Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75719 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #780 on: October 01, 2020, 05:43:46 AM »
Before Animal Crossing released I could go weeks without any video games but then when I'd get a game like Fire Emblem I might put in 20 hours a week. Animal Crossing now has a baseline of like 5 hours a week and more recently I've gotten a bit back into things so that 10 is probably a baseline and then like with finishing up Assassin's Creed I was maybe putting in an extra 10 on weekends for a couple weeks.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #781 on: October 01, 2020, 06:41:19 AM »
On a normal week I'd probably hit somewhere between 5 and 10 hours playing. More when I've just started a new game that I really like (most recently, Hades last night, which I'm already anticipating going back to and I think influenced my dreams last night?). If the game hooks me I'll go on that 10-15 hr schedule until I finish it or am finished with it, if you know what I mean.

I don't watch streams of players either live.or after the fact, but I do watch youtube video essays for probably around 2 hours of the day overall. About half to 3/5ths of those are about games in some way, so I'd say they still form a large part of my not-playing time.

Finally, I guess I only really think about games a lot when I'm in that honeymoon phase with one. Since my job right now consists of reading a bunch of film theory, I'm usually spending my time thinking about that or, honestly, trying not to think about very much at all.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #782 on: October 01, 2020, 07:19:31 AM »
I probably play about 20 hours a week right now. It's my primary hobby at the moment so I don't feel bad about it.

I watch some streamers but not very many. I do watch a lot of YouTube videos though.

I think about games a decent amount I suppose. I think about a lot of stuff though so I'm not too worried about it.

I felt guilty at once point in my life but honestly if you enjoy it and it's not hurting you or others then it's a net positive in my book.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #783 on: October 01, 2020, 07:22:53 AM »
Would imagine it varies for me. Not counting Clash (which I'll likely play 30 minutes to 2 hours a day, depending on how much I'm losing or what new events are going on, plus the matches are five mins max and it's on my phone), I mostly will do 1 to maybe 2 hours before bed. When something new comes out that will go up, like with Spelunky 2 I'd play that for an hour or so after the gym and before switching to Switch for the hour I'm in bed trying to fall asleep, but with work being so heavy lately my days only allow so much time.

Sunday: Gym AM/Laundry/getting pissed off at my fantasy team or the Texans or my disgusting cold streak on DraftKings. At this point I will squeeze in some Switch time or Clash.

M/Tu/W: Work from 830-630, Gym from 7-830, free hour, Switch at bed.

Thurs: Work schedule is the same, figure I can go to the theater after that.

Friday: Pretty much M/Tu/W again, but maybe I'll stay up late and watch a film instead of playing.

Sat: All over the place, I'd still estimate maybe 2 hours max.

Only gaming stuff I watch is a QuickLook that's interesting to me, now that my GiantBomb Roku app is completely boned. I do listen to Giantbombcast and Giantbeastcast when they come out, but that's that. I do consider games at times, but usually have other things to focus on, I guess.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #784 on: October 01, 2020, 02:24:17 PM »
Lots of interesting responses...I’m assuming these schedules all work for you, then?

It’s good to see a dad chime in. I think possibly the rest are childless at this time(?).

I hear you Bondo on a special game taking up more time. Those don’t come THAT often for me, what about you? Even Breath of the Wild and Odyssey, my #2 and #3 Switch games didn’t get more than an average 1.5 hours a day, only Fire Emblem got above that. Before FE, it was Persona 5 in 2018 and Horizon a couple of playthroughs.

My big downfall I think has been multiplayer competitive games. As to Sam’s point, rather than doing me harm, I just think certain ones and I don’t mix. However, I also wonder if gaming is keeping me from other things that could be better for me...I have no definitive answer here. I like them but feel the need to better manage them, too.

I’ll pick it back up during break with the Mario anniversary games and see how that goes.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #785 on: October 01, 2020, 05:59:55 PM »
No kids. If we weren't in lockdown I would be going out in the evenings most nights but instead gaming has helped fill up the time. I imagine when/if things return to normal my videogaming time will go down. My time also comes in waves. Certain times I don't feel like playing anything and might go a month or two barely touching a game but this year has been pretty steady since I've been stuck at home so much.

My friendgroup of games has entered their 30s and I think about half of us just decided that we're too old for competitive games at a serious level. I think if you have a lot of aggression issues playing those kinds of games it can just get you worked up over nothing. I decided that I want to relax when I play a game. That doesn't mean it can't be challenging, I just don't want that competitive pressure on me anymore. I find gaming a lot more relaxing these days now because of that.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #786 on: October 01, 2020, 06:40:49 PM »
I think I aged out of competitive gaming about 15 years ago, LOL. I couldn't even stay motivated to do multiplayer gaming in Animal Crossing. Not even sure why I'm paying Nintendo $5 a month really...to be able to but not play NES/SNES games?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #787 on: October 02, 2020, 11:46:04 PM »
Trying to finish a run of Hades to see the end of the story and I wonder if they made the final boss harder because boy is it giving me a lot more difficulty this time around. But I'm also experimenting more with builds I didn't try before so maybe I'm making inferior choices.

I only get a bit of Spelunky 2 time in every day but it still has that super satisfying, low to the ground time for each run making it easy to do just a few and feel satisfied. I think a lot of rogulikes are getting longer and longer and this like the original realizes a good run doesn't have to take that long.

Still playing Crusader Kings III which continues to give the more I plumb it's depths and discover new systems and begin to understand the goofy succession system and how to manipulate it. I've been streaming my run to unite Ireland and I'll link the archives here eventually. I've also got a run where I'm trying to do the same with Scotland. I'm looking forward to diving into the areas where I'm less familiar with the cultures side the map spans over into the middle of China.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #788 on: October 03, 2020, 07:42:51 AM »
Had a run in Hades last night, first time with the fist weapons, in which I beat the first boss for the second time ever and the second boss for the first time ever, after seeing it for the first time ever. Pretty wild run. The game is super freaking fun.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #789 on: October 03, 2020, 02:35:32 PM »
Got to the final boss last night for the first time, beating 1 and 2 pretty easy though 3 still giving me a lot of trouble unless I'm using the best weapons (spear or shield). Perhaps FLY will fully unleash his thoughts tonight as one of the resident Mr. Rougelike/Mr. Rougelites of the board.

love