love

Author Topic: Planet of the Apes  (Read 6132 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Planet of the Apes
« on: April 02, 2019, 08:51:10 AM »

The Planet of the Apes series is a strange bird. It gain fame and notoriety upon its initial release back in the late 60s, which spawned numerous less well received sequels. The franchise saw a reboot directed by Tim Burton in 2001, but when the studio decided to once again reprise the concept for a new trilogy in 2011, it really came on my radar. I have seen the original film, and at least parts of the Burton remake, but for what is considered one of the better recent trilogies, includes some impressive special effects, I have only seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Like my Star Trek marathon before it, a Planet of the Apes marathon is a great opportunity to uncover this oddity of a franchise.

And as always, I would love company! The plan is to watch one film per week. The schedule is subject to change if anyone decides to join me.

1. Planet of the Apes (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1968)
2. Beneath the Planet of the Apes (Ted Post, 1970)
3. Escape from the Planet of the Apes (Don Taylor, 1971)
4. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (J. Lee Thompson, 1972)
5. Battle for the Planet of the Apes (J. Lee Thompson, 1973)

6. Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton, 2001)

7. Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Rupert Wyatt, 2011)
8. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Matt Reeves, 2014)
9. War for the Planet of the Apes (Matt Reeves, 2017)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 12:20:08 PM by Corndog »
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Planet of the Apes
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 10:14:53 AM »
Planning to give a fresh watch to 2-5, which I haven’t seen since I was a kid, and I think they were TV versions.

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 07:09:00 PM »
Other than the original, which I've seen several times, I have vague memories of some of the old ones from when I was a kid (or maybe it was the TV show?).

Anyway, I saw Beneath the Planet of the Apes a couple of years ago and, although far from great, I admire its boldness. I enjoyed it.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 04:08:19 PM »
FWIW, these films have produced a number of bizarre posters.

The one for Escape... is worth looking up but perhaps not in good taste to post here.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 04:26:16 PM »
It's not just this franchise, though. Polish posters are often very strange. I have this Blue Velvet poster:

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 09:40:05 AM »
Yeah, we could probably start a whole thread on bizarre foreign posters alone.

Anyway, a week or two ago I was listening to this great podcast (Next Picture Show) where they compared the original Planet of the Apes with the last one, War for the Planet of the Apes. They bring up a lot of interesting points and touch briefly on the other films from the franchise, so it's worth a listen for any of you.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 09:47:39 AM »
Anyway, a week or two ago I was listening to this great podcast (Next Picture Show) where they compared the original Planet of the Apes with the last one, War for the Planet of the Apes. They bring up a lot of interesting points and touch briefly on the other films from the franchise, so it's worth a listen for any of you.

I love that podcast, but usually skip episode's where I haven't seen the film myself, so perhaps I will circle back to it after this marathon when I've seen them all!

Thief

• Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 10:06:12 AM »

I love that podcast, but usually skip episode's where I haven't seen the film myself, so perhaps I will circle back to it after this marathon when I've seen them all!

I'm the same way. I rarely listen to podcasts about films I haven't seen, so I just browse episodes for films I have seen.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 12:57:23 AM »
Following.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 11:52:12 AM »
False Start! Hopefully finding the time for this sometime soon. The first three have sat on my TV stand for weeks from the library at this point.