Author Topic: Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2019  (Read 17223 times)

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
Re: Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2019
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2019, 08:05:36 AM »
A film with the number 8 (Eight, Eighth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): Eighth Grade
I immediately thought of Hard Eight, which I thought would be the popular choice. My recommendation would be Eight Men Out.

Didn't know Clown Week was a thing. I figured that's when they'd open It! 2 or The Joker.

I've seen Hard Eight, but I loved it so much that I'm considering a rewatch if I can't find another option. Eight Men Out is pretty good but I rewatched it a couple of years ago and don't feel like going back to it.

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2019, 08:07:46 AM »
Recommendations !

A film with the number 8 (Eight, Eighth, etc.) in its title (not a sequel): Eighth Grade
A film with a title that starts with the letters O or P: Pink Floyd: The Wall
A film from the current IMDb 250 whose ranking includes the #8 (i.e. 18, 28, 208): (see list here): The Grand Budapest Hotel
A film from the 1970s: Life of Brian
A thriller: Tengoku to jigoku / High & Low [I may or may not find a way to recommend this every month)
A film set in school: Le nouveau / The New Kid
A film featuring a clown (Clown Week): I have nothing
A film about drinking or beer (International Beer Day, August 2): The World's End
A film with the word "Left" in its title (Lefthanders Day, August 13): Stumped again.
A film from South Korea (Independence Day, August 15): Ah-ga-ssi / The Handmaiden
A film set mostly on a plane (Aviation Day, August 19): Castle in the Sky qualifies I think ? Been a while since I've seen it.
A film set in Hawaii (joined the US on August 21): No idea there
A film with a primarily senior cast (Senior Citizens Day, August 21): The Death of Stalin
A film about dogs (Dog Day, August 26): Isle of Dogs
A film from William Friedkin (born August 29): The French Connection (you likely don't need me to recommend this but it's both the only I've seen and quite good.

I've seen none of these, but most of them are certainly under consideration; particularly The French Connection, which I can't seem to find anywhere.

On a related note, you haven't seen The Exorcist?

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2019, 11:11:07 AM »
Yeah, The Exorcist is one of my biggest blindspots. As a kid, I remember that the mere idea of it was terrifying to me, and I decided horror films weren't for me. I will certainly get to it at some point, since I no longer hold that belief.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2019, 01:38:01 PM »
I haven't been able to get online much during the last few months, but I will try to update this thread with what I've seen during the last months.