Author Topic: 2019 Movie-Watching Goals  (Read 4325 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
2019 Movie-Watching Goals
« on: January 02, 2019, 11:29:05 AM »
A few of my movie-watching goals for the year:

I splurged on the Criterion Bergman box-set so I'm planning on watching many. Realistically I'm going to aim for the 12 I'm most interested in. One a month.

After watching Funny Face and realizing how surprisingly few Audrey Hepburn films I've seen, I'm going to fill in those gaps.

I just got Kanopy, thanks to finally getting a Los Angeles library card, so Frederick Wiseman's filmography is available. The run times are daunting, but I'm hoping to watch at least three or four I'm most curious about.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: 2019 Movie-Watching Goals
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 11:35:37 AM »
I feel like the past two years of my movie watching have been affected greatly from my knee surgeries (tore my ACL in each year :(). And I mean current releases. I missed so many opportunities early in the year 2017 and late in the year 2018 to make it out to movies in the theaters, and I hope to do a whole lot better this year to feel better about my end of year list.

So I guess my movie-watching goal is to stay healthy in 2019!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »
I have 30 more films to get through in the Bergman box... if I can keep up my current pace, that's an attainable goal for the year. However, I imagine William will require more and more attention this year so maybe not. I'm in no rush, though.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 04:56:49 PM »
To be better prepared for the filmspots, for 2018 and 2019, I have multiple of the leading favourites still to watch for 2018s.
Continue doing the Top 100 club
Join in most of the month clubs (Noir, musicals, etc)
Keep up with seeing about 200 features for the year.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 05:06:19 PM »
I basically sat out March-December in going to the theatre so I similarly am behind for the Filmspots. Since some of the things I was prioritizing over film are subsiding I'm hoping to stay ahead this year.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 01:01:41 AM »
My goal is more or less the same every year. If I find one top 25 worthy film I'm happy... even if it's one I've seen before but it only just now elevated to that level.

jswysin

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 01:59:49 PM »
1. See the rest of the AFI Top 100 (only 4 left)
2a. See the rest of the Best Picture winners (only 6 left)
2b. See as many of the Best Picture nominees (for a massive Letterboxd ranking I'm working on)
3. Watch more foreign films (my focus on 1 and 2 over the last year or so has narrowed my worldview)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 02:09:46 AM »
A few -

To properly track what I watch
to get back into participating in the Top 100 Club
to revise my Top 100 films which I haven't seriously looked at in the last year years. Need to try to remember what I should add since I last modified it and there are many that maybe there for the wrong reasons. I realize that after a recent rewatch of Full Metal Jacket, I think my love for Kubrick is distorting my view. It should be removed.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 06:26:03 AM »
  • Firstly, I have a couple of loose ends here on the Forum which I want to tie up properly!
  • Secondly, I decided to do a blindspot challenge, and watch 5 movies each from 5 unwatched directors:
    • Anthony Mann
    • Seijun Suzuki
    • Max Ophüls
    • John Carpenter
    • Paul Morrissey

There is a list on Letterboxd of the titles that I will try to see.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »
Why Paul Morrissey?

love