love

Author Topic: 2019 Movie-Watching Goals  (Read 4324 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: 2019 Movie-Watching Goals
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 09:54:37 AM »
All westerns for Mann (and not even his best, The Furies)? You got something against noir? At the very least, Raw Deal is a must-see.

Also, Yumeji is the final part of the trilogy, so you may want to swap that out for Zigeunerweisen. Or Fighting Elegy, which is (IMHO) a much better film.

Oh, and Halloween is a big oversight for Carpenter.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 03:52:19 PM »
Why Paul Morrissey?
The Smiths first album had a picture from Flesh on it's cover, and as a consequence Morrissey has been a note in the margin ever since. The Andy Warhol connection also is a contributing factor.

All westerns for Mann (and not even his best, The Furies)? You got something against noir? At the very least, Raw Deal is a must-see.

Also, Yumeji is the final part of the trilogy, so you may want to swap that out for Zigeunerweisen. Or Fighting Elegy, which is (IMHO) a much better film.

Oh, and Halloween is a big oversight for Carpenter.
To go all in on James Stewart on horseback I thought was a funny angle on Mann. And you are right about me not being a very big noir fan for that matter. I wasn't aware of that Yumeji was a part of a trilogy, but i also have Everything Goes Wrong available so I will swop between these two. Finally, I think that I'll get to Halloween sooner or later anyway (The Top 100 Club!). I am a little curious which Carpenter movie you would substitute? The Fog?

Thank you both for the input. It is much appreciated! :)
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 04:16:35 PM »
Write a first draft of that Kiarostami book now that 24 Frames is coming to home video.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 04:47:44 PM »
I am a little curious which Carpenter movie you would substitute? The Fog?

I haven't seen The Fog, but yeah, probably. (haven't seen They Live, either)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 05:40:01 PM »
My main goal is to get through my Women and African-American Pioneers box sets.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 09:14:46 PM »
Sitting here in early February, 44 films into my year with an even 22/22 split, I'm thinking I might have to go for gender parity on the year. Not sure if I'll be able to keep it up (though the aforementioned box-set will help) because the real output is obviously not parity yet so the films I feel I have to keep up with for the broader film conversation will skew male and I'll have to dig increasingly obscure. I guess I will be to films directed by women what 1SO is to "Golden Age" cinema.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 10:49:13 PM »
After January:

Four Hepburn films:

Funny Face
Sabrina
Roman Holiday
Love in the Afternoon

And Part One of Fanny and Alexander, which I loved, but aggravatingly haven't had time to continue watching.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 12:33:15 AM »
I am a little curious which Carpenter movie you would substitute? The Fog?

I haven't seen The Fog, but yeah, probably. (haven't seen They Live, either)

The Fog is kinda awful.  They Live is kinda great.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 09:48:17 AM »
My main goal is to simply watch more films, period. However, if I were to break it down more, I would add...

• 1. Continue with this monthly challenge thing that I've been doing for almost 2 years now. Obviously, the final goal of this is, like I said above, to watch more films.
  • 2. Obviously related to the above, try to keep an average of 15 films per month, at least.
  • 3. During the last two years, I've been able to catch up with some notable classics, but there are still a lot I haven't seen (some notable blind spots are Seven Samurai and Tarkovsky)
  • 4. Continue/finish the MCU, if possible before Avengers: Endgame? Still have half of the films to watch.
  • 5. Continue/finish the James Bond series. Still have the Moore's, both Dalton's, and one Connery left to see.
  • 6. Continue/finish the IMDb Top 250 list. I don't hold the list in very high regard, but I do think it's a good starting point for any cinephile.

That's pretty much it, but again, it all boils down to watching more films.

valmz

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »
1. Enjoy
2. Continue to practice and improve on actively engage with what I watch so that I can both get the most out of each film and get better at getting the most out of each film
3. Don't take #2 so seriously that it messes with #1