Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75699 times)

Solid Blake

• Godfather
Re: What are you playing? NOW STREAMING 2019!
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2019, 06:18:31 AM »
Yep, definitely mistyped the roman numeral.  :-[

I’m also contemplating buying the remake of Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age because I’ve never played it before and I love the Vagrant Story art style. It does look like a capital J-rpg. Has anyone else played this?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2019, 09:40:09 AM »
FFXII is a good game.

VII still sucks.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2019, 07:43:10 PM »
I sold my Nintendo Switch to my brother, as he and his kids will get more use out of it than me (I rarely power that thing on) and there’s no video games in the foreseeable future that warrants me holding onto the thing. Maybe by 2020, when they release the inevitable Switch Plus model, there might be some games that will convince me to dive back into their ecosystem, but as of right now—that console is a complete let down.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #173 on: May 11, 2019, 08:16:27 PM »
Whoopsie.  :-[ Yeah, it looks good though... but, man, I need me some hiding in the shadow single-player stealth-action in my life (Days Gone helpfully scratched that itch temporarily).

I just completed Shadow Of The Tomb Raider and I've started Hitman 2016 which is satisfying my itch a little bit but it's not the same.

Game Pass were having a deal for 3 months for $1 and that was too hard to pass up.

My initial thoughts on Hitman is the main menu is an absolute mess. The front page is like a community hub then you have two tabs for destinations and career which may as well be the same thing. If you didn't know they released the missions over time as episodes you would easily get confused. Plus there is no continue button. If i want to load a save i have to start a map then load it from the in game menu. This morning i tried to do that but i couldn't connect to the Hitman servers and apparently auto save slots are done in online mode so you can't use them in offline mode. What the hell?

Apart from those problems the game is good. It's everything you want Hitman to be. The levels they've created and the million different ways to do things are incredible.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #174 on: May 11, 2019, 09:16:29 PM »
I sold my Nintendo Switch to my brother, as he and his kids will get more use out of it than me (I rarely power that thing on) and there’s no video games in the foreseeable future that warrants me holding onto the thing. Maybe by 2020, when they release the inevitable Switch Plus model, there might be some games that will convince me to dive back into their ecosystem, but as of right now—that console is a complete let down.

What about Pokemon? Still, I'm sure your brother and the kids will get a lot of use out of it, that system does have a lot for families.

I use mine for Smash, and do love the indie selection. I feel like if I lived in a city I may use it more, but as someone who doesn't have a PC that can do shit, it's helped me play a lot of cool things, especially since I've mostly migrated to Xbox as my main console.

Solid Blake

• Godfather

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2019, 06:30:37 PM »
I'm close to giving up on "hardcore gaming," whatever that term even means at this point. I've not turned on my PS4 in months unless I'm going to watch a movie in my room, I play the Switch some but I messed up the left thumbstick and need to send it in for repair. I play some Magic Arena from time to time, mostly because I'm too tired/cheap to go play physical Magic with people.

I'm seriously thinking about selling my PS4 and buying a Roku or something similar for streaming. Might keep the Switch for the odd indie game/traveling. Obvi, will still have PC if I ever get the siren call to come back. Maybe when Dwarf Fortress gets that paid version I'll come back for that.

Until then, it's time to pursue other hobbies.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2019, 07:27:57 AM »
Later skater.  8)

Honestly, I don't think you'll be missing out on much. 2019 has been lackluster in regards to gaming, with my current top 10 favorite games probably not even close to breaking through the top 10 of 2018. Days Gone is my favorite game thus far, but it would have been buried any other year. Resident Evil 2 was a close contender, but the disappointing third act keeps it from shining. All forthcoming games aren't very exciting, either. I'm going to play Rage 2, but I doubt I'll get sucked into another punk-apocalyptic setting. I'm somewhat excited for Jedi: Fallen Order, but I'm not foaming at the mouth over it, like I would at a new Naughty Dog game. Unless Ghost of Tsushima or The Last of Us: Part II somehow sneak into the calendar year, 2019 is looking mediocre, at best, for gaming.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2019, 05:33:53 PM »
Rage 2 looks like doo doo butter. I’m playing on the Xbox One X, and it appears they focused on a locked 60FPS to maintain the Doom feel at the expense of everything else; if you told me this was a previous gen game—I’d believe you. In fact, when not in motion, the original 2010 game looks better than this. The blurry resolution, muddy textures, and terrible shading... it’s not a good look. I doubt most of this will matter when I’m running around and making neon explosions, but the second I slow down to absorb my surroundings, the limitations of this engine is already REALLY distracting.

Also, the tone/humor of this game is bad. Not off to a great start.  ???

EDIT: 2 hard crashes from just looking through the menu screen... uh-oh.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 06:14:43 PM by Solid Blake »

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2019, 01:24:20 PM »
I bought an Oculus Quest because I’m dumb. I’ll hopefully have time to mess around with it tonight and share some initial impressions.  8)