love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75697 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you playing? NOW STREAMING 2019!
« Reply #240 on: October 03, 2019, 11:48:53 PM »
True, Shenmue 1 was ridiculously overrated.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #241 on: October 04, 2019, 09:57:36 AM »
I love Shenmue. Maybe I just have a thing for convenience stores.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #242 on: October 17, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
I love Shenmue. Maybe I just have a thing for convenience stores.

/\ This. I just loved that there was a lavishly detailed environment that felt real/lived in. It's the thing that draws me into most modern open world games, and the OG Shenmue was a mind-boggling achievement in its time. I'm ready for another trip down memory lane, with new 4K-rendered sailors to look for.

I've been playing a lot more iOS games due to the release of Apple Arcade. The standout, by far, is What The Golf?

In spite of being a 30-something beige-boy, I hate golf; but yet I love this game. Mainly because it's far removed from the actual sport of golf, but also because it features some of the most inventive and varied level designs that I've seen from a phone game. It's funny, and it's challenging and it's fun. Should've went with Par Cry tho.

Other notable games that I've checked out briefly and want to get into more are: Sayonara: Wild Hearts, Assemble, Grindstone, Card of Darkness, Neocab, and Overland. I JUST NEED MORE FREE TIME!!!

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #243 on: October 23, 2019, 11:24:55 PM »
Going to give The Outer Worlds a spin on GamePass next week.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #244 on: October 25, 2019, 05:57:45 AM »
First impressions of Modern Warfare’s campaign: it good.

I’ll try to test out some The Outer Worlds later, hope it good too.

It all good.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #245 on: October 25, 2019, 08:23:24 AM »
I'm pretty excited about Outer Worlds. I like the idea of a Fallout style game but I just can't get into the post-apocalyptic BROWN of those games. This seems like a more colorful take on the systems so I'm excited to see if it grabs me.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #246 on: October 25, 2019, 11:38:58 AM »
Played the opening hours of The Outer Worlds. Easily the best this style of game has played. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised since New Vegas was much more playable as a shooter than Fallout 3.

The humor here is funny but hasn't made me laugh out loud yet. I like the more colorful setting and while Unreal 4 isn't perfect, it seems to be working pretty well. I get some framerate drops in certain areas or if I move too fast but otherwise it runs quite well on my 5+ year old machine.

The idea that this is about 40 hours also appeals to me. That's around the time I tend to tire of these style of games.

Also, got this through the Xbox Game Pass on PC which has a handful of games I've wanted to play for a while now. First month only costed a dollar and will be $5 as long as it's in beta.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:05:14 PM by Sam the Cinema Snob »

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #247 on: October 25, 2019, 06:55:56 PM »
Outer Worlds is on PC Pass? I might have to check it out.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #248 on: October 30, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »
I finished the campaign of Modern Warfare on the "Realism" difficulty level and it wasn't as frustrating as I thought it would be. It was challenging, but I feel like it's one of the easier CoD campaigns in quite some time. It's also one of the best. Not every level is a winner. But, the high moments are the best this franchise has ever been (basically any mission with Price by your side). The situations throughout the campaign are all very derivative from films like Zero Dark Thirty, Sicario, 13 Hours, etc.; however, they're all very well done and cinematic/gorgeous in their delivery. The claustrophobic missions that feature SWAT-like tactics are the highlight for me. Clearing every corner of a darkly lit London row house and/or an insurgent cave system is the most tense I've ever felt playing a first person shooter, especially contrasted against the nauseatingly bombastic/Michael Bay nature of previous Call of Duty campaigns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRO7TFyOukw

I was pleasantly surprised with how varied and engaging this campaign was. The attempt at looking into the moral quandaries/ethical grey-areas of "modern warfare" wasn't a home run, but it did ask some interesting questions and did make me reflect on the 5 hours I spent murdering a bunch of people. Regardless, on a strictly technical rating--this is, by far, the best Call of Duty has been in quite some time. I've been so burnt out by this franchise and was close to never buying one again (looking at you Black Ops III, ya big jerk), but I'm actually genuinely excited to see what Infinity Ward does next.

Oh, and the multiplayer is addicting/fun "AF" as the kids would say.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #249 on: October 31, 2019, 10:58:31 PM »
Oh, and the multiplayer is addicting/fun "AF" as the kids would say.

My biggest complaint about the last COD game I played (I think it was Black Ops), was that there was WAAAAAY to much time spent in the lobby waiting for a game to kick off. I swear it was like 5 to 10% of the time you were playing you were actually just waiting for a match to begin. Horrible system. Also the matches were far too short. 10 minutes or something? Then back to the lobby with a bunch of annoying children screeching into their mics for 2 minutes. I enjoyed the gameplay and hated the game.

Fortnite and Apex Legends are far better that way. Insta-launch. Fewer people to mute if they're being annoying. Gameplay, just as good.