Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions  (Read 26278 times)

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
Re: Random Movie Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #1050 on: November 18, 2019, 04:39:56 PM »
I don't think The Birds qualifies with what you're looking for, but I love The Birds so I didn't want to exclude it.

The Birds is in my top 2 or 3 Hitchcock films.

San Andreas (2015) is better than you think thanks to excellent effects and The Rock in maximum movie star mode.

I've seen this and really enjoy it.

The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

Added to the list! How does The Towering Inferno compare to this list? Seems like a similar movie.

Deepwater Horizon (2016)

Also seen this and really enjoy it. I think it was 3rd in my top 10 for that year.

The Day After Tomorrow (2004) has good disaster scenes, but the story is bad. That still makes it better than 2012, which is just as bad a story but with terrible effects.

This is one of my guilty pleasures for sure.

Maybe The Impossible (2012)

Added!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1051 on: November 18, 2019, 04:55:03 PM »
The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

Added to the list! How does The Towering Inferno compare to this list? Seems like a similar movie.
I liked Inferno a LOT less than most. So much so that I wondered if I was just not in the mood at the time. It was everything bad about 70s disaster films with nothing to make it special.

I will add that once you've seen Poseidon Adventure, I've written extensively about it and will share those links, Sandy also likes it a lot, and there's a review by pixote that I'll link which destroys most of the good we have to say about the film.

Maybe The Impossible (2012)

Added!
Been curious about seeing this one again now that one of its co-stars is a major player in the MCU.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #1052 on: November 18, 2019, 05:03:24 PM »
What are some movies similar to Danteís Peak and Volcano? I love me some disaster movies. I think Iíve seen most of them but Iím sure thereís a few more out there. Twister is the next one on my list.

The Core (2003)
The various Airport movies from the 70s and 80s
Earthquake (1974)
The Swarm (1978)
Krakatoa, East of Java (1968)

Going earlier you could try When World's Collide (1951)

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #1053 on: Yesterday at 02:30:49 AM »
I liked Inferno a LOT less than most. So much so that I wondered if I was just not in the mood at the time. It was everything bad about 70s disaster films with nothing to make it special.

I will add that once you've seen Poseidon Adventure, I've written extensively about it and will share those links, Sandy also likes it a lot, and there's a review by pixote that I'll link which destroys most of the good we have to say about the film.

I'll have to have Poseidon Adventure to the top of my list after Twister.

The Core (2003)
The various Airport movies from the 70s and 80s
Earthquake (1974)
The Swarm (1978)
Krakatoa, East of Java (1968)

The Core is another one i need to get to. I'm also interested in The Swarm since it was an early Film Sack episode. Although that's a podcast about bad movies and The Swarm has an 11% so i don't think I'm going to rush that one!