love

Author Topic: Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2019  (Read 17220 times)

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
Re: Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2019
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2019, 02:39:02 PM »
I apologize for the lack of updates, but I've been busy as hell with new parenting duties  :o But anyway, here are my quickies on what I've seen so far...

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018) See review on next post.

A Fistful of Dollars (1964) Since I planned on watching the second one, I decided to revisit this one. Still hold the same opinion; It's a very fun and enjoyable film, despite its lack of originality of novelty. Grade: B+

Seven (1995, rewatch) Even though this is my #2 film of all time, I hadn't seen it in a good while. Being the "seventh" month, I knew I wanted to see it, and it was as great as I remembered it. Great acting and great direction, and the whole last act still packs a punch of tension and dread, even for the umpteenth time. Grade: A+

For a Few Dollars More (1965) I might have to agree with Tak on how good this was. As enjoyable as the first one, but I think I found a bit more depth to it. Lee Van Cleef owned every scene he was in. As for it being better than the third one, I will hold that judgment until I rewatch it. Grade: A-

47 Meters Down (2017) There are some interesting things here and some good execution, but overall, it fails to excel on any aspect. There are some tense moments and some interesting, although not that unexpected, twists but not much else. Grade: C+

The Fate of the Furious (2017) Bonkers. That's the only word I can use to describe this film and maybe the route this franchise has taken. I mean, what other film can have an evil Charlize Theron hacking and controlling a horde of hundreds of "zombie" cars in the middle of Manhattan to chase our heroes? It was crazy fun and probably my second favorite of the franchise. Grade: A-

The Emperor's New Groove (2000) Can you guess why, or with who, I saw this one?  ;)  Anyway, saw it dubbed in Spanish for the benefit of the kids. It was very fun with some simple, neat animation. Lots of cool, memorable characters and a nice message. They were hooked all of the film and so was I. Grade: B

American Reunion (2012) Better than I expected, although still far from great/good. It felt like an organic and natural follow-up and it was nice to see most of the cast back, the themes it tries to touch were good, until it devolves into more of the same shenanigans as the first films, and when it does, a lot of the jokes fall flat. Also, despite some interesting ideas, a lot of them are merely brushed over. Grade: C+, maybe a bit lower.

WarGames (1983) Surprisingly, this is a film I don't remember watching, despite growing up in the 80s. The thing is that it's a lot of fun. Loved the opening, and the whole film was very entertaining and thrilling, despite what can be seen as a too convenient and simplistic resolution. Broderick was great. Grade: B+

Dead Ringers (1988) Neatly acted and directed, there's a perennial sense of uncomfortability throughout this film. Irons is excellent in the dual role, and Cronenberg and Co. make the transition of the dual roles to be almost seamless. Not as icky as some of Cronenberg's films, but certainly disturbing. Grade: A-

Maya the Bee Movie (2014) Very simple film, with vibrant, colorful animation and cute, likable characters. The story and theme is well transmitted, and it overall, enjoyable despite feeling a bit cheap-ish at times. My kids enjoyed it. Grade: B

La La Land (2016) For some reason, I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did. From the get-go, I felt pleasantly "bombarded" by the use of colors along with wardrobes and set decoration, the dance/song sequences were neatly choreographed and fun. But also, Gosling and Stone's performances were excellent. And that ending? Woof... loved it. Grade: A+

Synecdoche, New York (2008) Such a bizarre and weird film, held together by Philip Seymour Hoffman's honest performance. I don't think I can say too much right now cause this is one that I'll probably have to give some time to wallow in my mind, but I was entertained, puzzled, and moved all throughout. Grade: A

It's the last day of July, and I still have 2 or 3 films to finish. With my new "schedule", it will be impossible, but I'll see if I can sneak up at least two short films tonight to "complete" the challenge and pat myself in the back.  ;D

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2019, 02:40:06 PM »
A film with a title that starts with the letters M or N
A film from the Top 50 highest-grossing films list, or a "typical blockbuster"

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

"You should have killed me, Ethan. The end you’ve always feared is coming. It’s coming. And the blood will be on your hands. The fallout of all your good intentions."

