Author Topic: Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2019  (Read 17231 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2019
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2019, 11:50:39 PM »
The Tingler is my lowest ranked Castle film. Betrayed is my favorite... and in my top 250.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2019, 01:08:25 AM »
Freaks (1932) Extremely unsettling, but full of good performances and a nice pace for the most part. Unfortunately, you feel the studio cuts in the way the climax abruptly ends, and with the tacked-on ending. Still, I really enjoyed it.

So the Archive.org entry was the full film?

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »
Freaks (1932) Extremely unsettling, but full of good performances and a nice pace for the most part. Unfortunately, you feel the studio cuts in the way the climax abruptly ends, and with the tacked-on ending. Still, I really enjoyed it.

So the Archive.org entry was the full film?

I didn't see it whole because I think it didn't have captions. English is not my first language, so I tend to prefer watching films with captions/subtitles. I found it elsewhere  :-X But thanks anyway.

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2019, 08:19:54 PM »
This was April's tally...

A film with the number 4 (Four, Fourth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): The Four of the Apocalypse...
A film with a title that starts with the letters G or H: The Hateful Eight
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #4 (i.e. 14, 24, 42): Stalker (#194)
A film from the 1930s: Freaks
A drama: Cold War
A B-movie: The Tingler
A Biblical film: Risen
A film from Iran (Iran Independence, April 1): Persepolis
A film featuring robots prominently (Nat'l Robotics Week, April 6-14): Avengers: Age of Ultron
A film based on a book/novel (Nat'l Library Week, April 7-13): Colossus: The Forbin Project
A film prominently featuring siblings (Siblings Day, April 10): Three Identical Strangers
A film set in the American Revolutionary War (Patriots' Day, April 15): 1776
A film mostly set on a boat (Titanic Remembrance Day, April 15): Lifeboat
A film from Harold Lloyd (born April 20): Safety Last!
A film about the environment or related themes (Earth Day, April 22): The Happening

Finished last night in the nick of time with 1776.

The best from the month? There were a lot of good films in that bunch, but probably Stalker or Freaks

The worst? Hard to compete with The Happening, although I won't deny the fact that it was an *interesting* watch.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2019, 10:37:04 PM »
This was April's tally...
Having not looked at the categories I have little faith that I did much this month.

A film with the number 4 (Four, Fourth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): not even a film with "for" in it
A film with a title that starts with the letters G or H: Headshot (2011)
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #4 (i.e. 14, 24, 42): The Lion King (#47) obv. a re-watch
A film from the 1930s: Thirteen Hours by Air (1936)
A drama: The Pied Piper
A B-movie: Hot Tub Time Machine
A Biblical film: ---
A film from Iran (Iran Independence, April 1): ---
A film featuring robots prominently (Nat'l Robotics Week, April 6-14): ---
A film based on a book/novel (Nat'l Library Week, April 7-13): The Razor's Edge
A film prominently featuring siblings (Siblings Day, April 10): The Bad Sister
A film set in the American Revolutionary War (Patriots' Day, April 15): ---
A film mostly set on a boat (Titanic Remembrance Day, April 15): if only this was a Plane
A film from Harold Lloyd (born April 20): ---
A film about the environment or related themes (Earth Day, April 22): ---

weak

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2019, 10:32:38 AM »
OP is edited, but here are the May categories anyway...

A film with the number 5 (Five, Fifth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel):
A film with a title that starts with the letters I or J:
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #5 (i.e. 15, 25, 54): (see list here)
A film from the 1940s:
A fantasy film:
A film with an animal in its title:
A film mostly set in space (Space Day, first Friday of May):
A film based on a comic book (Comic Book Day, May 4):
A film with prominent Muslim characters (Ramadan, starts May 5):
A film from Mexico (Cinco de Mayo):
A film from Orson Welles (born May 6):
A film prominently featuring mothers (Mother's Day, May 12):
A film that won either the Palme d'Or or the Grand Prix at Cannes (May 14-25):
A film set in a museum or featuring them prominently (Int'l Museum Day, May 18):
A war film (Memorial Day, May 27):

I might go on an MCU mini-binge; I had planned to watch several of their films anyway as "freebies", just to see if I could catch up with everyone. Lucky for me, many of the categories I had already come up with line up with the MCU films I need to see (space = GotG Vol. 2, IMDb ranking = Infinity War, fantasy = Thor: Ragnarok?, War film = Civil War, Infinity War, etc.) If anything, I only tweaked one or two categories to suit my needs  :D  (added the animal title, and didn't know there was a Comic Book Day), but what the hell, it's my party.

