love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75694 times)

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
Re: What are you playing? NOW STREAMING 2019!
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2019, 07:37:53 AM »
Played a bit more Resident Evil 2 this weekend. Got to Tyrant and man did I expect it to be tense but oh my goodness is this game now relentlessly hard. It's so exhausting playing this game, almost like I'm enduring something. Still loving it, but boy was I not ready for this.

I'd really like to give this a go but i don't really want to pay $80 for a remaster.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »
I have the Best Buy Gamer Club membership which gives me 20% off plus I traded in Hitman 2 to pay for another $20 so I got it for a lot cheaper than I would have otherwise. I never buy AAA games at full price.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2019, 01:00:43 PM »
Also, I think the word “Remaster” is misleading. Remastered, to me, is just upping the resolution/cleaning up textures, whereas RE2 feels more like a “Reimagining?” It’s a completely different game based off an older story/framework.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2019, 02:32:59 PM »
Also, I think the word “Remaster” is misleading. Remastered, to me, is just upping the resolution/cleaning up textures, whereas RE2 feels more like a “Reimagining?” It’s a completely different game based off an older story/framework.

I would agree. The fact that it's now properly over-the-shoulder, and not the traditional (awful!) way RE used to be, with a fixed camera at dumb angles which made the game hard not because it was actually hard, but because controlling your character was clumsy at best.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2019, 02:41:49 PM »
Does it also let you save as much as you want and not absurdly limit ammo/items/etc. or is it still a game with terrible game mechanics?

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2019, 03:31:27 PM »
Does it also let you save as much as you want and not absurdly limit ammo/items/etc. or is it still a game with terrible game mechanics?

You can save whenever you want via typewriters (you're not limited to ink ribbons unless you're playing the Hardcore difficulty) and there's auto-save checkpoints before pivotal moments (boss fights, etc.), and ammunition was somewhat scarce--but never extremely limited in my "normal" play-through.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »
Slay the Spire continues to be a daily play for me. Such a smart little game, one in which I feel myself doing pretty consistently well at given how much I've played card games like this before. It's weird to have a game this good come out in January because it's going to be the bar from which I judge the rest of gaming this year.

I was finding Tyrant so hard to deal with in RE2 until I finally realized you could headshot him a few times and he gets stunned. Before I was just grenade launching him to slow him down and then running away. What a brilliant, terrifying character he remains.

I'm itching to play Sunless Skies but until I beat RE2 I'm holding off for now. I was thinking about playing Wargroove, but everyone I trust seems to say the balance of the game is iffy and it sounds like the devs are making a lot of post-game changes so I'm going to hold off and see if it evolves into a better game later in the year.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2019, 09:07:11 PM »
I have the Best Buy Gamer Club membership which gives me 20% off plus I traded in Hitman 2 to pay for another $20 so I got it for a lot cheaper than I would have otherwise. I never buy AAA games at full price.

Damn, when/for how long did you reup? Mine expired like two weeks before they cut it off, and I still regret not adding on a few years. Didn't realize any memberships were still active.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2019, 08:27:07 AM »
I bought two years April 2017, so I only have a couple of months left. Probably Sekiro will be the last game I get at the discount.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2019, 07:26:55 AM »
Sounds like Metro is good, Crackdown and Far Cry 5.5 is mediocre, and that Jump Force anime game is bad?

I'll be playing Metro all weekend, most likely.