Author Topic: Produce The Oscars  (Read 7108 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Produce The Oscars
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 09:45:16 PM »
it takes the persons dignity away because it highlights in the most unflattering way the degree to which they've diminished.
I thought your link was going to be Kirk Douglas at the Golden Globes. It ruined my image of him. The legend deserves better.

Oh for sure, the GG's and Oscar's use of Kirk Douglas is like the all-time champ of this (it's THE example)... I just couldn't find a good clip of the 2018 GG's on youtube.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 02:04:35 AM »
I actually agree with 1SO that stuff like Pawel Pawlikowski or Isabelle Huppert getting oscar nominations is strange, and kind of arrogant really. The Oscars are an industry award, and that industry is Hollywood, not "world cinema". By randomly including some foreign films every year, they make it seem as if they are the awards for the whole of world cinema, which they most definitely are not. The Foreign category is fine because it's essentially an annex, kind of separate from the rest, an acknowledgment.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 03:41:55 AM »
Sorry 1SO...somehow reading that paragraph I stopped before the last sentence...everything about it was screaming "cut that category." In any event, I stand by my suggestion.

I also stand by redefining Art Direction to include costumes and makeup. Art Direction may presently mean the physical space minus the people, but I don't see it being that big of a shift to add to that the physical appearance of the people and their relation to that space.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 11:34:34 AM »
I actually agree with 1SO that stuff like Pawel Pawlikowski or Isabelle Huppert getting oscar nominations is strange, and kind of arrogant really. The Oscars are an industry award, and that industry is Hollywood, not "world cinema". By randomly including some foreign films every year, they make it seem as if they are the awards for the whole of world cinema, which they most definitely are not. The Foreign category is fine because it's essentially an annex, kind of separate from the rest, an acknowledgment.

When they occasionally include a non-Hollywood entry in the "mainstream" categories it always feels like they're saying, "Hey look, a foreigner actually managed to do something as good as Hollywood for once! Good for you, foreigner!". I'm all for restricting all awards (except foreign) to Hollywood only, to save us the embarrassment of pretending that we're the stewards of world cinema.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 12:10:08 PM »

When they occasionally include a non-Hollywood entry in the "mainstream" categories it always feels like they're saying, "Hey look, a foreigner actually managed to do something as good as Hollywood for once! Good for you, foreigner!". I'm all for restricting all awards (except foreign) to Hollywood only, to save us the embarrassment of pretending that we're the stewards of world cinema.
To me it comes off more as "we noticed" than "you're actually good enough," but maybe that's just me. Also, with Roma having a serious chance of being the first non-English language film to win Best Picture this seems like a weird time to make this argument.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 12:59:02 PM »
There should just be one category for Best Film or Film Aspect. It should have thirty nominations, and the winner should be decided live, not by voters but by a royal rumble between the nominees.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 01:00:03 PM »
There should just be one category for Best Film or Film Aspect. It should have thirty nominations, and the winner should be decided live, not by voters but by a royal rumble between the nominees.

pixote

An interesting solution to the "Popular Film" problem: with this system, blockbusters certainly have an advantage.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 01:18:32 PM »
To me it comes off more as "we noticed" than "you're actually good enough," but maybe that's just me. Also, with Roma having a serious chance of being the first non-English language film to win Best Picture this seems like a weird time to make this argument.

If they were actually good at "noticing", then every year the Best Picture (not to mention the other categories) nominees should be MOSTLY foreign movies. Giving the award to Roma would only be the exception that proves the rule. Including one foreign film every now and then gives the impression of "oh we do pay attention to world cinema, we just think that most of the time NONE OF THE OTHER MOVIES IN THE WORLD are as good as Hollywood movies". When the reality is that they're not really paying attention, and it's only the rare foreign film that somehow manages to get some mainstream attention that catches their eye.

I feel like I'm not articulating myself, I'm afraid.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 01:27:04 PM »

If they were actually good at "noticing", then every year the Best Picture (not to mention the other categories) nominees should be MOSTLY foreign movies. Giving the award to Roma would only be the exception that proves the rule. Including one foreign film every now and then gives the impression of "oh we do pay attention to world cinema, we just think that most of the time NONE OF THE OTHER MOVIES IN THE WORLD are as good as Hollywood movies". When the reality is that they're not really paying attention, and it's only the rare foreign film that somehow manages to get some mainstream attention that catches their eye.

I feel like I'm not articulating myself, I'm afraid.
No, I understand and agree. They're terrible at noticing. I'm just saying I view it as displaying their ignorance, and the lack of availability, rather than as condescension.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 01:57:42 PM »
lol, like the Filmspots are soooooo different.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love