It's been more than 22 years since Tom Cruise dangled himself as Ethan Hunt into our screens for the first time. 22 years, 6 films, 5 directors, and countless "bosses", "villains", and "team members" later, everything seems so different and yet, also not. During the course of the franchise, Hunt has remained the same committed, skilled, almost superhuman agent, and yet he has grown and evolved, in the same way the franchise has evolved around him. After a slick start helmed by Brian De Palma, and an awkward sequel by John Woo, the next four films have stabilized and redirected the franchise in one consistent direction, regardless of the director involved. This latest installment, in many ways, brings Hunt face to face with his past actions going back to the third film; The "fallout of [his] good intentions", so to speak.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout follows Hunt and his team of secret agents as they try to recover a trio of plutonium cores lost after a botched handoff. Reluctantly paired with CIA agent Walker (Henry Cavill), Hunt and his team have to travel from Paris to London to Kashmir in pursuit of the cores, which have been taken by escaped anarchist Solomon Lane (Sean Harris) and his mysterious partner known as John Lark. The plot sets up the table for an array of thrilling action sequences, which much like Cruise, have become the staple of the franchise. From a motorcycle chase around Paris to a foot chase across London or a helicopter "dogfight" in the mountains of Kashmir, the film never fails to deliver in the action front. The commitment from Cruise and his crew for the use of practical effects, as opposed to CGI, is commendable and effective.

But as thrilling and important as the action sequences might be, I find their way to handle the character of Ethan Hunt to be the best of this "evolution". Ever since M:I-3, Cruise, the producers, and the writers have gone to great lengths to somewhat "humanize" Hunt, to turn him into an emotional, real being. This Ethan Hunt is haunted by past choices, burdened by his responsibility as team leader, and what he might see as an inability to protect the ones he loves. Most of this "emotional anchor" relies in the presence in some way of Michelle Monaghan as Hunt's estranged wife/ex-wife, who we first met in M:I-3, and who serves as his perennial drive. This film puts him face to face with the decisions he made in previous films in order to protect her.

It's good to see that Hunt has some level of "vulnerability" in spite of his job and skills, and that he is not the cold, emotionless spy that James Bond is. He cares, about his team, his friends, and his loved ones, sometimes to the detriment of his mission, which is what sparks the story on this film. But it's also good to see humor and lightness in the dialogue and direction (the foot chase across London comes to mind). The return of Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg as members of Hunt's team all help to bring that sense of camaraderie and familiarity to the film. But also a huge part of why this film works is the presence of Henry Cavill as CIA agent Augustus Walker. I've skipped all of the DCEU films, so I think this is the first film of his I've seen, but he killed it. I really enjoyed his sometimes cocky, sometimes friendly vibe, and he and Cruise really played well off each other.

Cruise, who has produced every one of the films, has always used the franchise to work with different directors: De Palma, Woo, Bird, and Abrams, who also became a producer after directing the third one. But by the fifth one, it seems he has settled into a comfortable relationship with writer/director Christopher McQuarrie, with whom he has collaborated in one way or another six times since 2008's Valkyrie (with at least three more collaborations on the pipeline). McQuarrie returning to direct Fallout is the first time that a director returns to the franchise, but this is also the first time that a villain (Lane) returns on the series. With two more sequels already on schedule, both written and directed by McQuarrie, it's obvious that the franchise is holding onto this specific thread, en route to a potential ending to the series? Who knows. But as of now, Fallout feels like a proper closure to what was started more than 22 years ago. The "fallout" of Cruise's good intentions.

Grade: A-

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2019, 12:49:21 PM »
I've been way more busy than usual so I haven't been able to update this thread, but for those interested, here is July's final tally.

