Author Topic: Pioneers: African-American Cinema  (Read 3863 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: Pioneers: African-American Cinema
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 08:54:49 PM »
Because owning a gun is so dramatically increasing the danger to yourself and others as to be active malice.

Under what standard?  Malice is an old common law standard that helps differentiate flavors of murder, but is hardly the basis for mere possession of a weapon, especially if you come from areas where rampant crime and violence with and because of the police.  I don't advocate to arm everyone, but I also don't blame those who have to reside in some of those neighborhoods.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Pioneers: African-American Cinema
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2020, 09:39:59 PM »
I mean, I'm not actually proposing that it be illegal to own a gun (well, I mean, I would propose that), I was making a moral statement. It is a film that on one hand suggests that if she went for a life of dancing and alcohol and perhaps prostitution it would be unforgivable sin, but on the other hand the guy who accidentally shoots his wife should be forgiven. I'm only saying owning a gun is at least as immoral as these other things it condemns that I wouldn't call immoral.

Dirty Gertie from Harlem USA

That's a yikes from me. Gertie is a burlesque dancer who flees Harlem to a Caribbean island under some manner of pressure. Her presence excites the town and captures the ire of the local minister. The film gives him a bit of the Claude Frollo treatment, but a second film spent contemplating whether female independence is sinful. But I just don't think I can tolerate a film that features the last line "I killed her because I loved her." Like no, you don't give that line the last word on the morality of the film.

Anyway, that wraps up this marathon.