Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75679 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: What are you playing? NOW STREAMING 2019!
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2019, 07:57:49 PM »
What about Tetris Royale? I came in 8th last night, and I'm awful at Tetris!

Metro I'll def pick up, but once it hits sale, I still have barely touched KH. Crackdown I guess I'll mess around with? Hated the first game, never played the second, but it's on GamePass. Far Cry I'll definitely get on sale too, I really liked 5, and pretty much all the modern games in the series.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2019, 01:52:07 PM »
I spent most of my weekend playing Apex Legends. I got into a good trio squad, where we were averaging about 20 squad kills per game and I was averaging about 6-8 kills and we walked away with at least a dozen wins over the course of two days. I've moved away from Mirage as my "main," and have been getting used to Lifeline-whose abilities definitely benefit the team better than that trickster-boy. I'm really loving this game. I threw $100 bucks at them for their digital currency, not that I actually care what I get from it, but I'd like to see games like these succeed. I'm sure I'll use that money for "Battle Passes" or legendary skins that go on sale.

In the interim, I'm having a slow start with Metro: Exodus. I started playing on the hardest difficulty, called "Hardcore Ranger," and this game doesn't mess around. Unfortunately, the shooting doesn't feel great and the English voice acting is TERRIBLE. Thankfully, I discovered that you can download the Russian voice tracks and use subtitles, but my subtitles were glitched and stuck on one line. I'm hoping that goes away, otherwise I might have to start over again. The first hour isn't great, either. I'm just getting into the "open world" type stuff and I'm digging it, but the lackluster shooter controls and other aforementioned issues are getting in the way.

Oh, and Crackdown 3 sucks.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2019, 02:32:52 PM »
I'm continuing my trek through Resident Evil 2 and boy does this game take a nosedive in quality. I'm at the final area of the game and this last area just feels completely uninspired in terms of layout and design. I went from being really interested in replaying this to looking forward to moving onto the next thing.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2019, 06:08:09 PM »
I spent most of my weekend playing Apex Legends. I got into a good trio squad, where we were averaging about 20 squad kills per game and I was averaging about 6-8 kills and we walked away with at least a dozen wins over the course of two days. I've moved away from Mirage as my "main," and have been getting used to Lifeline-whose abilities definitely benefit the team better than that trickster-boy. I'm really loving this game. I threw $100 bucks at them for their digital currency, not that I actually care what I get from it, but I'd like to see games like these succeed. I'm sure I'll use that money for "Battle Passes" or legendary skins that go on sale.

I just started playing this on PS4 yesterday. It's crazy how quickly my FPS skills go away when I don't play one for a while. Ugh, I don't feel sharp at all. My situational awareness is just not there. Also, learning a new game and all the nuances of it (and the map, and common threat areas). I'm starting to get the hang of it, but I'm still losing most encounters. I'm still a little clumsy with the controls (it's not all second nature yet). Also, with the amount of different guns, and how you can go a dozen rounds without picking up the same weapon... you really need to be broadly adaptable. I just need to put the hours in to learn the abilities and ranges of each weapon I guess, get a feel for everything. I hate to fire off rounds needlessly to get a sense of how a gun behaves, since it's so hurtful to the squad, so I just figure it out on the fly. And then learning each character. I haven't really focused on one, since my squad would switch every game and there was no guarantees of who you'd get (except Gibralter... nobody seems to pick him). I always let my squad know they're going to be carrying me though.

It's a damn fun game though. As I improve from horrible to below average I'm sure I'll enjoy it more... and maybe eventually win round. ;) It's a nice alternative to Fortnight which derives all it's variety from the match type. I think this is more my style... TF2 style, picking classes. That's the kind of variety of gameplay I enjoy.

If you're on PS4 look me up, John_A_Macdonald . You can carry my ass too. :))

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2019, 04:40:19 AM »
Would love to! Unfortunately, I'm mostly playing on the Xbox One X for now, but if my PS buddies provoke me to play, I'll send you the invite.

As for guns, I'd recommend the following:

Spitfire LMG (Heavy Ammo)
R-99 SMG (Light Ammo)
G7 Scout (Light Ammo)
Hemlock AR (Heavy Ammo)

... you pretty much can't go wrong with those. Energy ammo weapons have the hardest learning curve, IMO, with the Devotion having MASSIVE recoil without weapon attachments and the Triple Take is an odd sniper that's pretty much useless without the precision choke hop up.

I had a hectic battle last night, with around 6 squads converging on one side of the circle. This clip captures the last moments of the battle, but it was pretty much at 11 the whole time.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:18:54 AM by Solid Blake »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2019, 10:06:38 PM »
I had my best round with the R-99 (4 kills), 2nd place finish, using Lifeline. :) It's like shooting a laser... so little recoil.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2019, 08:47:57 PM »
Is anyone else getting DoA6? If so, PS4 or Xbox One? I'm trying to decide where to get mine and I don't know where the scene is going to end up with this one. Historically, I've played on Xbox, but I feel like the sheer numbers are with Sony.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2019, 07:47:23 AM »
I am not. I don't like fighting games anymore.  :-\

I do still like driving simulation games, however, so I will be getting Dirt Rally 2.0 on Tuesday, and I'm hoping it will be a fulfilling experience. After cancelling my pre-order of Anthem, soberly realizing that I don't like these sci-fi-loot-shooter games (i.e. Destiny), combined with my disappointing first impressions/technical issues with Metro: Exodus--I'm in need of some fulfillment.

Oh, my squad won three games in a row in Apex Legends last night. WE ROCK.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2019, 12:30:49 PM »
Decided to lock in the pre-order for Xbox One X.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2019, 06:22:43 AM »
Dirt Rally 2.0 isn't messing around. Simulation driving games have pretty much fallen by the wayside, save Gran Turismo's weird online offshoot that somehow worked (and Forza Motorsport is too arcade-like for me). The driving/damage physics in this game are unforgiving. I attempted my first Rally championship, only to realize that you're given 10 shakedown runs, and 5 restarts per championship. One mistake in a later stage can really set you back, having to sacrifice your total time for repairs. I'm loving the challenges this game throws at you. It's un-apologetically difficult and the learning curve is staggering. That said, nailing the perfect turns as you traverse over different types of driving surfaces feels so good when you nail it. By the end of the 5 stages, I won my first rally championship and now I want to buy another racing wheel.. oh no.

love