Author Topic: Not My Cup of Tea: Top 5 Directors That You Just Don't Like Very Much  (Read 929 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
I should throw in Mitchell Leisen because he fits this category so well. Leisen worked during the Golden Age of Hollywood with many of my favorite classic stars: Barbara Stanwyck, Olivia de Havilland, Jean Arthur, Fred McMurray (9 times), Ray Milland (6 times), Claudette Colbert (4 times), Edward Arnold, Gene Terney, Carole Lombard. A dozen titles are rated above 7.0 on IMDB, but I find his comedies stiff and his dramas even stiffer. Even his good films (Remember the Night, The Mating Season) feel weighed down when the script is anxious to bounce. I actually prefer the triviality of a studio hack like Lloyd Bacon to Leisen's output which reeks of a director who thinks he's better than the material he's given.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
Re: Not My Cup of Tea: Top 5 Directors That You Just Don't Like Very Much
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2019, 02:00:40 PM »
I should throw in Mitchell Leisen because he fits this category so well. Even his good films (Remember the Night, The Mating Season) feel weighed down when the script is anxious to bounce.

I love Remember the Night and Midnight, but you might have a point. His interpretation of both films famously prodded their screenwriters to start directing their own stuff, which makes me wonder what they might've looked like.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red