love

Author Topic: Not My Cup of Tea: Top 5 Directors That You Just Don't Like Very Much  (Read 8240 times)

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
Re: Not My Cup of Tea: Top 5 Directors That You Just Don't Like Very Much
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 06:08:31 PM »

LAST TEN OZU FILMS

An Autumn Afternoon - Daughter leaving the nest story. Single Father.
The End of Summer - Daughter leaving the nest story. Parents Together.
Late Autumn - Daughter leaving the nest story. Single Mother.
Floating Weeds - Absentee actor father who tries to reconnect with his son.
Good Morning - Kids try to get their parents to buy them a TV.
Equinox Flower - Daughter leaving the nest story. Parents together.
Tokyo Twilight - Two adult daughters struggle through the ramifications of a mother who abandoned them.
Early Spring - Adultery drama.
Tokyo Story - Several generations converge to navigate the complexities of shared familial trauma.
The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice - Mid-life crisis marriage drama.

-

LAST TEN MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE  FILMS

Captain Marvel - Origin Story.
Ant-Man & the Wasp - Sequel.
Avengers: Infinity War - Sequel Crossover.
Black Panther - Origin Story.
Thor: Ragnarok - Threequel (oooh)
Spider-Man: Homecoming - Origin Story.
Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 - Sequel.
Doctor Strange - Origin Story.
Captain America: Civil War - Sequel Crossover.
Ant-Man - Origin Story.

I don't know, man - I think you like hearing the same story over and over, 1SO!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2019, 07:51:56 PM »
Last 10 MCU films with Robert Downey: 3
Last 10 Ozu films with Setsuko Hara:4
Last 10 Ozu films with Haruko Sugimura: 7
Last 10 Ozu films with Chishű Ryű: 10
Last 10 Ozu films co-written by Kôgo Noda: 10

Much as some are sick of seeing Iron Man in so many MCU films, his number only gets up to 10 if you include his cameo in The Incredible Hulk and his upcoming appearance in Endgame.

I have no trouble telling Ant-Man apart from Spider-Man, or even Doctor Strange apart from the similar ego maniac Tony Stark. Ozu's films (as far as I know) are not connected, sequels or part of some shared universe but I can't recall a difference between Late Autumn, An Autumn Afternoon, Early Spring or Late Spring.

Don't confuse same story with the same type of story.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2019, 07:41:35 PM »
Are we talking about stories or facial recognition? If these new goal posts you’ve created are now solely about images and not storytelling, drop me into any MCU wide shot of a ship crashing or exploding (which there are many) and I won’t be able to tell you which film it is.

But you changed the goal posts instead of addressing my point: these stories are by and large power fantasy fulfillment plots complete with more or less the exact same three act structure, film by film. Ozu has his own rhythms that he repeats too, but complaining about one while trying to defend the other is like praising rap while dissing country and not seeing that both genres are largely about economic instability.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 07:45:34 PM by Will »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2019, 08:37:04 PM »
I was having fun going down memory lane with this debate. You seem to think I'm deliberately creating a false narrative, that I can actually tell one Ozu from another while choosing to ignore similarities within an interconnected franchise. I'm not meta enough to debate this in terms of goal posts. I'm saying that you can show me 5 minutes of any MCU film and I'm pretty sure I'll know which one I'm looking at, even though they contain sequels. I can sit for a long time watching Ozu and I can recognize it as Ozu, but I couldn't tell you the title, though I would guess it contains one of the four seasons. I would jest that it will probably end in a shot of a crying parent, though that's probably something he's only done a half-dozen times his entire career.

What I'm saying is that I don't recognize the subtle differences in most Ozu, nor do I understand why that's a good thing. However, I will fully admit he is considered a master filmmaker and beloved by most. I no longer see the point in trying to prove he's not as good as people say he is. I'm down to just trying to explain why his similarities from film to film in story, character and camera technique don't appeal to me.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2019, 11:20:12 AM »
I like Ozu quite a bit, and I could not tell you which “season” movie is which. The titles don’t help (like a lot of noir, too). The only Ozu films that I could describe from just the title are Tokyo Story, Floating Weeds, Good Morning, Record of a Tenement Gentleman.

Will... did you reel off those plot summaries from memory?

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2019, 03:17:14 PM »
I might incur in the wrath of the Filmspotting gods, but one my most notable choice here would be Scorsese. I've seen 12 of his films and, although I can say I've liked most of them, I fail to really connect with them. They don't stick with me and I end up feeling indifferent to most of them.

One very notable exception would be Hugo, which I absolutely love.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2019, 04:47:53 PM »
I might incur in the wrath of the Filmspotting gods, but one my most notable choice here would be Scorsese. I've seen 12 of his films and, although I can say I've liked most of them, I fail to really connect with them. They don't stick with me and I end up feeling indifferent to most of them.

One very notable exception would be Hugo, which I absolutely love.

You probably have Oldkid on your side. At least he has a extreme distaste for films like Goodfellas which then could include a few others.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2019, 05:40:07 PM »
Appropriate because Goodfellas is a very bad film. I mostly am anti-Scorsese, but not consistently enough to include him on mine.

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 10:53:50 PM »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2019, 11:02:02 PM »
See, you are not the only crazy thinking one
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman