Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75742 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #770 on: September 23, 2020, 07:51:19 PM »
I need to put more time in to Pyre and Hades, but I'm still not sure where I'm falling on it (specifically in Switch handheld mode, where the art style, while beautiful, feels like it gets in the way of actually seeing things), though positive. Just not sure how positive. Do like it better than Transistor so far, I think, but Bastion is also fantastic.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #771 on: September 23, 2020, 08:18:01 PM »
I'm about 2/3rds through Pyre and while it's very good I think it's kinda overlong so I kinda fell off it. I will probably double back and try to finish it.

I am trying to finish Kentucky Route Zero in-between sessions of Crusader Kings III. Also some odd Endless Space 2 which I'm enjoying a lot as my 4x of choice right now. I want to give Endless Legends a try as it's got that hexy, hexy grid based combat I adore but in a more atypical fantasy setting.

I tried some Spiritfarer but the writing doesn't jell with the chill vibes so I'm dropping it. Sorta a 2D platformer Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing but with some oddly spiteful writing.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #772 on: September 24, 2020, 04:05:40 PM »
I picked up CKIII on Steam so I could play on Linux with another go as King Duncan. Not much notable happened during his reign except that I had a bastard daughter I decided to legitimize. King Duncan died so Duncan II took over and people do not like me at all. I'm lustful and gay and have one of my knights as my lover. Also, that bastard daughter my dad had? Turns out she wants the crown and so do most of my vassals. So they're gunning for me. I think maybe a quick war will give me some early gold for a feast. Big mistake. Lose that war, people get more pissed, strip me of some of my authority.

Oh well, spend some time regrouping, gaining back resources, finally get enough money for a feast so I throw a big party and it turns out the only person who gains any opinion of me is my heir son. Not great, but hey, maybe I can throw him some land down the line. Less than a year after my feast, my son and heir is murdered! So I do what any grieving father wound do: start another war. This one is going bad, I'm still in the middle of it, and the worst thing is that my lover is wounded in battle. Hope he ends up okay.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #773 on: September 28, 2020, 09:54:31 AM »
Finished up Assassin's Creed Revelations yesterday. Decided to buy Portal 2 for PS3. I've not played Portal 1 but that one seemed difficult to get. It and finishing the two PSP God of War ports that came with my system bundle when I bought it like 8 years ago are probably going to be about the end for my PS3 gaming. Apparently there is an extended portal universe game on the Switch...some sort of bridge construction thing. I'll have to decide about that after Portal.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #774 on: September 28, 2020, 06:58:07 PM »
Portal 2 is really fun puzzle solving. Can get frustrating a bit near the end though.

I've started playing Resident Evil 7 and the not subtle at all references to The Evil Dead and Texas Chainsaw Massacre are making me happy. Wonder what other films the game will reference.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #775 on: September 28, 2020, 07:16:02 PM »
Thought about DLing it on GamePass for Halloween, or picking up a used one for PSVR, but I think it'll be too scary for me either way.

Didn't realize that bridge game was part of the Portal universe in a significant way. That bridge constructor franchise is one that I thought just picked up licenses instead of doing DL or something, pretty sure they're doing a Walking Dead one soon.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #776 on: September 28, 2020, 08:57:16 PM »
Thought about DLing it on GamePass for Halloween, or picking up a used one for PSVR, but I think it'll be too scary for me either way.
It is very scary. Can't imagine doing it in VR.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #777 on: September 30, 2020, 07:29:02 AM »
Spelunky 2 is a delight. So far it's probably more challenging that it's predecessor and I'm loving a lot of the new additions. I'm glad it's this hard because that means I've got lots of hours to put into it. The original Spelunky is my favorite game and this has the potential to surpass it.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #778 on: October 01, 2020, 12:52:19 AM »
The last few months, I've formed kind of a toxic relationship with gaming, especially with Smash, so I'm doing a bit of reset and stepping away from it for a little. I wonder if you all might offer me perspectives as I go forward, as I'd still like to play some video games. Of course, if you don't want to share, obviously don't, but I'm hoping some people can help me navigate this with some info. I'm not judging anyone, your approach is your approach.

How many hours a week do you spend gaming?
Do you watch streams of other people gaming when you're not gaming, yourself?
Does gaming enter your thoughts with much frequency when you're not gaming?

For me, I don't think my hours seem that high to the average person who games as a primary hobby, around 10 hours per week. I started watching more streams and thinking about it more over the quarantine, so it's become a bit of an obsession, and that's what has worried me. I'm not trying to assess if anyone is a compulsive gamer, more I'm wondering if anyone feels that they can play a lot, watch a lot of online gaming, think about it a lot, and still have a healthy relationship with it. I'm trying to see how you all make gaming work for you. For me, it's made me feel bad a lot lately. Even Animal Crossing has made me feel that way because I feel like if I don't check it regularly, I'm not maximizing my experience with the game, and maybe it shouldn't but it does bother me. I think that's part of my chemistry, my makeup as a person, and it makes something as compelling, and yes, addicting, as a video game seem a little like playing with fire for me. But I don't want to just not play them, because I think there's so much imagination, innovation, and fun in the games. I just haven't been having fun lately.

Anyway, anything you're willing to share would be appreciated. I have some ideas of how to approach this issue, but as usual, I solicit info and POV's from here because they're usually very solid and thoughtful.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #779 on: October 01, 2020, 01:55:41 AM »
How many hours a week do you spend gaming?

Confidently at least 10 hours a week. It changes but can also go up to 15+. That's as a married father of 1.

Do you watch streams of other people gaming when you're not gaming, yourself?

I don't watch live streams but i do often watch Youtube clips of a few gamers.

Does gaming enter your thoughts with much frequency when you're not gaming?

For sure. "I want to play this game... When can i play this game? Maybe this afternoon if all goes well". Listening to multiple gaming podcasts doesn't help in this regard.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:00:09 AM by The Deer Hunter »