Author Topic: Post your top 5 overlooked flicks!  (Read 51987 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Post your top 5 overlooked flicks!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2005, 10:37:52 PM »
No particular order...

84 Charing Crossroads
Wrestling Earnest Hemingway
Plunket and McLane
Looking For Alibrandi
Beautiful Girls

Honorable Mention
That Thing You Do
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Kinsey

overlooked
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 12:20:44 AM »
Okay, first the most overlooked comedies:

Safe Men - particularly great if you love Paul Giamatti, Sam Rockwell, and Steve Zahn just half as much as I do..  There's lots of other amazing folks in this movie and it's incredibly funny without beating you over the head.

Happy Texas - again, Steve Zahn and it's hilarious.

Saving Silverman - okay, so Steve Zahn makes me laugh, and so do Jack Black and Amanda Peet (seriously overlooked comedic actress, it's almost a shame she's beautiful).

My last two, and I'm sure if I spent 30 minutes thinking about it, I could come up with another 10, are American Splendor and Passion Fish.

American Splendor has a great cast and a unique way of presenting a biography.  Also, Paul Giamatti in the lead is wonderful.  

Passion Fish, well, it's an amazing cast (with actors we never see enough of) and you can't ask for a better director, except...

Okay, I have to tack on a 6th film:Topsy Turvy.  It's visually stunning, amazing actors, and Mike Leigh, when he's great, is a spectacular director.  

These are all films I've watched at least a dozen times (many of them 2 dozen) and they never fail to satisfy.

whrwjapan

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 11:51:36 PM »
My top five overlooked films include some movies that got praise at the time, but somehow get pushed to the back of the Blockbuster (or Tsutaya for those of us living in Japan) pile.

5)  Fandango

This is a film that Kevin Costner actually acts a little in. Directed by Kevin Reynolds, this is the film that launched both of their careers. Set in Texas, my home state, it follows the last weekend of a group of college friends, two of whom must report for the Vietnam era draft on Monday. As an added bonus, you get to see Judd Nelson act without overusing his nostrils.

4)  Gallipoli

Set during World War One, the film follows two sprinters from Australia who travel from the Outback to the meatgrinder of trench warfare against the Turks. Mel Gibson is wonderful in a role that came before he was a star and reminds us why he is one. He is actually the number two star of the movie, which lets you know how early in his career this came.

3)  Bukaroo Banzai

This was mentioned earlier in the thread, and I have to agree that this is a movie that should have beem a big hit. Funny as hell, great cast, and filled with quotes that stick in your head. So good that I even enjoyed watching it with my mother as a teenager in the theatre when it came out.

2)  A Soldier's Story

Okay, so this one got three Academy Award Nominations (Picture, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay), but it never really gets the attention it should as a look into the relationship between whites and blacks and even within the black community itself. As a bonus for me, it was filmed at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas where my Grandfather did drill with the National Gaurd, and I got to see some of the filming, which included a young Denzel Washington.

1)  Breaker Morant

In my opinion, the best of the Australian Films from the late 70's to early 80's that marked the high water mark of Australian Cinema. Chronicles the court martial of a group of Special Force Officers during the Boer War in South Africa at the turn of the century.

The film mirrors the role Australia played in Vietnam, and examines the morality of war and honor among soldiers and friends.

Along with Cinema Paradiso, this is a film whose ending never fails to choke me up and reminds me that film when done right should be able to do more than entertain, it should be able to touch you deep inside.

spaceballstheflamethrower

top 5
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2005, 09:38:42 AM »
All right guys I'm going to go very modern here,(within the past 3 years)

5.Mr and Mrs Smith- Sam, your not crazy this a very good movie
4.The Matrix Revloutions-OK I'm a little bit of a Matrix fanboy but why all the hate?
3.Big Fish- This is by far my favorite Burton film and Ewan Mcgregor is great
2.The Matrix Reloaded- Maybe not underated at the time but now the popular thing to say is that the sequels sucked.  No that's just not the case.  Everything about this film is better than the original visuals, cast, plot, action, do I need to go on?  If you don't understand then your a dumbass. period.
1Ocean's Twelve- this film lives up to Oceans Eleven and then some.  I think it's some of the funniest acting.  Pitt and Clooney are great.  Don Cheadle out does himself again, and once again, if you didn't understand it and thats why you didnt like it, your a dumbass.

indieguy

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2005, 11:49:55 PM »
1. Buckaroo Banzai. Hey! Other people have seen it! Yay!
2. Harvie Krumpet (2003). This is an Australian short (only 20 minutes) done in claymation about this guy who has crazy things happen in his life and keeps going. Narrated by Geoffrey Rush. Really amazing.
3.  The Son (2002). This is French, and one of the best movies I've ever seen, about a wood shop teacher and a boy he begins to mentor. Not sentimental, not predictable. Totally absorbing.
4. The Caine Mutiny (1954). War film, less about war than command and problems under pressure, loyalty, and integrity.
5. Blackboard Jungle (1955). So tense! One of my top 5 movies about teaching.

