Author Topic: Travel  (Read 5632 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Travel
« on: July 07, 2019, 11:15:25 AM »
We have a Vacation thread, but sometimes we're not going away for pleasure. Travel is a common part of my work and I'm never sure where to post it, so I started this.

Today I'm flying to Memphis, working there Mon-Wed. Then on Thursday I fly from Memphis to San Antonio. Return back to L.A. on Monday the 15th.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Travel
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 08:18:58 PM »
I miss Memphis, hoping to visit there next year to see some friends that I haven't seen in a while

Next week I am flying to San Diego for 3 days

Since starting a new job with a new company about 14 months ago..

San Diego: 6 times
Japan: 4 times
Australia: 3 times
Korea: 2 times

Traveled has slowed down the last few months and trying to stay more at home.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 04:23:10 PM »

Stepped off the elevator of my Hotel in San Antonio and saw this image of Alan Ladd and William Bendix from The Glass Key (1942). This isn't some themed hotel - Hampton Inn - and none of the other floors had an image from a movie. I feel special.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 07:19:30 AM »
What, nobody updating this thread?
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 07:40:56 AM »
In a couple of hours I plan to travel from the back room into bed. Does that count :)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 07:58:15 AM »
It counts as an update;).

Next year I am planning one trip home to see my parents in the second half of the year. Work has told us no travel until Q3 next year but that will depend on the need. 

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 08:31:49 AM »
I may be risking a flight to Maryland at the end of the year to visit a friend and, depending on the situation, protest something or other in DC. Otherwise my next scheduled trip is end of August to NYC for a concert (and New England road trip)...but obviously that's contingent on the situation improving such that concerts are a thing again. Got other trips queuing up as well...2+ week southern US road trip, Portugal/Spain/France/Italy trip.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 09:12:50 AM »
Flights wouldn’t worry me too much for a good personal reason put concerts, protests, political rallies would be things I would rather avoid.

Can you really travel to Europe?  I finally managed to get approval for my wife to travel from Germany to Singapore but she has to spend 14 days isolated in a hotel room. The paperwork has been painful and still not certain how Long she can stay

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 11:21:49 AM »
I'm going camping about two hours away with my immediate family this weekend. Does that count?

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 12:32:03 PM »
Well, the Southern US road trip and European trip are more 2022 plans at this point...hoping we have this stuff sorted out by then. The concert in fall 2021 is open air I believe, and if I'm vaccinated by then, I'd be comfortable with it.

But yeah, ideally I wouldn't protest in a pandemic, but authoritarian take-overs may not wait for it to be ideal times to protest.

I am hoping to do a weekend trip to Moab as a practical pandemic-era trip in the interim.

love