As usual, recs are welcome.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2019, 11:02:49 AM »
My recs:

A film with the number 5 (Five, Fifth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): 5 Centimeters per Second*
A film with a title that starts with the letters I or J: Imitation of Life
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #5 (i.e. 15, 25, 54): (see list here) Nights of Cabiria
A film from the 1940s: Nightmare Alley
A fantasy film: Xanadu
A film with an animal in its title: The Black Stallion
A film mostly set in space (Space Day, first Friday of May): 2001: A Space Odyssey
A film based on a comic book (Comic Book Day, May 4): American Splendor*
A film with prominent Muslim characters (Ramadan, starts May 5): A Moment of Innocence
A film from Mexico (Cinco de Mayo): The Exterminating Angel
A film from Orson Welles (born May 6): The Trial
A film prominently featuring mothers (Mother's Day, May 12): All About My Mother
A film that won either the Palme d'Or or the Grand Prix at Cannes (May 14-25): Secrets & Lies
A film set in a museum or featuring them prominently (Int'l Museum Day, May 18): Face (Visage)
A war film (Memorial Day, May 27): Devils on the Doorstep

Again, all from my top 250 except *. Assuming you've probably seen 2001 (and also Alien), I'll say Solaris as an alternate. But... I mean the Soderbergh remake, not the more celebrated Tarkovsky original.

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2019, 02:16:32 PM »
My recs:

A film with the number 5 (Five, Fifth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): 5 Centimeters per Second*
A film with a title that starts with the letters I or J: Imitation of Life
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #5 (i.e. 15, 25, 54): (see list here) Nights of Cabiria
A film from the 1940s: Nightmare Alley
A fantasy film: Xanadu
A film with an animal in its title: The Black Stallion
A film mostly set in space (Space Day, first Friday of May): 2001: A Space Odyssey
A film based on a comic book (Comic Book Day, May 4): American Splendor*
A film with prominent Muslim characters (Ramadan, starts May 5): A Moment of Innocence
A film from Mexico (Cinco de Mayo): The Exterminating Angel
A film from Orson Welles (born May 6): The Trial
A film prominently featuring mothers (Mother's Day, May 12): All About My Mother
A film that won either the Palme d'Or or the Grand Prix at Cannes (May 14-25): Secrets & Lies
A film set in a museum or featuring them prominently (Int'l Museum Day, May 18): Face (Visage)
A war film (Memorial Day, May 27): Devils on the Doorstep

Again, all from my top 250 except *. Assuming you've probably seen 2001 (and also Alien), I'll say Solaris as an alternate. But... I mean the Soderbergh remake, not the more celebrated Tarkovsky original.

Yeah, I've seen 2001 (and Alien). I have both Solaris on my "to watch" list, but thanks for reminding me. Any particular reason to favor Soderbergh's version? Do you like Tarkovsky's?

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2019, 02:30:46 PM »
I am lukewarm on Tarkovsky's, though I should probably give it a fresh look. My notes from my second viewing in 2005:

So I decided to give it another shot. I still like Soderbergh’s version better. Tark wastes too much time, and a lot of it just looks cheap. I’m sure he did the best he could with what he had, but that doesn’t make it any better. Soderbergh’s is also apparently more faithful to the source material, though I’ve never read it. The two versions have slightly different endings, but I think I like them both equally. I would say that this film is better than I previously gave it credit for, but again… I prefer the tighter, modern adaptation. Rating: 7/10

It wasn't long after this that I got into Tsai and Tarr (not to mention other Tarkovsky films), so I'm guessing that I'd find the "wasting too much time" more agreeable now.

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2019, 03:00:10 PM »
I am lukewarm on Tarkovsky's, though I should probably give it a fresh look. My notes from my second viewing in 2005:

So I decided to give it another shot. I still like Soderbergh’s version better. Tark wastes too much time, and a lot of it just looks cheap. I’m sure he did the best he could with what he had, but that doesn’t make it any better. Soderbergh’s is also apparently more faithful to the source material, though I’ve never read it. The two versions have slightly different endings, but I think I like them both equally. I would say that this film is better than I previously gave it credit for, but again… I prefer the tighter, modern adaptation. Rating: 7/10

It wasn't long after this that I got into Tsai and Tarr (not to mention other Tarkovsky films), so I'm guessing that I'd find the "wasting too much time" more agreeable now.

I'll probably end up seeing both, eventually. Thanks for the recs.