A film with the number 7 (Seven, Seventh, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): Seven
A film with a title that starts with the letters M or N: Mission: Impossible - Fallout
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #7 (i.e. 17, 27, 73): For a Few Dollars More (#107)
A film from the 1960s: Scorpio Rising
A musical: La La Land
A film from the Top 50 highest-grossing films list, or a "typical blockbuster": The Fate of the Furious
A film about sharks (Shark Week): 47 Meters Down
A film from a Canadian director (Canada Day, July 1): Dead Ringers
A film with "America" in its title (Independence Day, July 4): American Reunion
A film from France (Bastille Day, July 14): Un Chien Andalou
A film with the word "Moon" in its title (Moon Day, July 20): La Luna
A film from Philip Seymour Hoffman (born July 23): Synecdoche, New York
A film prominently featuring computers or IT employees (SysAdmin Appreciation Day, July 26): WarGames
A western film (Day of the Cowboy, July 27): A Fistful of Dollars
A film about friends or friendship in general (Int'l Day of Friendship, July 30): The Emperor's New Groove, Maya the Bee Movie

Not counting rewatches, the best film was La La Land.

Worst? Probably 47 Meters Down or American Reunion, none of which were really bad bad, but just meh-diocre.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:51:04 PM by Thief »

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2019, 12:53:05 PM »
And here are some new categories for August...

A film with the number 8 (Eight, Eighth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel):
A film with a title that starts with the letters O or P:
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #8 (i.e. 18, 28, 208): (see list here)
A film from the 1970s:
A thriller:
A film set in school:
A film featuring a clown (Clown Week):
A film about drinking or beer (International Beer Day, August 2):
A film with the word "Left" in its title (Lefthanders Day, August 13):
A film from South Korea (Independence Day, August 15):
A film set mostly on a plane (Aviation Day, August 19):
A film set in Hawaii (joined the US on August 21):
A film with a primarily senior cast (Senior Citizens Day, August 21):
A film about dogs (Dog Day, August 26):
A film from William Friedkin (born August 29):

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2019, 12:55:26 PM »
Aaaand quickies on the first five films of the month...

Ordinary People (1980) Powerful and well acted by most of the cast, but most notably by Timothy Hutton and Mary Tyler Moore. Both were really, really impressive in the subtlety of their performances. I really liked that the film doesn't necessarily offer a traditionally "satisfying" conclusion, but rather a more realistic and somber resolution that doesn't tie everything in a neat bow. Grade: A

Three Days of the Condor (1975) Overall, a very satisfying and well crafted thriller that doesn't really on flashes and bangs, but on tension. Redford was good on the lead role, but I really enjoyed Max Von Sydow. My main complaint is in how the relationship between Redford and Dunaway develops, some of which I don't think was necessary. Still, a fine film. Grade: A-

Flight of the Living Dead (2007) When I decided to watch this, I readied myself for some cheap, zombie schlock. Unfortunately, the film doesn't deliver in any of the areas it should. It's not particularly gory or thrilling, and not really entertaining or funny, but rather dull and boring. It wastes about 30-40 minutes in exposition and presenting dull characters and then it gets worse as things go awry in the plane. One of those premises that should work, but ends up being really boring instead. Grade: D

The Last House on the Left (2009) I wasn't a fan of the original version, so I knew I was on shaky ground when I decided to watch this. It's definitely slicker and better looking, and it has a couple of really solid performances (most notably Garret Dillahunt). However, in the end, it doesn't work as well as it should and everything ends up feeling a bit stale and lifeless. Grade: C or C+

A Perfect Getaway (2009) This was a really fun, cheap thriller. I've always thought Steve Zahn is an underrated actor, but Timothy Olyphant really steals the show. Milla Jovovich isn't that great, but rather serviceable. I enjoyed the twist and the film is never boring, but I think the final resolution could've been way better. Still, a lot of fun. Grade: B or maybe B+, if I'm generous.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2019, 01:56:05 PM »
Glad you liked Ordinary People, MTM is astonishing. One of my favorites.

