Author Topic: FYC 2019 - General  (Read 42328 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: FYC 2019 - General
« Reply #260 on: January 21, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »
Saw Knives Out again this weekend and just have to FYC this line:

"I spoke in the car about the hole at the center of this doughnut. And what you and Harlan did that fateful night seems, at first glance, to fill that hole perfectly. A doughnut hole in a doughnut's hole. But we must look a little closer. And when we do, we see that the doughnut hole has a hole in its center. It is not a doughnut hole, but a smaller doughnut with its own hole, and our doughnut is not holed at all!"
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #261 on: January 21, 2020, 04:50:33 PM »
Country Music

Best Documentary

Rocketman

Best Scene (Dramatic) - The Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting) sequence

The Dead Don't Die

Best Scene (Comedic) - Steve Buscemi's "Keep America White Again" cap
Best Line - Ronald Peterson (Adam Driver): I know, because I have read the script."
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #262 on: January 21, 2020, 08:22:38 PM »
Anyone watch NinoKuni on Netflix yet? Any Best Animated Film potential there?

pixote

Was wondering if that was a 2019, I kind of want to check it out. Got approx 5 hours in to NNK1 when it first came out, didn't play NNK2 at all, but heard it was a huge improvement on the first. Not sure there's any connection with the film though, besides the world itself, I imagine. Story in the first game didn't stand out at all, so hopefully the film improves upon that.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #263 on: January 21, 2020, 08:56:06 PM »
Anyone watch NinoKuni on Netflix yet? Any Best Animated Film potential there?

pixote

Was wondering if that was a 2019, I kind of want to check it out. Got approx 5 hours in to NNK1 when it first came out, didn't play NNK2 at all, but heard it was a huge improvement on the first. Not sure there's any connection with the film though, besides the world itself, I imagine. Story in the first game didn't stand out at all, so hopefully the film improves upon that.
The world and the music by Joe Hisaishi which is great!

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2020, 10:00:20 PM »
The Dead Don't Die

Best Scene (Comedic) - Steve Buscemi's "Keep America White Again" cap
Best Line - Ronald Peterson (Adam Driver): I know, because I have read the script."

Anytime I see/hear someone cite a scene from this film, it automatically replays in my head, and I smile.

Driver coming out and speaking openly about the script to the film is soooooooo funny to me, I am actually giggling to myself. So much of this film comes at you from left field, but it all works so well for me.

Keep America White Again. WU-PS. That stupid Sturgill Simpson CD. Selena Gomez' "vintage" straight pride t-shirt. Oh, the props from that film that I'd like to own.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #265 on: January 22, 2020, 12:46:33 AM »

"I spoke in the car about the hole at the center of this doughnut. And what you and Harlan did that fateful night seems, at first glance, to fill that hole perfectly. A doughnut hole in a doughnut's hole. But we must look a little closer. And when we do, we see that the doughnut hole has a hole in its center. It is not a doughnut hole, but a smaller doughnut with its own hole, and our doughnut is not holed at all!"
While we usually agree, I thought this was a terrible line - unintentionally funny at best - and I know most people don't see it that way. I'd rather nominate "What did the Nazi child masturbating in the bathroom say?"

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #266 on: January 22, 2020, 12:51:24 AM »

While we usually agree, I thought this was a terrible line - unintentionally funny at best - and I know most people don't see it that way. I'd rather nominate "What did the Nazi child masturbating in the bathroom say?"
You got me there, 1SO, I actually did laugh out loud remember that line.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #267 on: January 22, 2020, 07:30:07 AM »

unintentionally funny at best

You don't think Johnson was going for funny with this line? lol

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #268 on: January 22, 2020, 09:16:26 AM »
This may be my deep dive into murder mysteries. At this point in the story it's a time to revel in the suspense not deflate it. This being deliberately comedic seems like disrespectful parody of the genre, which is not something I see Johnson doing.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #269 on: January 22, 2020, 09:47:25 AM »
This may be my deep dive into murder mysteries. At this point in the story it's a time to revel in the suspense not deflate it. This being deliberately comedic seems like disrespectful parody of the genre, which is not something I see Johnson doing.

Ok, this makes sense and I respect your position. I think I was originally thrown off by your word choice of "unintentionally", as though Johnson wasn't intending the line to be funny.