefits aside, it's also incredibly challenging. I'm still trying to master 'Angel Voices' on Expert...

https://youtu.be/bXyXRM1LQio

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2019, 07:15:49 AM »
5. Marvel's Spider-Man, developed by Insomniac Games, played on the PlayStation 4 Pro for approximately 50 hours. Let's get it over with: The web-slinging/traversal feels GREAT. Ok, now with that behind us, we can talk about the most important factor to this game's success: the story. First and foremost, this is a story about Peter Parker. I felt invested in Pete, especially in regards to his relationship with MJ, Aunt May, and his, err, "employer." Watching this character balance his own personal life with the responsibilities of a city in chaos, really helped me become even more invested in what could have been just another generic super hero story arc. I enjoyed most bits of this game, yes even the MJ/Miles sequences, and the combat feels less button-mashy and less counter-attack-reliant as the Arkham games felt. There were a few side activities that weren't great (swinging through smog clouds), but I enjoyed being in this virtual New York City so much, that I platinum'd this game. I was actually moved/excited/surprised with certain story elements and this soon became my favorite Spider-Man story in all mediums (Spider-Verse eventually exceeded it, but I digress). This is how you treat a beloved property/franchise. They absolutely nailed the attitude I expect from a Spider-Man game, right down to the first time I clicked the "punch" button on the streets and Spidey gave the finger guns to a waving bystander. I also loved unlocking all of the outfits, with the Stark suit probably being my favorite of the bunch. They handled all the villains very well, and set up a sequel perfectly--I still have the DLC to play through as well, and I'm sure I'll get back to it when the new games stop coming out. I'm excited to see how this motivates other developers/publishers to feel the urge to put the same amount of effort into licensed properties and the slog of mediocre games of the past will be a distant, not-so-fond memory. Oh, and this game probably has the best opening sequence of the year...

https://youtu.be/x5GRszgrass

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2019, 11:47:43 AM »
Yup, it's a quality title and the story is the best part. I tinkered with the idea of platinuming it, but I've not got that kind of time right now given the other hobbies and life activities I'm trying to deal with right now. 

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2019, 03:22:45 PM »
That's pretty much the only game that's made me bummed i have a Xbox and not a PS4.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2019, 03:31:16 PM »
Horizon: Zero Dawn, God of War, Uncharted 4, Shadow of the Colossus, Bloodborne, Gran Turismo Sport, Until Dawn, Ratchet & Clank, etc. are all reasons to own a PS4 as well. I love my Xbox One X, but I can’t name one single Microsoft exclusive I’d hold up over those games.

Oh, and I just got to Mr. X in Resident Evil 2 and I’m officially too STRESSED OUT RIGHT NOW. This game is scary, my dudes.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2019, 04:13:45 PM »
Yea, once I heard about how that works in RE2, I was sold. Might go pick it up tonight or tomorrow.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2019, 07:17:06 AM »
4. ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission, developed by SIE Japan Studio, played on the PlayStation VR for approximately 18 hours. "This feels like a Nintendo game." That quote is being thrown around with this game, and it's warranted. 3D platformers need to elevate themselves to a certain level, otherwise they'll just be another Yooka-Laylee or a Super Lucky's Tale. ASTRO BOT just oozes with charm and inventive platforming, it feels like the titular robot could have been replaced by one mustached plumber and released alongside a new piece of Nintendo tech. The premise is simple, you move a little robot man through a level and try to collect all your missing friends. The genius comes in the virtual reality implementation and the use of the DualShock. Every level seems to introduce a new way to play, either making the player physically head-butt objects, or spray water from your controller to grow plants/fight monsters, or use a flash light to ward off spooky ghosts. Every level is a new surprise and a treat. This trend continues with the boss levels--where I'm constantly surprised with how inventive and fun they can be. On top of that, the allies, enemies, music, atmosphere and world just OOZE with style and character. I smiled more playing this game than I have with most games and when friends/family try it out--the smiles keep'a'comin'. It's just a feel good platformer and, quite honestly, this should be a system seller for Sony. I really hope we see more from this team and this franchise, because, for me, it's on the level of a Super Mario Galaxy or Odyssey even. Just thinking about it, makes me want to go replay the campaign and make sure I collect all my little robo-buddies.

https://youtu.be/gOqWdznjzy0

love