love

Author Topic: Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2019  (Read 17234 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2019
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2019, 04:55:41 PM »
A film with the number 4 (Four, Fourth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
A film with a title that starts with the letters G or H: Hellboy (2004)
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #4 (i.e. 14, 24, 42): (see list here) Rear Window #44 so why not!
A film from the 1930s: City Girl (1930)
A drama: Kramer Vs. Kramer
A B-movie: Lone Wolf McQuade
A Biblical film: The Prince of Egypt
A film from Iran (Iran Independence, April 1): Salaam Cinema
A film featuring robots prominently (Nat'l Robotics Week, April 6-14): Wall-E
A film based on a book/novel (Nat'l Library Week, April 7-13): Blade Runner
A film prominently featuring siblings (Siblings Day, April 10): Days of Heaven
A film set in the American Revolutionary War (Patriots' Day, April 15): The Patriot I guess... You should watch the TV show John Adams instead, though.
A film mostly set on a boat (Titanic Remembrance Day, April 15): Lifeboat
A film from Harold Lloyd (born April 20): The Freshman is the only one I've seen.
A film about the environment or related themes (Earth Day, April 22): To the Wonder

Also, should I be shocked that MT has never seen The Patriot?

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2019, 10:19:17 PM »

I dunno, should you? I'm not a Mel Gibson fan or Roland Emmerich fan, so why would I?

Also, I just realized I had a brain fart and got Harold Lloyd mixed up with Buster Keaton. I've only seen 8, but my favorite is (unsurprisingly) Safety Last

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2019, 03:30:01 AM »
Completed so far 6 /15

A film with the number 4 (Four, Fourth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel):
A film with a title that starts with the letters G or H:Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #4 (i.e. 14, 24, 42): Grave of the Fireflies (1988) (#47 on 2 April 2019)
A film from the 1930s:
A drama: Kramer vs. Kramer (1980)
A B-movie: Deathstalker (1983)
A Biblical film:
A film from Iran (Iran Independence, April 1):
A film featuring robots prominently (Nat'l Robotics Week, April 6-14):
A film based on a book/novel (Nat'l Library Week, April 7-13): Monster Family (2017) (based on the book Happy Family)
A film prominently featuring siblings (Siblings Day, April 10):Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
A film set in the American Revolutionary War (Patriots' Day, April 15):
A film mostly set on a boat (Titanic Remembrance Day, April 15):
A film from Harold Lloyd (born April 20):
A film about the environment or related themes (Earth Day, April 22):
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 05:39:56 PM by Dave the Necrobumper »

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2019, 12:20:16 PM »
A film with the number 4 (Four, Fourth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
A film with a title that starts with the letters G or H: Hellboy (2004)
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #4 (i.e. 14, 24, 42): (see list here) Rear Window #44 so why not!
A film from the 1930s: City Girl (1930)
A drama: Kramer Vs. Kramer
A B-movie: Lone Wolf McQuade
A Biblical film: The Prince of Egypt
A film from Iran (Iran Independence, April 1): Salaam Cinema
A film featuring robots prominently (Nat'l Robotics Week, April 6-14): Wall-E
A film based on a book/novel (Nat'l Library Week, April 7-13): Blade Runner
A film prominently featuring siblings (Siblings Day, April 10): Days of Heaven
A film set in the American Revolutionary War (Patriots' Day, April 15): The Patriot I guess... You should watch the TV show John Adams instead, though.
A film mostly set on a boat (Titanic Remembrance Day, April 15): Lifeboat
A film from Harold Lloyd (born April 20): The Freshman is the only one I've seen.
A film about the environment or related themes (Earth Day, April 22): To the Wonder

Those are the ones I've seen. I have Lifeboat in mind, since it's one of the more notable Hitchcock films that I still haven't seen. Thanks!

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2019, 06:53:23 PM »

I dunno, should you? I'm not a Mel Gibson fan or Roland Emmerich fan, so why would I?

I assume he meant that you're a great patriot.

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2019, 09:47:20 PM »
Some quickies on the first 5 watches of the month...

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) Overall competent, but ultimately unremarkable. The film follows the formula, but does little to separate itself from the first Avengers, or any other superhero film for that matter.

The Hateful Eight (2015) Solid film, despite some slight unevenness in its pace. Most of the performances are great, and Tarantino's dialogue is snappy and fun, but it doesn't bring it up to my QT Top 5.

Three Identical Strangers (2018) Powerful documentary about three brothers separated at birth and adopted by three different families. Seamlessly transitions from light fun to infuriating indignation, while asking how far should we allow our institutions to go for the sake of "science".

Cold War (2018) Bleak and depressing story about love, and perhaps the idea of love, in the aftermath of war. Beautifully shot and neatly acted.

Safety Last! (1923) Hilariously funny comedy about appearances and trying to make ends meet. My first Harold Lloyd film, and it was impressive to see how much control he has of his physicality.

Potential next films: Lifeboat (boat), Risen (Biblical), and Persepolis (Iran). Will try to find Freaks (1930s) and Stalker (IMDb) as well.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:50:27 PM by Thief »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2019, 06:40:19 PM »
Potential next films: Will try to find Freaks (1930s) as well.

The full movie looks like it is on archive.org https://archive.org/details/FreaksTodBrowning1932

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2019, 07:22:35 PM »
Potential next films: Will try to find Freaks (1930s) as well.

The full movie looks like it is on archive.org https://archive.org/details/FreaksTodBrowning1932

Giggidy! Thanks.

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2019, 05:30:40 PM »
Quickies on my mid-month 5 watches...

Lifeboat (1944) This was pretty good. Not top-tier Hitchcock, but maybe within the next two rungs. If anything, it lacked a bit of subtlety, but it was well acted and had a nice pace.

Persepolis (2007) Overall, it was interesting and fun. The animation was clean and neat, and the voice performances were good. However, I really didn't find myself engaged in it.

The Happening (2008) What the f**k was the plan with this? Seriously. I mean, during the first half or so, Shyamalan did manage to convey a nice creepy vibe, but what was up with the performances? the way everybody delivered their lines? and the ending? Don't know what to think of this.

The Tingler (1959) Vincent Price is great and the actress that plays his wife too. I thought it was fun for the most part, but the story does have a weird, abrupt climax that falls a bit under the weight of the gimmick, but you gotta give it to William Castle for trying to bring a whole experience to the theater.

Freaks (1932) Extremely unsettling, but full of good performances and a nice pace for the most part. Unfortunately, you feel the studio cuts in the way the climax abruptly ends, and with the tacked-on ending. Still, I really enjoyed it.

Potential next films: Risen (Biblical), still trying to find Stalker for the IMDb category, and still not sure what to watch for the "book-based", "Fourth" and "American Revolutionary War" categs.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2019, 11:33:27 PM »
The Tingler (1959) Vincent Price is great and the actress that plays his wife too. I thought it was fun for the most part, but the story does have a weird, abrupt climax that falls a bit under the weight of the gimmick, but you gotta give it to William Castle for trying to bring a whole experience to the theater.
Every time I heard of William Castle it was in a dismissive way. He was the gimmick director. He never reached the level of the great filmmakers - this is as good as he gets - but he's often very fun.

love