love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 75686 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #880 on: January 04, 2021, 11:44:10 AM »
My Top 7 Games of 2020
(words and images at link above)

7. Signs of the Sojourner
6. Hades
5. Legends of Runeterra
4. Umurangi Generation
3. Crusader Kings III
2. Kentucky Route Zero
1. Speunky 2

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #881 on: January 07, 2021, 09:56:03 PM »
I'm going to knock down two games I thought were impossible previously, because I think they're great, and I think I can get gud enough to beat them.

1. Celeste - I'm already to Chapter 5. Last time I retired at the beginning of Chapter 3.
2. Hollow Knight - After testing out some platformers and coming to the understanding that the design of this game and its levels is so good, just challenging, but not impossible, well, time to figure it out.

I'm also experimenting with some more chillout games, got a few before the sale:
Flower
Fire Watch
Gris
Kind Words
Eufloria
ABZU

Should be fun plug-and-plays this coming weekend, when I'm not watching or writing about movies.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #882 on: January 07, 2021, 10:22:19 PM »
Celeste has an assist mode if you find you need help getting to the end.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #883 on: January 08, 2021, 06:28:49 AM »
Firewatch is pretty fun.

I started FFIX again, even though I should have started FFVIII smdh

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #884 on: January 08, 2021, 07:22:41 PM »
Might be my last video game update for a while:

Prey (2016) got me on a immersive sim kick so I replayed Dishonored and Dishonored 2 again and boy howdy are those games still amazing. Dishonored suffers from being in the Unreal engine but the art design helps it not age as poorly. Dishonored 2, though? Turn that sucker up to ultra and it looks like a game that came out this year. Both have impeccable level design although they really ratchet things up with the second game. This is probably the closest we'll get to a proper modern Thief experience.

Played Umurangi Generation as the people over at Waypoint had positive things to say and I think it's excellent. Probably both the best Cyberpunk game of 2020 and the best 2020 game about 2020. It's an interesting metaphor for our times and hits on a lot of the social unrest going on in our world right now. There's not a lot mechanically to it, you are mostly going around taking photographs in a space making it just a step above a walking simulator, but I don't consider that a bad things. Highly recommend if you are looking for something you can get through in an afternoon.

Also picked up Hunt: Showdown and have been playing that online competitively with friends. I haven't had that competitive drive in a while but this is a fantastic and unique game where you hunt monsters down on an open-ended map while other groups of players also hunt the same monsters and you compete to find them, kill them, and then also kill any other groups of hunters you come across. It's easy to die, although you can be revived with reduced health, making for tense battles where a thirty minute run can end in a blaze of glory or a flash of shame. The lows can be pretty low and you've gotta take the losses in stride but those highs are fantastic and I've already had some memorable moments sneaking up on team and sniping them from a distance or rushing someone with a machete who wasn't expecting it. It's a blast to play but you've got to have a certain disposition for it.

Also have been dipping back into 2020's GOTY Spelunky 2 while I listen to podcasts. Still a lot to unearth there.

I think except for playing Hunt: Showdown with friends or playing Spleunky 2 while listening to podcasts I'm taking a break from games for a while. This is usually the slow time of year and I'd rather focus on my other interests right now.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #885 on: January 08, 2021, 10:16:16 PM »
Tried Maneater for about 10 minutes but I was experiencing hardcore motion sickness. My wife got me some wristbands for that but I didn't bother because it didn't seem that fun anyway.

Also downloaded Bugsnax and Shadow of the Tomb Raider (tho I still have Rise of the Tomb Raider waiting to be played).

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #886 on: January 09, 2021, 12:56:08 AM »
Celeste has an assist mode if you find you need help getting to the end.

Why you condescending, little...  ;) :P

I don't thiiiiink I'll have to go that route, but won't lie, I did get stuck in a room in the fourth chapter and looked at a YouTube video to figure it out.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #887 on: January 09, 2021, 08:12:03 AM »
I didn't mean it that way. It's a hard game and I wouldn't shame anyone who used the assist mode.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #888 on: January 09, 2021, 08:26:14 PM »
I know, just playing around. I agree it is hard! But really good. I’m in a place where just getting through a few rooms feels good.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #889 on: January 09, 2021, 09:04:46 PM »
I don't mind it being as hard as it is because the story is about doing hard things that seem insurmountable.