love

Author Topic: Midsommar  (Read 2583 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Midsommar
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 08:26:20 PM »
Oh, I see it now. Even on first glance I was like, "what are you talking about?" I thought it was going to be material, in a shadow somewhere among the trees, not formed of the trees. That makes it neat, but A) A best shot should probably be one I actually see/notice and B) Even though it is cool, I don't know what it means in the context of that moment.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 09:16:18 PM »
B) Even though it is cool, I don't know what it means in the context of that moment.
It's the heart of the trauma she's working through.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 09:22:53 PM »
Well yeah, in a general sense, but I'm speaking that particular moment in the film.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 09:33:59 PM »
I could see a less creative director cutting in a shot of the sister to remind the audience that this is fresh in her mind, but instead we see that the drugs she's on is bringing it out like a poison.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 09:49:59 PM »
Yea she is tripping pretty hard at that point, iirc.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2020, 07:25:20 PM »
Anybody else read this Vox article about Midsommar as a trans narrative?

https://www.vox.com/culture/21307689/midsommar-trans-review-ending-spoilers

I think even the author acknowledge is as being amenable to a trans reading rather than intended as a trans story. Still, is is really fun to think of Dani (gender ambiguous name) as a trans woman who initially has the family (body) she was born into, which causes her trauma, and is largely surrounded by men who she feels apart of. In the process of the time in Sweden she slowly realizes her identity, fitting in naturally with the women there and by the end has cast off the trappings of her male life and fully embraced her chosen family (body). Gonna have to give it another viewing with this frame in mind.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2020, 07:55:02 PM »
Didn't realize this was so long in the making, I remember Emily tweeting about this when the film came out. Going to give it a read now. Midsoms is the shit, and I'm super pumped that one of the first title portions you get in AC for the diving is "Midsummer"

I've been looking for a reason to revisit the film, even the non-DC version, and this article might give me that.