A film with the number 8 (Eight, Eighth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): this is pretty obvious, but to me it's the only real choice... 8 1/2
A film with a title that starts with the letters O or P: The Organizer
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #8 (i.e. 18, 28, 208): Amadeus
A film from the 1970s: The Conformist
A thriller: Sudden Fear
A film set in school: The Browning Version
A film featuring a clown (Clown Week): Sawdust and Tinsel
A film about drinking or beer (International Beer Day, August 2): Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
A film with the word "Left" in its title (Lefthanders Day, August 13): Soigne ton gauche (Watch Your Left)
A film from South Korea (Independence Day, August 15): Lady Vengeance
A film set mostly on a plane (Aviation Day, August 19): Airplane!
A film set in Hawaii (joined the US on August 21): Lilo & Stitch
A film with a primarily senior cast (Senior Citizens Day, August 21): Saraband
A film about dogs (Dog Day, August 26): Wendy and Lucy
A film from William Friedkin (born August 29): The Exorcist

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2019, 02:52:59 PM »
Glad you liked Ordinary People, MTM is astonishing. One of my favorites.

Yes, she is. I'm not that familiar with her career, but I read that this role was very against-type for her, which made it all the more impressive to people.

A film with the number 8 (Eight, Eighth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): this is pretty obvious, but to me it's the only real choice... 8 1/2
A film with a title that starts with the letters O or P: The Organizer
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #8 (i.e. 18, 28, 208): Amadeus
A film from the 1970s: The Conformist
A thriller: Sudden Fear
A film set in school: The Browning Version
A film featuring a clown (Clown Week): Sawdust and Tinsel
A film about drinking or beer (International Beer Day, August 2): Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
A film with the word "Left" in its title (Lefthanders Day, August 13): Soigne ton gauche (Watch Your Left)
A film from South Korea (Independence Day, August 15): Lady Vengeance
A film set mostly on a plane (Aviation Day, August 19): Airplane!
A film set in Hawaii (joined the US on August 21): Lilo & Stitch
A film with a primarily senior cast (Senior Citizens Day, August 21): Saraband
A film about dogs (Dog Day, August 26): Wendy and Lucy
A film from William Friedkin (born August 29): The Exorcist

I've seen the ones in red, but I'll put the others up for consideration.

EDIT: Which The Browning Version version?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:56:21 PM by Thief »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2019, 03:10:39 PM »
EDIT: Which The Browning Version version?

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2019, 03:30:20 PM »
Recommendations !

A film with the number 8 (Eight, Eighth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): Eighth Grade
A film with a title that starts with the letters O or P: Pink Floyd: The Wall
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #8 (i.e. 18, 28, 208): (see list here): The Grand Budapest Hotel
A film from the 1970s: Life of Brian
A thriller: Tengoku to jigoku / High & Low [I may or may not find a way to recommend this every month)
A film set in school: Le nouveau / The New Kid
A film featuring a clown (Clown Week): I have nothing
A film about drinking or beer (International Beer Day, August 2): The World's End
A film with the word "Left" in its title (Lefthanders Day, August 13): Stumped again.
A film from South Korea (Independence Day, August 15): Ah-ga-ssi / The Handmaiden
A film set mostly on a plane (Aviation Day, August 19): Castle in the Sky qualifies I think ? Been a while since I've seen it.
A film set in Hawaii (joined the US on August 21): No idea there
A film with a primarily senior cast (Senior Citizens Day, August 21): The Death of Stalin
A film about dogs (Dog Day, August 26): Isle of Dogs
A film from William Friedkin (born August 29): The French Connection (you likely don't need me to recommend this but it's both the only I've seen and quite good.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2019, 06:43:23 PM »
A film with the number 8 (Eight, Eighth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): Eighth Grade
I immediately thought of Hard Eight, which I thought would be the popular choice. My recommendation would be Eight Men Out.

Didn't know Clown Week was a thing. I figured that's when they'd open It! 2 or The Joker.

love