Anonymous

Top 5 flicks
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2005, 09:13:14 AM »
In no particular order:

Between the Lines (1977)

Behind the scenes of an underground Boston newspaper on the verge of being bought out.  Great ensemble work by a then cast of unknows including Jeff Goldblum, John Heard, Bruno Kirby, Jill Eikenberry, Lindsay Crouse, etc.

Twice Upon a Time (1983)

Perhaps my favorite animated flick of all time.  Done in the exclusive Lumage process (imagine a fully rounded version of the cutout work done by Gilliam), and the only animated film produced by George Lucas, it is an ascerbically funny little fantasy about the evil Synonamess Botch trying to fill the world with nightmares.  Beautiful to watch, infinitely quotable ("Here's my resume.  It's a blank piece of paper but it is legal-sized and notarized."), and containing great voice work.  Released in two versions: a wider released PG version (found on subsequent video and LD releases) and a cruder, but funnier PG-13 to R version only seen in a handful of HBO showings back in the mid-80's.  If possible, that is the version to see.

The Adventures of Mark Twain (1986)

The only feature film from the Will Vinton studios, a beautifully realized claymation fantasy based on Twain's writings. Its dark tone (it centers on Twain sailing to meet Haley's Comet upon its return so that he can die) does not make it entirely kid friendly.  But in many ways, it is one of the truest adaptations of Twain's work out there (esp. the haunting sequences involving the Mysterious Stranger).

Ace in the Hole (aka The Big Carnival)  (1951)

The forgotten Billy Wilder masterpiece, starring Kirk Douglas as a reporter milking a mining disaster story for every last ounce of ink he can squeeze out of it, irregardless of the cost to those involved.  Shows on AMC from time to time...catch it if you can..its a real find.

Get Crazy (1983)

The funniest flick that no one has ever seen.  From the mind of Allan Arkush ("Rock and Roll High School") and based on his years working at the Fillmore, it centers on the back stage going-ons ata New Year's concert.  Great cast, including Malcolm McDowell in full Jagger mode, Lou Reed as a Dylan-like recluse, Ed Begley, Jr as the bad guy, Fabian and Bobby Sherman as his henchman, Daniel Stern, and a scene-stealing turn by Bill Henderson as King Blues.  Again, infintely quotable ("Pardon me while I bask in my own genius.").

Other great overlooked gems:

I Go Pogo (aka Pogo for President) - Smart political satire wrapped in a kids claymation fest.
The Unbelievable Truth - Great debut from indie filmmmaker Hal Hartley.  Probably his most accesible film.
The Ninth Configuration - Film written and directed by William Peter Blatty, centering around a hospital for mentally ill soldiers.
Lord Love a Duck - Another satire, this one from the 1960's starring Roddy Mcdowall as a nerd trying to fulfill the vapid dreams of the girl of his dreams (Tuesday Weld), irregardless of the cost.

mweston

• My blog
5, no 6... maybe 8 overlooked films
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2005, 03:21:13 PM »
These are selected from my top five films seen theatrically each year during 2001-4. All are available on DVD, and I feel they were overlooked in the U.S. None of them got even one Oscar nomination. They are in approximately descending order:[list=1]
  • Garden State (2004) -- Actually not as overlooked as the others, but it was a sleeper, and wasn't recognized at awards time.
  • The Son's Room (2001 or 2) -- If you liked In the Bedroom (which I considered to not be overlooked since it got several Oscar nominations), try this Italian film. It won the Golden Palm at Cannes.
  • Elephant (2003) -- Columbine-esque story with a Gus Van Sant style.
  • All or Nothing (2002) -- This played locally for only one week, but Mike Leigh is a genius.
  • Lantana (2001) -- Well recognized in its native Australia, but mostly ignored here.
  • Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001) -- Very fun and very original.[/list:o]For a couple of older films, I would also nominate:
    • The Last Seduction (1994) -- Robbed of any chance at Oscars since it showed first on HBO. On Ebert's top ten list.
    • Living in Oblivion (1995) -- Maybe not quite as good as my other choices, but it's about independent filmmaking, and it's a good (but not sympathetic) performance by Catherine Keener (really!).
    -- Mike W.
- Mike "One's a Party, One's a Crowd" Weston

StacieG2002

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2005, 08:48:04 PM »
2 I'd like to add are :

Beautiful Girls
Nobody's Fool (the one with Paul Newman)

Rogue

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2005, 08:54:33 PM »
Also in no particular order:

A Simple Plan
The Battle of Algiers
The Iron Giant
Equilibrium
Bound

SkylineFires

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2005, 11:35:28 PM »
1 - Baraka (for all you visuals nuts)

2 - The Dish (fantastic Austrailian comedy)

3 - Hanabi (amazing Kitano film)

4 - Behind the Sun (I can only hope it isn't overlooked)

5 - How to Kill your neighbor's Dog (great comedy)

I added some comedy, because it is hard to find these days, at least in   any intellectual form.

I saw Cherish on someone's list, and would second that film as well.
ndre is the best film since Robot Jox.