love

Author Topic: #716: The Matrix / Top 5 Slow-Motion Scenes (Since "The Matrix")  (Read 879 times)

Rob2Kx

#716: The Matrix / Top 5 Slow-Motion Scenes (Since "The Matrix")
« on: February 15, 2019, 05:47:57 PM »
Just listening to this episode, and there seems to be a bit of confusion as to whether the people inside The Matrix are in it together (as opposed to each having their own "instance" if it).

It's pretty clear that they are all inhabiting the same place.  If they were in their own separate Matrix then they would never be able to meet each other and carry over their interactions into the real world (as they certainly do in the movie).  The Matrix was also made at a time when the internet was gaining mainstream popularity, which the movie is more than likely influenced by - riffing on that interconnectivity with ramped up technology (Second Life times a million).

The clip that gets played (the woman in red scene) does a pretty good job of explaining why the innocents they kill are necessary casualties.  Most people not only wouldn't believe the reality of the situation (that they live in a simulation), but would actively fight against it.  And on a pragmatic note, Neo is a prime candidate to be awoken and it takes a significant amount of time for that to happen - to have to go through that process for every police officer/security guard/military person whose job it is to follow orders and is actively fighting to stop the Team would be ridiculous and uncinematic to say the least.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
Re: #716: The Matrix / Top 5 Slow-Motion Scenes (Since "The Matrix")
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 07:38:16 PM »
But also what happens to the people in the pods when the agents morph into their bodies? Do they die?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 11:19:27 PM »
I never doubted it for a minute. The Agents wouldn't hesitate to morph into a human vessel and kill that battery for the greater good.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 12:34:16 PM »
The clip that gets played (the woman in red scene) does a pretty good job of explaining why the innocents they kill are necessary casualties.  Most people not only wouldn't believe the reality of the situation (that they live in a simulation), but would actively fight against it.  And on a pragmatic note, Neo is a prime candidate to be awoken and it takes a significant amount of time for that to happen - to have to go through that process for every police officer/security guard/military person whose job it is to follow orders and is actively fighting to stop the Team would be ridiculous and uncinematic to say the least.
Definitely got all of that but nobody is suggesting they should have to go through that process for everyone. What I am suggesting is that it's at least worth discussing that they are killing 'innocent' just 'unwoke' people. That they fight being woke and sort of sleepwalk thru their days is the case you can make for every one of us viewers. But being inclined towards blissful ignorance is something far different than being an active agent (sorry) against humanity. If everyone in a pod can be killed without a second's hesitation because they are the potential vessel for an agent, then what's really stopping you from just randomly knocking out non-agents? After all, you've written off the chances they'll ever be woke, and they might end up killing you.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 07:30:21 AM »
I enjoyed the episode, even though I've never been a fan of the film. I can acknowledge its relevance in the greater scope of cinema, but as far as the nuts and bolts of the story go? Meh... I haven't seen it since 1999, but what I remember from it is a case of "style over substance". Even though there's an attempt to have "substance", I don't think they fully succeeded.