Author Topic: #724: Claire Denis / High Life / Madness Champ  (Read 62 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
#724: Claire Denis / High Life / Madness Champ
« on: April 12, 2019, 01:14:12 AM »
The 70 year-old French director of "Beau Travail," "35 Shots of Rum" and last year's "Let the Sunshine In" is having a moment. After 30 years of critically-acclaimed work, Claire Denis remains largely unknown in the U.S. That could change with her latest, HIGH LIFE, an existential sci-fi film starring Robert Pattinson and Juliette Binoche. Denis was in Chicago for a recent screening of the film, giving Adam and guest host Scott Tobias a rare chance to sit down with Denis and talk about how "High Life" fits into her sensuous and provocative body of work and how, among other things, Stephen Hawking's writing contributed to the universe she created on screen. She also plays along with the Filmspotting Five, where she admits to loving ok-maybe-not-your-least-favorite-Wes-Anderson-movie-but-few-people's-favorite (not even Josh's).Also on the show: Adam and Scott join the chorus of critics - and moviegoers - who have found themselves surprisingly charmed by the DCEU's SHAZAM. Plus, the crowning of the 2019 Filmspotting Madness champion.
Texan Down Under

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
Re: #724: Claire Denis / High Life / Madness Champ
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 08:11:41 PM »
I really enjoyed the interview, and not just because two of my own answers to the Filmspotting Five Four would be the same (I just rewatched Life Aquatic and Ozu is a no-brainer). Also, I'm relieved you didn't ask her to weigh in on Filmspotting Madness.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 02:29:22 AM »
Regardless of who's being interviewed i find Adam's interviews always fascinating.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »
Regardless of who's being interviewed i find Adam's interviews always fascinating.
:)
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)