love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75645 times)

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
Re: What are you playing? NOW STREAMING 2019!
« Reply #160 on: May 04, 2019, 08:37:48 AM »
God i hope that's true! Splinter Cell is my favourite franchise and I'm dying for another one.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2019, 10:04:04 AM »
Days Gone is superb. It’s flawed, bloated, and trying too hard to be The Just Like The Last of Us; however, like the superbly flawed game Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, this game resembles that mess of a masterpiece in so many ways...

I’m about 60 hours into the game, and I feel like the main story is wrapping up soon—I think. This game’s major fault is in it’s story pacing, which feels like it ramps up at times, only to slow down and introduce a brand new mechanic to the game. This has happened every 4 hours, for the last 60 hours. I don’t mind the new stuff (it makes the game more interesting, adding new methods, tools, challenges, enemies, etc.), but the early game suffers from keeping these away from the player. Character’s motives/actions are portrayed well, but written poorly. I have other complaints, such as Deacon St. John’s voice acting is a little too much, the game struggles at times with frame rate issues and infrequent glitches, and the side activities suffer from repetition—we can thank RDRII for spoiling us in that regard.

Complaints aside, I love this game. I love how challenging it can be. I love the looting. I love the stealth (it’s Metal Gear ya’ll). I love the bike traversal and upgrading/customizing said bike. I love the open world. I love the dynamic weather system. I love the different types of enemy A.I. and how they interact with each other. I love Rikki Patel. I love that you can hunt, I love that freakers can also hunt. I love the upgrade systems and the puzzle elements of Nero checkpoints. I love the hundreds of immersive moments that never were designed as a mission, with A.I. triggering. I loved the first time I stumbled upon a horde of 100+ freakers and how horrifying it was. I loved the first time I lured a horde into a militia camp and let them do all the dirty work for me. I love the time I was in town, and didn’t pay attention to the time, and night set and all the freakers came out of their nests and I had to sneak rooftop to rooftop just to get out alive. I love the lighting and shadow effects, and how flashlights never looked this good. I love the sound design, and hearing a horde from hundreds of yards away and how chilling it is. I love the weapons (I’m mostly a crossbow and shotgun guy) and the ways to upgrade/craft new weapons, traps, lures, etc. I love the voice acting (for the most part). I love that I put 60 hours into this game, and will probably start a new “survival mode” (no HUD, limited crafting materials, harder enemies) when it drops in June. I love this game. I know it’s not the best game, but what it does—allowing these A.I. mechanics interact in the world and thus creating unscripted scenarios unfold in ridiculous and meticulous fashion—it does so well. I hope this game does well for Bend. I would love to see what they can do in a sequel, because this is one damn fine proof of concept.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2019, 05:49:19 PM »
Just achieved the Platinum in Days Gone and I’ll probably start up a new game when the Survival Mode comes out. Killer game.

Now what? I reinstalled Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Conviction because I heard the Xbox One X Enhancements are superb, but that game never excited me in the first place. I also have chapter 3 of Life is Strange 2 dropping tomorrow, so I’ll probably peck away at that. Also Rage 2 comes out soon, I think? I suppose that’ll be a meaty game to sink my teeth into.

I’m also contemplating buying the remake of Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age because I’ve never played it before and I love the Vagrant Story art style. It does look like a capital J-rpg. Has anyone else played this?

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2019, 03:36:02 PM »
God i hope that's true! Splinter Cell is my favourite franchise and I'm dying for another one.

Womp womp, it’s a new Ghost Recon game that I will now and forever refer to as “Point Break.”

https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-announces-ghost-recon-breakpoint-a-sequel-to-1834647973

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2019, 09:36:21 PM »
Why did you give me hope Blake?!?

In saying that, my brother and I were already planning to get back into Wildlands tonight. It’s the only stealth co-op fix we can get. That trailer did look pretty good though. I dig the end reveal too.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2019, 01:56:23 PM »
Whoopsie.  :-[ Yeah, it looks good though... but, man, I need me some hiding in the shadow single-player stealth-action in my life (Days Gone helpfully scratched that itch temporarily).

I ended up getting FFVII, and initial impressions is: Damn, they must have really been influenced by the Star Wars prequels. The art style and battle systems seem
to be very appealing, though. I’ll try to dig into this one more over the rainy weekend.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »
FFVII is a bad game. If they are going to waste time and resources remaking a game, it should be a VIII or IX.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2019, 09:41:40 PM »
Good to know that I’m going to like it.  ;)

Episode 03 - Wasteland was a killer addition to Life is Strange 2. This was the first and only episode that I’ve played through in one sitting, and that’s saying something. I really enjoy where this story is going and how mature themes/issues are brought up in a somewhat respectable manner. This was definitely the best stand alone episode in the LiS universe, for sure.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2019, 09:54:21 PM »
Excited to play that this weekend, still very afraid that the PS4 somehow destroyed my saves.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2019, 04:34:43 AM »
Whoopsie.  :-[ Yeah, it looks good though... but, man, I need me some hiding in the shadow single-player stealth-action in my life (Days Gone helpfully scratched that itch temporarily).

I ended up getting FFVII, and initial impressions is: Damn, they must have really been influenced by the Star Wars prequels. The art style and battle systems seem
to be very appealing, though. I’ll try to dig into this one more over the rainy weekend.

Do you mean FF12 or 7? Because 7 came out before the Star Wars prequels.  :P