Author Topic: #730: Top 5 Films of 1979 / Alien  (Read 824 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
#730: Top 5 Films of 1979 / Alien
« on: May 24, 2019, 05:50:16 PM »
Of the films celebrating 40th anniversaries in 2019, only Francis Ford Coppola's "Apocalypse Now" can really compete with ALIEN's critical stature and influence, but Adam and Josh make the case for several more films from '79 that deserve to be remembered with this week's Top 5 – including films from directors Andrei Tarkovsky, Carol Ballard, Woody Allen... and Jim Henson. Plus, a revisit of their 2016 Sacred Cow review of Ridley Scott's sci-fi/horror classic. 
Texan Down Under

Dman

Re: #730: Top 5 Films of 1979 / Alien
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 10:12:37 AM »
Josh Larsen, ROCKETMAN is not that bad. Actually, I throughly enjoyed it. Is it a instant cinematic masterpiece? No but I had a lot of fun watching the film, especially the choices made in how they told Elton John's story through his music. For that alone I thought it was a far better film than Bohemian Rhapsody and I say that as someone who really like that film. Also the performances of Taron Egerton and Jamie Bell as respectively Elton and lyricist Bernie Taupin were superb. Hey, Taron does his own singing and does right by Elton and Bernie. C'mon Josh! Give it a chance. Go on and see it with Adam. Don't be a wuss.  ;)

love