love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75691 times)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #400 on: March 20, 2020, 07:02:00 PM »
Just got a Ps4 in preparation for quarantine. What are the essentials that I should get?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #401 on: March 20, 2020, 07:09:02 PM »
Which sorts of games do you like to play, and have you had an Xbox One, or this would be your first console this generation?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #402 on: March 20, 2020, 07:11:35 PM »
My code is 7073-7250-1252

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #403 on: March 20, 2020, 08:39:32 PM »
- I reached Chapter 17 of FIRE EMBLEM: THREE HOUSES (Verdant Wind) Damn, this is a long game. I feel like it should be wrapping up soon. Five more chapters means (at least) five more hours. I might put this one on the back burner. For the first half, I breezed through the game, but this second is a real challenge. I have restarted a few battles several times.

- I started SOUTH PARK: THE STICK OF TRUTH. The combat feels like it is going to take a little while to get used to but the story and presentation are aces.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #404 on: March 20, 2020, 08:57:47 PM »
Blasted through that South Park game in like a weekend one time when I was sick a year or two back. It nails the look and is pretty funny, plus it's mostly just great to walk around the town (FLY may even defend the Nintendo 64 FPS for similar reasons), even though I don't watch the show any more.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #405 on: March 20, 2020, 10:14:05 PM »
Just got a Ps4 in preparation for quarantine. What are the essentials that I should get?
Marvel's Spider-Man
Bloodborne (My personal fav, but very hard)
God of War
Horizon: Zero Dawn (Soon to come to PC)
Until Dawn

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #406 on: March 21, 2020, 02:23:43 AM »
Hollow Knight is hard.

I'm enjoying it, and I do a happy dance every time I reach a bench, but damn.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #407 on: March 21, 2020, 02:39:38 AM »

The Last of Us (Remastered). Character-driven survival horror. I've played through 3 times. There's really no incentive to do so besides that it is a perfect game.

Everything else is secondary.

OK, that's a little dramatic, but that's a can't-miss for most gamers.

AAA Must-Haves (For people with my taste, at least):

Horizon Zero Dawn is a great open-world action RPG with a killer story and decent sense of pacing. Make sure you get the complete game to get the Frozen Wilds DLC, which adds a little more challenge, but is awesome.

God of War: Seriously epic combat. It has RPG elements with some interesting choices re: skill trees, but the combat is incredibly satisfying, beat 'em up.

Nier: Automata: A smaller world where you play an Android trying to restore Earth for humans to come back post-robot apocalypse. Again, an action RPG with satisfying combat that perfectly mixes distance and up-close combat. Great for sci-fi fans.

Persona 5: Do you know the MegaTen games? This is a great one, a turn-based RPG/high school social sim. Very long, but awesome if you like this type of game. There's a Royal version out now that has another playable character and dungeon. Might as well.

From what I gather, Sam is much better at games than I am. All of the above are at a mild-to-moderate difficulty level. Leveling up is just right to progress fairly smoothly through the game with not too many deaths. God of War has some really fun challenges that had me pulling my hair (what little I have) out, but were worth it. With that said, I see Sam recommending Bloodborne. If you like challenging, and I mean really challenging, go for it. I didn't finish it. I had it about a week - when I was buying physical games - then traded it back in at Game Stop toward something else.

I don't have lots of experience with the indie games, but I'd suggest browsing them. Lots of 2D side-scrolling challenges, some pretty artsy stuff as well. Then, the walking sims with all story and no death.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #408 on: March 21, 2020, 03:37:59 PM »
Definitely think Persona 5 is well worth a playthrough, though at this point I may say wait for the re-make version with the new character and stuff coming out at some point since it's long. Would recommend the Yakuza games and Judgement (haven't played this myself, but I do have it), Witcher 3 as well. Nier very cool too. The Hitman games if you're looking for something stealth and fun, but also replayble. Plus a bunch of downloadable things.

FLY would advise staying away from all Naughty Dog games post-Jak Racing.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #409 on: March 21, 2020, 04:03:30 PM »
From what I gather, Sam is much better at games than I am. All of the above are at a mild-to-moderate difficulty level. Leveling up is just right to progress fairly smoothly through the game with not too many deaths. God of War has some really fun challenges that had me pulling my hair (what little I have) out, but were worth it. With that said, I see Sam recommending Bloodborne. If you like challenging, and I mean really challenging, go for it. I didn't finish it. I had it about a week - when I was buying physical games - then traded it back in at Game Stop toward something else.
I still don't think the Soulsborne games are as hard as much as as they require persistence and patience. I guess I consider myself an above average gamer but I also hang around many gamers that are much better than me, always play on hard, 100% games, or get highly ranked on competitive shooters. I'm middling in my group so I don't consider myself that great of a gamer.

I bounced off of Divinity: Original Sin II for the moment. I got into the third major area and I'm finding the combat kinda a slog which is a shame because I loved the combat in the first game. I think I might take a week or two off and then return and see if I can power through the last 30 hours.

Haven't quite decided on what I'll land on next. I'm thinking maybe go back and play some old favorites or give my Nintendo Switch some love (I still have Luigi's Mansion 3 to beat as well as a handful of indie games). Also have XBOX Game Pass for PC until June so I should maybe take advantage for that.

love