Author Topic: Currently Reading (2019-???? Edition)  (Read 23507 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Currently Reading (2019-???? Edition)
« on: April 05, 2019, 12:00:05 PM »
Decided that I'm going to take the plunge on this series:

The series is currently 8 books, with a final 9th on the way, all averaging around 550 pages a piece.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 08:34:16 AM by Sam the Cinema Snob »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Currently Reading (2019 Edition)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 12:12:43 PM »
Since you're a fan of the show and find the premise to be a good one, I think you'll really enjoy what the book is able to offer on top of all that. After you get through some of it, I'd love to hear your impressions. :)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 12:14:58 PM »

For the first time in months, I'm reading a book that isn't about babies. This is a super trashy true crime book I picked up a while ago. So far only read the prologue, which is very spoiler-y. I suppose it was probably written for a Canadian audience that would already be very familiar with the story.

I finally finished this last week. It was indeed super duper trashy and lurid. Also rather sloppy when describing the trials, mentioning that certain evidence was being held back but not really discussing the bombshell moment when it was finally brought to light. I think part of this is because the author is far too kind to Karla Homolka, and the evidence in question really really shows just how much she was involved. Still, a riveting story (if one that's often incredibly awful and infuriating)

Just started this:

I'm a Vonnegut completist, so I have to. But usually unpublished work is unpublished for a reason. I've read one story so far, and while it wasn't bad or anything, it was really predictable. Not expecting much greatness in this book, but it should be a quick read (as long as I set aside some reading time).

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 06:32:51 PM »
Trucking along with this series. After I finish this one, which is the fourth book, I'll try to crank out some thoughts:

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 11:47:50 AM »

100 pages to go. It's great. And it's depressing.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 04:34:04 PM »

Back on the true crime thing. About 80 pages in, pretty engaging so far. I don't know anything about this guy or his crimes, don't even really remember why I picked this up, but it's been a good page-turner.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 11:07:43 PM »
Did you watch any of the adaptation of The Expanse series Sam? I tried that first season but couldn't go on.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 11:17:41 PM »
I actually watched the show first. I think I like the way they do the characters in the show more but the books have better plotting. Looking forward to season 4. Also need to read book 6 and on but needed a breather after marathoning the first five.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 01:57:02 AM »
Oh interesting. I'm kind of the opposite. The characters really didn't work for me in the show, but enjoyed them a lot in the books. More specifically, the dialogue delivery worked better for me in the book I guess. Other than that the production was good. But I'll go back to the books to continue the series.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 09:39:39 AM »

I was a huge fan of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer as a young man, I was surprised to realize that I never really followed up with any reading about Lucas. This seemed to be the highest rated book about him... when it arrived, I was a little disappointed to see how thin it is. I don't expect it will take me long to get through. So far, it's a compelling but very depressing read. The second chapter is brutal; Lucas's childhood was unbelievably harsh. It's hard to imagine how someone emerges from that situation WITHOUT becoming a serial killer.